Any way to fix an old Nikon SB-400?

videodave

I bought my SB-400 used from B&H a little over a year ago. It was great at first, but now it powers up, ready light comes on, flash options are available in D850 and Z6 menus, but no flash! Or, occasionally, a flash but not a proper exposure.

I would dearly like to get it fixed as I know of nothing else as light and handy. Is there any chance of doing so? The Nikon repair center online estimator won't accept it.

If it can't be fixed, is there a reasonable replacement, similarly small, using 2 AA's, similar quality?

If it can't be fixed, is there a reasonable replacement, similarly small, using 2 AA's, similar quality?

Buy another SB-400 - they sell in the $50-$80 range and I can't imaging a repair can be economical.

It is a great little flash and works amazingly well on the Z6ii (my only reference). There are loads of them out there and Kamerastore.com usually have some in stock.

Edited by NHSN
Niels

It was great at first, but now it powers up, ready light comes on, flash options are available in D850 and Z6 menus, but no flash! Or, occasionally, a flash but not a proper exposure.

It sounds as if the hotshoe isn't making proper contact with the camera. Have you checked for corrosion of the pins?

It might be something trivial like that, or dry joints in the hotshoe foot.

You could try contacting B+H. If you've only had it for about a year they may feel generous and exchange it. Or at least give you a decent discount on a replacement.