Any thread adapter for copal 1?

oskar_ojala

<p>Hi,<br>

I want to mount a G-Claron 210/9 to my small format camera. Apparently it has a Copal 1 thread, M39x0.75 mm. Does anyone know of any adapters to adapt it to some more common thread size, e.g. T2 or 52 mm filter threads?<br>

I would prefer a ready-made solution, but if such is not to be found, then I'll consider making some sort of "mini lensboard" with a common thread on the backside or having a custom thread adapter made.</p>

<p>SRB, now SRB-Griturn (Google will find them), used to list the adapter you want. I had SRB make a female #1-to-male T thread adapter years ago. This was before they made it a stock item. I still use it, am not thrilled by it 'cos it is basically a thin-walled filter step ring so feels somewhat flimsy. Robust enough and works well enough, makes me a little uneasy.</p>

<p>Check prices with SRB and SKGrimes.</p>

<p>What will you use to focus?</p>

<p>Oskar, I just woke up and realized that I'd given you slightly mistaken advice. My little SRB adapter is M40x0.75 in front, was made to let me mount lenses that front-mount on a #1 shutter, e.g., MP-4 Tominons, on, e.g., a Nikon bellows with the help of a female T-male Nikon F adapter.</p>

<p>SRB and SKGrimes can both make what you need, ask both of them for prices.</p>

<p>You'll have to use a bellows to focus the lens at all. So get a bellows that fits your camera and replace its front with one threaded for M39x0.75. Any decent machine shop could make that. </p>

<p>You might get hold of SK Grimes, since they specialize in machine work for cameras.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<blockquote>

<p>There's a loud echo here.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>:-)<br>

I have two different bellows, two different variable length extension tubes, normal fixed extension tubes and a bunch of adapters so I believe the focusing part is adequately covered. If not, then I can get one more tube, but I don't think it will come to that.<br>

I'll check out SRB-Griturn, but I have an order with them now which I want them to complete before I consider anything new. Since I'm in Europe, S.K. Grimes might not be worth it, too much money spent on mailing. The actual lens is very cheap, so I wouldn't like to spend too much on machining -- I might just see if for example taking a filter step-down ring, enlarging the hole and fastening it with a jam nut would work out.<br>

What I intend to use the lens for is to try it as a relay lens for stacked macro setups. Of course I will try it by itself, but f9 is quite slow for a small format camera. (incidentally, I need new LF lenses, but that's another story..)</p>

<p>Oskar, a problem with the "mutilated filter step ring" approach is that there seem to be no 42 mm filters. If 52 works for you, you're in business. I did something like that to put a filter ring around an El Nikkor so I could attach a flash holder to it, sandwiched the ring between two M39 tubes.</p>

<p>I don't know which small format system(s) you're using or which 200 mm lens(es) you have for it/them. I appreciate that f/9 seems small for viewing, but is probably isn't for taking. The 210/9 G-Claron -- I take it that you have the later plasmat type, they're much more common than the earlier dagor type that I have -- is supposed to be quite a good lens. The dagor type is quite good. I also have a 210/9 Konica Hexanon GRII that's better than my 200/4 MicroNikkor AIS at all distances and all apertures from f/9 down. Haven't shot the G-Claron against the MicroNikkor. I think y'r G-Claron is well worth trying out.</p>

<p>FWIW, when I try a lens out out I often bodge up an adapter from an extension tube and darkroom tape so that I can shoot it on a Nikon or M39 bellows. Saves the cost and bother of getting a proper adapter for a lens that hasn't passed acceptance testing. If the lens passes then I think about a proper adapter for it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Oskar, a problem with the "mutilated filter step ring" approach is that there seem to be no 42 mm filters. If 52 works for you, you're in business.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yeah, you're right and giving it a closer thought, 52 mm will be pretty good since it will easily clear the rear element and since I mainly use Nikon, I have plenty of different 52 mm accessories. It would probably be easiest to get a 52->40.5 step down adapter and use that as a "board".</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The 210/9 G-Claron -- I take it that you have the later plasmat type, they're much more common than the earlier dagor type that I have -- is supposed to be quite a good lens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I haven't actually received it yet, but the barrel is the post-70's style, looks like a plasmat to me in the brochure. As I said, I have a clear use for it, but the lens was actually so cheap that the shipping ended up costing more then the lens and I've gotten pretty good mileage out of German plasmats, so it will be interesting to do some tests.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>FWIW, when I try a lens out out I often bodge up an adapter from an extension tube and darkroom tape so that I can shoot it on a Nikon or M39 bellows.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I usually use a cardboard cutout and duct tape :-)<br>

But I agree about testing before getting proper adapters. Most of the time, though, my lenses fit some pretty common thread size, so I can utilize the adapters I already have. With the G-Claron, the filter threads are standard 49 mm, but I need to use those and the mounting threads. I skipped the G-Claron 150/9 since it had too uncommon threads.</p>