Any Zenobia users out there?

jordan_w.

The subject says it all. I don't hear much mention of Zenobia 6x4.5

folders, made by Daiichi Optical Company in (I believe) the 1950s.

Mine has a 75mm f/3.5 Hesper Anastigmat lens with a DOC-Rapid shutter.

Speeds from 1-1/500th including B, apertures down to f/22. Focus is by

scale and film advance by the "red window" method.

Mine has a slightly hazy lens -- which enabled me to get it from that

auction site for a great price -- but I love it. It is super-compact

when folded and it takes nice pictures (though slightly flare-prone at

times, probably due to the haze?) It is well-made and has a real

quality feel to it -- much more so than my Moskva 5. The

scale-focussing doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it

would.

Any other Zenobia fans out there?

Maybe not a "fan", but a "user". It's one of my "classics", and not the least used either.

Considering that I learned photography on a folder, scale focussing and exposure guesswork is not a problem at all. The only thing that bothers me with mine is that the scale is in feet - and I think in meters!

The first Zenobia, I bought 4 years ago and had the Hesper lens but, I had to remove the front cell due to hazy lens. I cleaned and was perfect. One year ago, I traded it for a 6x4.5 mask for my 1955 MX Super Ikonta C+ early Zeiss literature.

The second Zenobia, I bought 2 years ago in E++ condition with the Neo-Hesper lens that I believe is a Tessar copy. It gives me excellent pictures and I would agreed; it does not compare with my Moskva 5. Fortunately, I have the Watameter rangefinder that measures in feet.

I've got a couple; one was quite good until the bellows tanked, and i'm still hoping to work up the courage to make a new bellows for it (never done that before). Lens is a Tessar type and pretty good, though the coating isn't as effective as some others (a common situation in the late 40s/early 50s). they made their OWN shutter, and it's a beautiful piece of work, looks as nice as a seiko or compur inside.

the other one is an early example, and the shutter (though it looks identical outside) is a real mess: rough machining, parts don't fit... i suspect it never worked quite right and i sure can't make it work now. interesting to see how they improved so fast.....

:)=