Any word on next generation 580EX Speedlite?

chris_newkumet2

<p>Sorry to pester with one of those annoying "what have you heard?" posts, but I'm preparing to replace two of my Canon Speedlite 580EX (mk I) flashes. The Mk II has been out for a white, and the Strobist has brought a boatload of new attention to speedlite-based lighting, so I'm wondering if maybe Canon is working on the next best thing. If not, I'll just replace with the 580EX MkII...</p>

<p>Didn't the 580EX II only come out about a year ago? Speedlite designs tend to last 3 or 4 years. I recall the 430EX debuted in 2005 and was replaced with the 430EX MK II 3 years later. Pretty minor update too. The 220EX lasted from the mid-90s until 2009, replaced by the 270EX, a major redesign.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why would anyone care? The current version is more than adequate.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've read endless complaints about the foot design having contact problems. I don't own one and haven't experienced said problem but it might warrant a new foot resign. 580EX Mark 2F maybe...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Ha, I hope they're not getting upgraded anytime soon since I just bought five of them. One used from

Adorama and four on sale from Amazon since they're on <a

href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NP3DJW?ie=UTF8&tag=pixoul-

20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000NP3DJW">instant rebate through

16-Jan 2010</a> ($50 instant rebate from Canon plus $50+ instant rebate from Amazon). If you're going

go Strobist now is the time to do it since Amazon has them cheaper new than most places are selling

them used.

<p>I don't think Amazon is cheaper than B&H or Adorama right now. All three have the 580EX II at $395-$400. That includes the Canon rebate. I don't think Amazon are giving another $50 off. I think the $50 "instant rebate" on Amazon is just the Canon rebate.</p>

<p>I'm sure Canon are working on a 580EX III, but nobody knows when it will be released or what the difference from the 580 EX II will be. I'm guessing not much.</p>

Right, the $50 + $50 is compared to MSRP; Amazon is $391.95 right now which is only a few dollars less

than B&H and Adorama but is really convenient for people taking advantage of Amazon's frequent Prime

free shipping trials. From Amazon's pricing description:

<blockquote>Purchase this product from Amazon.com and save $50 instantly. Original price of $499.99 -

$50 instant savings = price of $449.99. Price in your Shopping Cart includes manufacturer's instant

savings. Plus, save instantly on other qualifying Canon lenses, Speedlites and more. Offer valid through

January 16, 2010.</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>I've read endless complaints about the foot design having contact problems. I don't own one and haven't experienced said problem...</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>The foot design with my 580 EX (mark 1) was plastic without "contact problems". The metal foot design with my 580 EX II is an improvement with respects to strength and ease of insertion/removal on/from a light stand flash holder. No "contact problems" with the current version either. From experinece, it is a better flash overall than the (mark 1) copy.</p>

<p>Re: new 580ex, I have seen nothing on canonrumours.com about a new version.<br>

Re: what's wrong with the Canon flash system? Many things or nothing depending on your viewpoint. I would like off camera second curtain sync and wireless. Others have had a few thoughts on the subject: http://pixsylated.com/2009/07/syl-arena-canon-speedlite-wishlist/<br>

Re 283 ''old light' : I have that as an action in photoshop</p>

<blockquote>

<p>does this mean the light from my 1981-83 vivitar 283s is outdated?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes. Its spectral characteristics is unpredictible (way, way off the manufacturer specified color temperature and most likely pretty random) and so is the intensity of the light. Both factors of course may or may not matter to you.</p>