consider returning under warranty, but I'm sure I've voided it due to using

3rd party black ink (which works fine). I don't use the printer that

frequently and I am now learning that pigment inks tend to clog more readily

than dye based ones, if that's the case I'm going back to a dye inkjet (I

know... dyes don't last long, but my family doesn't use the printer for

anything that has to last, just kids' school projects that only need to

survive long enough to get a grade). Thanks in advance for any ideas that you

might be able to share.

I sent my Epson back under warranty because of similar problems. I had been using non Espon inks but replaced the cartridges with Epson before returning it for repair. No problem,it was returned with the system fully working.

I continued using Epson inks but a few months later the same thing happened to the yellow ink. This time it was out of warranty and no matter what I did I could not clear it. I now use the more expensive HP printer where the jets are attached to the ink cartridge and if necessary can be taken out and cleaned by careful wiping.

Unless you use the printer every few days the inks dry in the jets and no matter what cannot be cleared. I would not buy an Epson unless you are using it every day.

A friend and I did a "sience" project a while back on two back alley found C82. while one printer after 3weeks printed exellent, the other went gruadually down hill to complete clogging, even with the use of those special approved print head cleaners. The mistake that killed the good revived unit was leaving the cartriges out ( wile swaping back and fort on the other unit) and allowing the print head and the cartrige to accumulate dried crud.

The other problem apeared from bubles inside the cartrige system wich caused ink feeding problems.

the moral of the story: When swapping cartriges its important to immediatley seal the port on the cartrige taken out and not leave the nipples of the print head exposed to air for any time. Store the cartrige in its upright position, not laying flat.

Ohh yea, we did a post mortem on those print heads and it's amazing the complex and intricate system that makes it work.

Good luck, Michel

I don't know C86, but my two year old 2200 stays on for weeks at a time, between uses. Very dry climate. It's never given a moment's grief..no sign whatsoever of clogging. Of course, we all know the non-pigment inks are death on these pigment machines, with the arguable exception of MIS.

I work at cartridgeworld and i have to debug printers as part of my job.

To me it sounds like the heads have dried up. When did the ink run out? Have you tried a different set of cartridges (just in case the breather hole is damaged or blocked)?

If the heads are blocked it'll be a tough job on an Epson (heads on cartridges are much easier to unblock). To get it repaired will cost a bit but much easier to do than taking apart and haing a bash yourself (considering how much it costs).

I use a chemical called "nozzle rocket" to clear dried heads. Its probably just some bog-standard cleaning fluid relabelled which works a treat.

Plus, how are they going to know you've used 3rd party inks? They arent going to check up on that

Once you get your Epson going again, it's going to.....clog up again. So just get a HP 8750

and you'll never have to think about clogs again. The inks are rated at 108 years. None of my

ink has yet been used for cleaning cycles--it goes on the paper where it's supposed to.

So just get a HP 8750..."

Scott,

HP printers are not without theirs problems.

1- For longevity, you're stuck with HP brand papers and are sucked into a captive market. While paper technology is now moving away from plastic, HP papers are plastic based.

2- Pizza wheel tracks on prints have been a problem

3- High cost of operation. Some have reported $5. per print for A3+ size.

4- Prints are easely smudged with any kind of dampness.

It's hard to imagine HP staying in the photo printer market with the present technology...they're a pretty good company otherwise, and their shareholders wouldn't want them playing third fiddle behind Epson and Canon (or Canon and Epson).

I think serious imagemakers appreciate that the C86 is a throwaway, ultimately, and they understand that the toss-date is accelerated by using non-Epson pigments. Nice printer, otherwise.

The paper choices available to Epson are fabulous. I've got B&W prints on a dozen different fine papers by a dozen different photographers (via print exchanges), all Epson 1280, 2200, 2400, C86 etc...the paper and the operator's skill are more important than the printer IMO.

• 1 month later...

This was a question I wanted to put to John Noble who said he'd worked at Cartridge WOrld and these used Nozzle Rocket cleaning fluid. I have just bought some nozzle rocket and I wondered if I could get some advice from John on how to use the fluid to unclogg my C86.

Thanks

Keith