Any still use their old Nikon Film Cameras

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by michael_scott_r, Jun 13, 2011.

1. A couple of weeks ago, while getting ready for a trip to New York with my wife for our anniversary, I was getting my photo gear together and planning the trip when I came across my old camera bag. It was in the very back of my closet and I pulled it out and set it on the table while I dug some other stuff out. My wife came in and said, "Hey isn't that your old camera gear" I said yea but I haven't used it in many years. She asked me why not. I went into this long dissertation of how everything was digital now and film was old and no one used it anymore etc. etc... She just listened to me and walked off with a smile on her face like she knew something I didn't. So I continue my getting ready regiment when finally that old camera bag got the best of me... I opened it up and there in all of it's pre-digital days of glory was my old Nikon N6006...
    I took it out and played with it thinking of the many hours I spent using this camera and learning the craft, then one day all of sudden it was retired for a new whiz bang D1 digital camera. Well in this bag was a 35mm AF Nikon lens, a 50mm e Nikon lens, a 24mm sigma, a sunpak flash and several colored filters and a Sigma 28-200 lens. I tried to turn it on, but there were no batteries in it... I looked around in the bottom of the bag and found two Duracell batteries and I promptly loaded them in the camera and turned it on and to my surprise the N6006 came to life. The camera still had a roll of Tmax in it, with a couple more rolls in the bottom of the bag. I re-wound the film after finally remembering how to rewind the film. I then thought let me take this camera out and give it a run through. I loaded one of the old rolls of Tmax and went out to my yard and started shooting. I shot my wife's flowers, our shih-zu dog and a very large yard lizard dining on a insect of some type.
    I went to my local pro lab and had them develop the film including the one that was still in the camera. I have to tell you, I had a lot of fun with that old Nikon N6006 film camera, so much so I took it and only it to New York the following weekend for our trip. I left my Nikon D3s home and I did not miss it a bit.
    I really had a whole lot of fun with that old Nikon N6006. Here is my flickr site I set up just for his camera and the pictures I took with it. Please check it out and let me know what you think. I think more people should break out their old Film cames and give it a try. I think you will find like myself that the fun is still there. Now I know what that smile on my wife was all about that day, I pulled my old camera out of the back of the closet.
    Oh the pictures in the camera were of my son playing baseball when he was in middle school, he is now in his third year at Central Florida University, that is how long it has been since I used that old N6006.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/35bwshooter/

2. You have a modern Nikon film camera. :) Except for an F3HP, which is new to me last year, all my 35mm cameras are Nikon F's and a couple of Nikkormat FTNs.
    No digital SLR's here. :)

3. I occasionally dust off my FM and N8008 just for fun but always as a companion with the digital on outings.
    To me, old cameras are like old cars we keep for nostalgia; good for occasional weekend fun but totally impractical as daily drivers.

4. I frequently use film (besides digital). I use a F100, n80 and n55. One for slide, one for negative, and one for special film (bw, high ISO) I also use a Yashica Mat 124 and Mamiya M645.

5. Yea I guess you are right Sunley, it is new compared to the F3HP, still pretty old in my book though... I think I am going to look for an old Nikon Manual body camera to play around with next. I use to have an old Nikon FG... who knows???

6. Congrats on re-discovering your film camera.
    There are a number of us around here that are still shooting film cameras, Nikon and otherwise. The Classic Manual Cameras and Modern Film Cameras forums are all about it.

7. I recently picked up an N2000 for dirt cheap so that I could shoot some film with my old manual focus Nikkors. Not long after that, I picked up an older Nikomat for even less money. I don't shoot a lot of film since I don't have a lot of available funds for developing costs, but I enjoy shooting film every now and then because it makes me slow down and think about what I'm doing. There's something to be said for being limited to 24 or 36 frames. You tend to try to make them all count.

8. 'I think more people should break out their old Film cameras...' Perhaps fewer people should relegate them to the depths of a closet in the first place? ;)
    Film is alive and quite well here. Just finished a roll of TRI-X in the F100, an FE2 has Pan F Plus, the F2SB is midway through a roll of TRI-X and I just gave away as a birthday present a beautiful, black FM2n and 28/2.8 AIS loaded with HP5 Plus. Sover Wong, master of F2 repairs, announced in recent months that he has replacement resistor rings for the DP-3 (F2SB) and DP-12 (F2AS) prisms so mine have been seeing more action as I use those bodies with impunity! Amongst casual conversations over the past couple years I have noticed more people taking a break from their digital bodies, and associated tasks(!), to burn film. More than one person has remarked that the experience is liberating. No argument here.

9. I still use a Nikon FE2.

10. The camera I normally shoot is an F100. I print black and white in my darkroom. I have the color negative film developed, scan it on a CoolScan V, and post process in CS5.
    One of these days I may purchase a DSLR. Until then, it is the F100, a Bronica S2A, and for digital, a point and shoot Canon PowerShot Pro 1 for digital. Oh, yes and my old Ziess Contaflex IV if I feel nostalgic.

11. Now, as far as Nikon is concerned, nothing older than an F2 (or newer than an F4S); but until recently I often went out with an F over my shoulder or an S2 in my pocket.

12. I still shoot Nikon film cameras: F5, F100, N90S, Nikkormat FT, FT3 and FG20. I love these cameras and often use them with color films, occasionally with B&W.

13. I have 4 frames left in my F100 since my Xmas trip, then I will export my 6 rolls to Dwaynnes, I live in NZ. It is cheape and I import new film as it is v expensive here, at maybe $18US a pop for slide film or perhaps $10US for negative film.
    I also have about 20 frames in my FM2N now also since my Xmas trip, that has Fuji 160 ProS. I wanted to compare how neg and slide film are side/side.
    My fav of the two is the manual focus body as it is more simple and less bulky. Also the lenses can be smaller. I just like to shoot slides. Even if I take my digital D70 I only shoot off 25 frames per day on average. I like slides because there is no post processing, I like to look a them on a lightbox. When they are scanned on my V700 they just don't look as good. I might get a Coolscan sometime but there would still be differences thru this intermediate step. I pretty much only shoot scapes and if I pick slide film, the colors just jump at me.
    If I did sports, streets, portraits, I guess digital would make more sense from purely to get the right shot by shooting more and the financial side of things.
    I still have some neg film in the freezer and some Provia 400s. Other than that .. my slow slides are used up. Next order might be medium format but I may get a few rolls for 35mm just to stock up.

14. I have an F601 which is the European name for the N6006 (why have different names?). For old Nikon, I also have my FG and a couple of Fs in my late father's collection which I should put some film through soon.

15. I love my F90 and use it daily. Along with a Nikon p&s. Great fun and awesome results!

16. I like them.

Less the sepia ones though.

17. My wife hasn't joined the DSLR world yet and still uses her F100 shooting slides. All my Nikon film cameras have been sold off with the exception of my first F3HP that is now 30+ years old and likely will not see another film run through it. If and when I feel the urge to shoot some film it will most likely be B&W and I will use the two Leica rangefinders that I inherited; I purchased some XP2 a while back for that purpose. I also have some XP2 waiting to go into the two Rolleiflex SL66 cameras that I also inherited; just can't get myself to part with either system. Neither is as convenient as using a DSLR - but I may take either for spin in the not too distant future.

18. I have just come back from a photographic holiday. I took my F3, 20mm, 28mm, 50mm, 85mm and 135mm manual primes and many rolls of Fuji Reala. I took no digital camera at all and despite the film and processing costing over 50 pounds I am happy with the results. So film alive and well here.
    I used film because I appreciate the bright and open look that does not have odd (washed out)blue skies or burnt out bright areas (or sooty and dark) I get with digital. That is probably my fault in some way but I wanted to relax and enjoy the experience and the easy going nature of the Reala film made that possible.

19. I used my F90 twice since I bought my D70 in 2004. One time in a photo class where the teacher told she could see the differences in color and she could see, but she was 100% wrong all film photo's were picked as digital and the second time was for the last two 3200 asa film.

20. She asked me why not. I went into this long dissertation of how everything was digital now and film was old and no one used it anymore​
    I don't know what ever gave you that idea. Still using and enjoying my F2, F3HP and FM2n. Try some of the new Kodak Portra films and prepare to be amazed.

21. I only shoot film, except for the times I wish to post something to the internet, then I use one of them new fangled digital gizmos; a Canon G11.
    Not being a professional, whatever a professional digital camera would give me, I don't need. Instead, for 35mm, I prefer a Nikon F3HP or a F2 where I get to focus, set the speed and aperture all by myself. In the case of the F2; completely battery independent except for the meter. Or even my my old Leica M2 where I gotta do everything by myself.
    The Hasselblad 501CM has as much electronics built in as the M2. The pictures that come out of this camera will kick the poo out of any digital camera, I personally, could ever hope to afford.
    Part of it must be the familiarity and simplicity of my film cameras that I prefer, then there is the fact that when I have only 36 frames on this roll of film, with only 4 left to go, I tend to take my time and enjoy the process a bit more.

22. I love shooting film but I don't do it as much as I would like. I don't know why.
    Have two F80s with split screens that I use with AI/AI-S lenses, mostly 35mm f/2.

23. I'm pretty much a weirdo with digital and film. I grew up as an avid film photographer, with mediocre results at best. When digital became affordable I sold off most of my film gear. The thing is, digital gave me the instant feedback I needed to learn what I was doing wrong. I could see what happened in various situations, with various settings, and finally got the results I wanted.

Or didn't want! While I got better technically, and now most of my digital shots are in focus and properly exposed, they still don't grab me or move me. So I switched back. I now take more time and get more satisfaction shooting a roll of TMAX than from any of my digital cameras. I capture a lot of stuff on slide film too, and color print, and recently began printing color in my darkroom. What a hoot!

I took 3 Nikon film cameras on vacation last month, an N75, N80, and an Action AF waterproof camera. The results were very very nice. Here's a shot on Provia 400 with the waterproof wonder
    :[​IMG]

24. I was fed-up with the D200's DX sensor just before 2010's summer holidays. So I brought the F3T along with slidefilms on our trip to Norway. It worked just as intuitively as it always did.

After our return, I had the films developed. They looked all good! Even my way of exposure with the camera was still intuitive, apparently. But..

I STILL HAVEN'T FRAMED AND ACTUALLY VIEWED THE SLIDES since then. It just isn't in my workflow anymore.. :-(

25. mtk

mtk

Hi Mike, film very much alive in my house....Each of my sons have an FE, I shoot with an F100, FE,FM,F3 and a 1967 F. Full wet darkroom. All beside my D90 digi.
    Thanks for sharing your story!
    Mark

26. I mostly use my D700, but my F5 - bought as back-up for when my D700 needs cleaning - got wheeled out a few weeks ago to take some photos of bluebells (I think there's some metamerism that Velvia handles better than bayer filters). I have a better range of lenses for it than my Pentax 645, which also got used. If I ever get around to picking up an F75, I'll probably do more film black-and-white when I want something portable and cheap; currently an Eos 500 (not digital) is on that duty, with a Bessa R as back-up.

27. I do drag out my old 8008s once in a while and run a roll of slide film through it. I would probably shoot it more often, as I grew up shooting Kodachrome 25/64, but it is getting more difficult to find someone to process slide film. Here (Raleigh, NC, USA) we do have a great lab (JW Photo) but if I need any prints made from the slides, they're going to scan them and just turn them into a digital file. I don't know of anyone who still prints old fashioned Cibachromes any more. So if my slide film is going to wind up as a digital file anyway, why bother? I just pull out a digital camera.

28. While I don't shoot any 35mm any more, I have been shooting historic cameras quite a bit for the past year. I have a 1937 Voigtlander Bessa, a 1914 Kodak No. 1 Special, and lenses for my 4x5 that date to 1860. I only shoot b&w film.
    Kent in SD

29. Used my F-5 last week. It still is and always will be an awesome camera.

30. I have used my Nikon F90X with film in the past year with excellent results but will now tend to grab the D7000. I still like film although it is not as available as it was as well as the processing. I have three film cameras of different degrees of technology ... the F90X, a Minolta X700 and an old Olympus that is totally manual (this is how you really learn about aperture and shutter speeds). In addition I have a couple an antique medium format cameras that I have collected over the years (and have used just for the fun of it). While I still have all of my B&W dark room equipment, I am learning the world of DSLR. While I still expect to use film at times the "main camera" today is the D7000.

31. I still like to shoot B&W film. Here is a shot from a roll of APX100 I developed last night. Didn't use my FM2 though, this one is from my Zorki1. I have a roll almost shot in my FM2. The Zorki fits in my bag better though so gets carried more and I don't have a manual focus 50mm in Nikon mount.
    00Yt6V-369175584.jpg

32. I last used my Nikkormat last September, and I'm slowly working on a roll of film now (I try to only take a picture when it counts). Between the time I put that roll in the camera and now, the minilab I was using in my neighbourhood has closed, and while there is an actual pro/commercial place nearby, it's much too expensive for my casual use. So it has to be digital most of the time, with film only occasionally.

33. I shoot film a lot. Always have 2 bodies loaded with film. I use film cameras in rotation, two at a time, just to keep the fun coming. I still have every camera (and lens) I bought since day 1 (1987). Mostly Nikons, FE2, FM2, F3HP, F801s, F100, plus a Hasselblad 500cm, an Olympus OM1n, and 3 Konica Auto S2s.
    Loading the film, advancing the frames, releasing the shutter.... just make me feel right. Still keep the wet darkroom, doing B&W only. For colors I sent out.
    Of course, there is digital, but that is another story.

34. I take out my F100 and my F5 for walks with Ektachrome ISO 100 on a nice afternoon... and also shoot a
    Nikon S2 (rangefinder camera made sometime in 1955) with its kit lens: a 50mm f1.4 wonder.

Other than that, I shoot with Leicas. My latest infatuation is the M5. I have two, and also use both (one
    with B&W, the other with color).

Film is alive and well in this corner of the world...

35. I use my Film Camera's quite often.
    I am the designated Dad With a Camera for my son's baseball team. I mostly shoot with my D3, but one game I shot B&W using my F5. Ever since then, I have been getting more requests for B&W pictures from the F5. Now I alternate between the D3 and the F5. I shoot one inning digital and one inning film. It expensive, but lots of fun. And the parents love the look of the B&W.

36. Stuart, your Zorki lens looks to have a very nice bokeh.

37. I was about to sell off my remaining manual focus Nikon lenses, when I came across an old friend, my Nikon FM that I bought new in 1979. The memories. Then nostalgia came over me. It is so small and easy to use, but with a screen ruined from the old foam goo, I decided to "upgrade" to a used Nikon FMn2 from Keh.com. And once I bought that, I had the nerve to replace the "non-replaceable" screen in my FM with a new 3rd generation screen. That actually worked out well. So now I have two great classic Nikon film cameras, and I use them! I haven't yet gone digital. I'm close to buying a decent digital camera, but dang it, if they could just make a digital version of the Nikon FM!

38. Thanks Jose, I am very pleased with it.

39. Looks like I am not the only one enjoying those old Film cameras. I will keep shooting mine and my next trip will be to the capital I think...

40. I find certain shooting situations are better with the old manual cameras. One example is time exposures of fireworks. With a manual film camera, I can shoot a 10 second shot crank the film advance and shoot another 10 second exposure. With my D70, after I take the 10 second exposure, I have to wait for the camera to "process" the image before I can shoot the next shot. This is irritating during a fireworks show when you are trying to shoot one after another in a short period of time, the processing time seriously reduces the number of shots I am able to shoot within that short period of time.
    I enjoy film enough that I am rebuilding my film kit. Just picked up an F3HP to replace my pre-AI F2. And I want to get some of the older 1-ring manual focus zooms. The smoothness of the zoom+focus ring makes most current lenses look bad.

41. Nikon S2 w/50mm f1.4 (sonnar designed lens)Gave up on the Nikkormat series & Nikon D1 and Nikon F4 (too heavy). F4 good for sports but not for carrying about all day.replaced with Nikon F3HP & 35mm f2.0 Zeiss & 105mm f2.5 Ai-S. I have other Ai-S lenses but that is the basic kit.

42. Hi Stuart,
    Nice photo, expecially for available light on an ISO 100 film.
    Which developer did you use for the APX100?

43. Yes, still shooting only with FE and F4. Might get an F100 soon for situations where fast autofocus tracking is needed. Still don't see a reason to switch to DSLR. For occasional shooting of landscape and family portraits the film cameras are good enough, and cheaper too.

44. Thanks Brooks, it was Rodinal 50-1 for 8 min 23-24 deg C. That's my room temp at the moment and my fix was at that temp so used that as my working temp. I do tend to work at 23-24 deg C quite alot.

45. I belong to a film photography group, and I regularly shoot black and white film in an F2A and an FM2n. Also in Mamiya, Rollei and Voigtlander medium format cameras.

46. I'm still using my old Nikon film gear, usually loaded with B/W film, often side by side with my digitals.
    I still haven't found out how to get the B/W look with a digital. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

47. I still use 35mm film much more than digital - F2AS, FA, FM3a, F100, F4, F5 & F6 (two of them!). And a D700 which I mainly use when I know that I will either be taking many hundreds of pictures (thus avoiding eons of scanning) or if I know I will take pictures where seeing the end result quickly is essential (long exposures etc).

48. I still use my Nikon F 100 and Nikon N 80 and nikon N 75 on a regular bassis

49. Yeah! I use the F3 most often but I also use the FM and F5. Can't shoot digital because I don't have a digital camera.

50. I shoot film all the time. I have a few manual focus Minoltas but have been neglecting them lately in favor of my
    Nikons - F3HP, FE2 and F100. I'm leaving in a couple days for a wedding in CA and bringing my F100 with my new
    50/1.8 AFS and Tamron 70-300VC (I just nail every shot with the F100), and depending on how much room I have in
    my bag maybe the FE2 with the 100/2.8 Series E and/or my 28-75/2.8.

I've got a ziplock bag of film in my fridge to take with me, and keep changing my mind and swapping the films. What
    do you guys think? The short list is Portra in 160 and 400 (new and NC), Reala, Pro 800Z, HP5+, and E100GX.

51. I mainly use a leica M6 and large format sinar, but keep an F90x with a 55mmf/3.5 macro for close up work and an ancient plain prism nikon F with a 15mm f/4.5 voigtlander heliar for ultra wide-angle use.

52. @Stuart - Thank you. I use Rodinal 1+50 with APX-100, too, albeit at 20C. and develop for 13 minutes. I still have a few rolls left in the freezer.
    @Andy - For color print film I like Ektar 100. The grain is minimal and the colors, although saturated, are very good - especially when I move from outside to indoors shooting with flash on the same roll. I have not tried the new Portra, yet. However, for me, films forte is black and white. I prefer Delta 100 or TMAX-100 to conventional films because of the fine grain.

53. FM3A and an assortment of AiS lenses, including 20 f2.8, 35 f1.4 AiS, 45 AiP Tessar, 50 f1.2 AiS and 105 f2.8 Micro AiS. The films include T-Max, TriX, and assorted Ilford B&W films. The mechanical cameras are loads and loads of fun. Recently I've been playing with my new GF1 with an LVF1 viewfinder. This camera I attach a fotodiox Nikon G adaptor and use anyone of my Nikkors, whether AiS or AFD or G as manual focus lenses.

54. Hi
    The funny thing is that I only bought my first Nikon film camera (used) by the time I already had my third Nikon DSLR (D700), I got a FM2 and later on a F80 (that allows me to use G lenses).
    Before digital my 35mm gear was Olympus (OM1 and OM2n) - at present time the OM1 is loaded with Ilford HP4, but my last developed negatives (color) came from the F80.

55. I haven't shot film for awhile, but might get back to shooting more Velvia with my F2AS and N80. I'm missing the much more natural looking slides and to me more detail/resolution than I get with D300s, as nice a camera as it is. Digital at times is great, like when shooting cityscapes or buildings, then at other times, with subjects like trees or even sunsets, I'm often disappointed compared to film. And I do miss that wow factor when getting a box of great slides back from the lab. But then again I also miss the $15 every time I buy & process a roll of film, so on second thought. . .

56. When I first read the original posting, I thought it was a joke. The narrative reminded me of that scene in Woody Allen's "Sleeper", where, after waking up 200 years in the future, Woody's character finds a Volkswagen Beetle, which starts without difficulty, prompting Woody to exclaim, "they sure built these things to last". A priceless line, even aside from the irony that it was written by a Jew concerning Nazi Germany's iconic product.
    Anyway, I've never used a digital camera. I love getting slides back from the lab, especially after a big trip somewhere. Making a photograph on film brings me a level of pleasure that has never diminished over the years, despite everything else that has happened in my life.
    I'm back on these forums again, after an extended absence due to an illness which almost killed me. I couldn't wait to pick up a camera again. Feels wonderful, still.

57. I bought my F100 last Fall and have fallen in love with it. In fact it usually rides in the bag with my 7D on a daily basis. I even picked up an N80 to keep it company. As for "old" Nikons, I've got film in my FTN and F3HP, and am just about finished with a roll in my F. Then there are the old Canons...but that's for another discussion.

58. Nikon rangefinder S2; Nikon SLR's F2, F2AS (for sale), Nikomat FTn, FM2n, F100. So, yes. Black and white film. Developed by me. I took this up two-and-a-half years ago, reviving an undeveloped (due to expense) passion of my youth. Here's an image taken with the S2, and another with the F100, both about three weeks ago, in New York City where I live.
    00YtKH-369319584.jpg

59. Here's the F100 image:
    00YtKL-369321584.jpg

60. My main camera is now F100, it is used to be N90s until it developed the sticky problem. Before all that, I have a FM2, it is still functioning till this date.
    I shoot Velvia exclusively, lately I have picked up few rolls of Provia and some B&W (TriX, TMax and Delta), trying different flavors. No DSLR here, waiting for a F100 like FX DSLR. It will probably never happen.

61. Im still shooting commercially in NYC with 4x5 large format cameras. I only shoot digital when theres a crap budget.

62. I don't have any old Nikons. "Old" would be "Older than I am." The only camera I have older than I am is an Agfa Isolette. But I have and still occasionally use an F3HP, FM2N and N6006 (tho' I have to tape the door shut due to the dreaded broken plastic door latch syndrome). I only use 'em for b&w film. I switched to digital for color a few years ago after our last local pro lab quit processing color.

63. I'm still using my awesome F5 and F100 when I want to use a auto focus body. I also use a F/FTn finder, F2A, F3HP, FE, FE2, FM, FM2N, FM3A and FA. Love all of them and shoot a couple of rolls a month and have the film processed only, I then scan them with my CoolScan V.

64. maybe not Nikon, but I shoot film, especially for my purposes on 35mm and MF. Digital is used mostly for commercial commisions.

65. Strange - when I use my FM/FE2/801s ,which I do,often,using my bulk loaded Neopan 400,I think "I have made a picture".
    When I use my D80, I reckon I have "Captured a file".
    It is just not the same really (Sigh).

66. Most definitely! I have three FMs, two FM2s and two FE2s. I try to use them in rotation to keep them operational. The other week I had a catastrophe and dropped my other FE2, damaging irreparably.

67. Chris
    Ouch, sorry to hear about your FE2, I just bought one off ebay for $27.55 waiting for it it to arrive in the mail now. Check ebay and pick yourself up another they are practically giving them away. I've heard the FE2 is an update to the FE but is not made as good.. Will let yo know when I receive it and put some rolls through it. I will be useing my old MD12 drive with it...

68. Right now an F100 and N80 for my B&W film. Have a few OM's, a Rollei 35 and a fine looking Rolleicord VB with a recent CLA as well.

69. Well yes, I just bought a Nikon FTn for the same reason. Just one problem... I love using it...LOL

70. I love my Nikon F100. Don't use it now a days because I switched to D700 and D7000 (for video). But I still open the box of my F100 once in a while just to look at it. :)

71. Just enjoying using my FM2.

72. F3, F3HP, F4, F5, F6, F100... those are my most used Nikon film cameras (I also have a 801s aka 8008s, and a Nikkormat but I almost never shoot them).
    I use them all quite often, and find that every one of them has its own personality, that I try to match with my mood. The choice of the lens is also very important, as far as feelings and mood are concerned. For instance, I love my 105/2.5 (AI modified) and the way it focuses: it is a great match for the F4 and the two F3.
    Also, I find that all the workflow is very "physical" and a pleasure in itself. I don't compare these cameras to my DSLRs, which I also like when it is the right moment, they're simply not comparable.
    As for the film: slides are chosen when I feel "technical" (Velvia), otherwise B&W film, both C41 and traditional. Sometimes I shoot Portra (color), but almost exclusively with the F5/F6 and the fantastic 105/2 DC.
    By the way, I also love to shoot RFs and older cameras (foldings, TLRs, old MFs...), and sometimes I even shoot without a lightmeter: as some already pointed out the slowing down that inevitably happens when shooting film always teaches something to every photographer, novice or pro. And the "sunny 16 rule" is something that MUST be practiced every now and then, to remind us of the importance of the light.

73. I have, and use to death (I've had to replace the shutter once, and some bits are held on now with gaffer tape) a D300 with the MB-D10 grip. There are some things, like pro boxing, I'd really not want to go back to shooting with film. And all of my other paid work is also done with the D300.
    But when I'm out shooting for fun, I never bring that thing along. It's just not, well...fun. Or at least nearly as much so. I either use a Leica M3, about as lo-fi as you can get in terms of making photographs (although of course it is a very precision-made piece of simple gear!) or my faithful little FE if I want to use an SLR and/or have a built-in meter handy.
    I'd put the FE away some time back as a backup to my digital and larger film gear. And then I started realising how, in comparison, the FE was such a svelte but capable--and, yes, fun!--performer. So it's gone from being left in the drawer to being one of the three cameras I use the most. I even picked up one of those nice Gordy wrist straps to pamper it a bit recently. A super-small bag with the FE a couple of compact primes is the key to a nimble but enjoyable outing.

74. My Nikon FM2, 28mm 2.8 is with me 80% of the time. Right now it is loaded with Kodak Ektar 100. Here soon I want to load my Hasselblad and shoot some frames with it. I jut love the sound these cameras make....

75. Oh yes, this thread had me dig in my own closet... On events, I shoot my D300, but for my personal pictures I prefer my M2, F3, Rolleiflex 3.5F, Rolleicord Vb and a Sinar F. I use Ilford FP4, XP2, Ektar 100 and Portra both 400 and 160. It´s not "economic" by any means, time per picture is just prehistoric, but it´s fun, especially with MF or LF, just one shot, no tack-tack-tack-tack.. digital machine gun.

76. Opps I forgot to include my N 90s I am shooting slide film in that one

77. I still use an N90s to shoot some of my minister wife's "low budget" weddings (with a 24-200 Tokina lens). However, I just recently dug my first Nikon out of it's "hiding place," an FE2 that I bought new back in '84, and loaded a roll of Fujicolor 200 in it. With the lens I first used on it, a 35-70 Nikkor, I shot that whole 36-exp. roll in my backyard - orchids (I'm in Maui), our three cats and the small waterfall that empties into a stream that runs behind my house. Doing that brought back a lot of fond memories, and it was good therapy, too. Aloha!

78. I absolutely love film. About 98% of my professional work is done via film. Absolutely all of my personal work is done via film. My main carry around camera is an N90 you just can't beat an old expired roll of T-max! (I'm sure fresh of course will beat it haha)
    Here is a picture I took last month while on vacation in Seaside, Florida. N90, 50mm f1.8 AF, T-Max 400:
    00Ytfy-369797584.jpg

79. I still use F75, but unfortunately its battery cap broken about a year ago and recently broken its mode dial too, I can live without battery cap by putting some adhesive tap after putting battery into it but its impossible to live without mode dial because now I can only shoot in auto mode and don't control over other things like aperture, shtter speed, EV etc.
    Now its time to get a Nikon D5100 along with kit 18-55 AF-s and try find someone who can fix my old film SLR to make it usable again.

80. I still use F75, but unfortunately its battery cap broken about a year ago and recently broken its mode dial too, I can live without battery cap by putting some adhesive tap after putting battery into it but its impossible to live without mode dial because now I can only shoot in auto mode and don't control over other things like aperture, shtter speed, EV etc.
    Now its time to get a Nikon D5100 along with kit 18-55 AF-s and try find someone who can fix my old film SLR to make it usable again.
    00YthO-369817584.jpg

81. All I can say is if going out with film an the old nikon leave the digital at home.Once your film is scanned and put on a disk its all digital anyway.Unless you do the old school wet darkroom in which I'm glad I know how to do.

82. I loved my old FE2 wth MD-12 drive, had two, but eyesight forced me to trade for the F100 and AF lenses for work, got two, and I finally got rid of the two of those to get the D700, my first, and probably last digital SLR, unless I go for two.
    I still have one of the FE2 bodies and MD-12 (never liked to shoot the FE2 without it—much greater stability and grip), and a few FE bodies, one broken, and an FM, all of which I'm going to sell, and a lot of manual AIS lenses I still prefer to use for my own shooting on the D700 (35 f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 105 f/1.8, 135 f/2.8), and I'll often use my AF lenses in manual on the D700, for my own, slow-paced shooting.
    I don't shoot film in 35 anymore, only in medium format with the Pentax 645, which I love, since it handles like a 35 SLR, and its lenses are really spectacular, great negatives or slides from them. You want to make the slides into some kind of lighted lamp they're so beautiful.
    I'll never afford a MF digital, and I doubt they can match, certainly not supercede MF film's latitude anyway, despite that the MF digitals have met MF film's resolution. I have two 645 systems, but will be getting rid of one of them, as well. Then it will be just the D700 and a 645... and a lot of lenses.

83. For a challenge and a real photographic experience, time to time I pick up my Nikon F, no metering finder, or a Nikkormat Ftn, or any of my many Nikon film bodies, very rarely my beloved F5, or, the inherited couple of Olympus OM-1 and OM-2's with a roll of Velvia or mostly Tmax film. Then drop to develop them, and then I'm scanning them.
    Nostalgia, nostalgia? . . . With the Digital's, D40, D300, D700 to easy the technical part. It is a pleasure to operate and set you camera at site, then have to wait to see how well you learned, and how good you are in a real photography. It is a pleasure to control the machine and everything. Even winding up the shutter/advance the film, is a pleasure for me, having or not having a motor drive on the body, I'm using it for a better grab and weight only.
    The artistic part are the same. Developing & processing? Instead siting in a wet darkroom, now I steering on the monitor, much longer time, then I used to be in the darkroom. And! . . I have to upgrade my computer every so often, witch cost more then the darkroom was.

84. I use my old Nikon FA with the big autowinder whenever I can. It's been six months since I put a roll of black and white through it. I couldn't believe the power of the pictures I took with it. I need to work more with black and white. There is something so special about using a classic manual camera with black and white film.......it fits so well together, although some of my best photos have come from the FA using Porta160 VC.
    Since they were so cheap I got an N75, N80, and N90 too. I mainly use color in those cameras. I pretty much settled in on the N75 for now. It is so light wieght and can use G lenses if I want. I laugh all the time when I use it. It's that much fun for me to use.
    Bob E.

85. I shoot B&W with my F3HP and bag of primes all the time, for personal and paid work. The bag also includes an F2 as a backup and/or colour body. The F3 has to be my favourite camera of all time, and using it is pure joy! I shoot mostly candid portraits and I have a 105mm F/2.5 AI almost permanently bolted to the F3; it's a superb combination!

86. Still have and use my FTn, purchased new on R&R in 1968. I just finished 2 rolls of TMax 400 and am going out today with a roll of Velvia.
    Also have an 8008 that gets used less, but still used.
    Note on the FTn -- I use the silver oxide hearing aid batteries and find the horror stories about short life, etc. to be a little over exaggerated. I can use the meter without correction.

87. Film & Film Cameras
    A case for conventional film process and cameras
    Digital anyone? SURE you bet! Convenience, instant results and superb image quality gain popular acceptance. New film cameras are nearly non-existent. Film is going the way of the horse & buggy. Now is the time to take a practical evaluation and seek to preserve the process.
    Let’s start by stating a simple truism … less is more. More widgets and exotic features, more things to go awry. I have film cameras that are fully operational from the 1940s, 50s & 60s. Try to convince me, the plastic bodied, all electronic Super Pixel SPII will be a working tool in even a third of that time. Simple truth … a large percent of electronics support peters out in 5 years or less.
    Then there is the economics, high mega-pixel cameras cost in the thousands of dollars. With film being ignored by the masses, you can purchase a pre-owned pro-oriented film camera for a few hundred dollars. Go on the internet and check out the availability and abundance of truly fine precision machinery, for yourself.
    KEH Camera "A great source for pre-owned cameras / Nikon F to F4, some with warranty … $350.00 or thereabouts
    Rolleiflex & Mamiya TLRs … $250.00
    4 x 5 Large format … $250 and up … even a premier brand Linhof
    Heck, savor the elegance of an old Kodak’s made in West Germany in the 50s and 60s or the solid feel and panache of a legendary LEICA.
    With the proliferation of all electronic cameras the availability of certain batteries, particularly propriety single model designs can be uncertain, obsolete batteries are death your older equipment.
    With electronics come rapid innovation and the likelihood in time, the storage media may not be supported. Consider 8 tracks, reel to reel tapes, VHS, BETA and conventional recordings 45s & 78s to name a few examples. The earliest photos date from the first quarter of the 19th century, will the digital image of Granddad even exist?
    Film still has greater bang for the buck, superb resolution, greater latitude and a depth rarely reached via the digital process. Film has permanence that does not change with technology advances; a photo of Lincoln is as viable today as it was 150 years back. How much history will be lost as the technology for some digital images can no longer be supported?
    Early motion pictures are the classic preservation of our past; the likes of Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford, Charlie Chaplin would be a vague memory. Film images and digital scans, while not identical to full digital, they do allow some of the convenience of digital manipulation and allow the processes to co-exist.
    Dust off that old reliable Canon, Nikon and Leica and run a few rolls of Kodak and Fuji and savor this old magical process.
    KEEP FILM ALIVE …
    Ray Shine

88. I think the Leica film RFs are cheaper than some yrs ago :) But the lenses are too dear.
    I am wanting to get a N75, so light and it does G lenses and has aperture preview button. What more to ask for? Takes wireless remote and I think it even has a spot meter. No manual ISO but that is fine. I don't push process film, I just use slow film.
    I have been toying the idea of a D3100 but it just doesn't feel the same with the rear LCD and all that and it is just not film. I have some cheap film in the freezer when I imported my film from the states, they are cheaper that way. Fuji and Kodak consumer 100 neg film. I thought that if I use my improved skills now and try to shoot some of the best quality consumer film and see how I go, hah. I wanted to use a Canon EOS 88, the Asian version. But the battery is expensive to replace. But it is so small at 330g, largish spot meter and multi segment meter, manual ISO but no aperture preview button (don't need that) and it's full frame. 52mm filter thread zoom lens. Could even add in a fast prime and for personal photog, what more do I need?
    I should go out today and finish my 4 shots of Provia on my F100 and then ship the 6 rolls to Dwyannes. The other 5 rolls been in the freezer since NYR. With the Chilean volcano might get some nice colors. Then I have 20 shots left of Fuji ProS then I might play with Fuji/Kodak cheap 100 neg film. And see if I really do need pro film or not or if they are somewhat close.
    Even thought about getting a CR123 or CR2 rechargeable batteries just to keep it going. I do find the F100 somewhat a bit heavy for personal use. For personal use I don't need build, weather sealing or fast sport mode.
    Next shipment might just be 1x pro pack of 135 Velvia 50 and 2x pro pack of 120 Velvia 50 and maybe just 1 roll of Ektar 100 just to see what it does.

89. Nikon F4 with three Nikkor lenses. Fuji Velvia 50 and Provia 100. Epson V500 scanner. Am still very much a student, but am learning how to shoot, how to scan, how to resize for web and for print. It is a fun trip - with some success in getting good results along the way to keep me going.

90. better get in, i have bought more film in the last year than ever! started in a darkroom in 1965, just getting back into it, developed nas, fun. just learning about color films, do have nikon dslr, nice but enjoy film more.

91. For all my important shoots I still use my Nikon F4s, and my Bronica ETRSi, loaded with Velvia or Provia. My D300 is the camera that's sits in the cupboard most of the time.
    Might be time to off load the D300 for a Fuji X100, might use the fuji more for travel. Then again a nice Nikon Fm3a might be the go.

92. F100 still gets used here. I still don't have a DSLR with as good a viewfinder as the F100 (but then I don't own a D700.)

93. Believe me, if I didn't make back money with it, I wouldn't own a D700 either, no matter how great it is. I never afforded the top-line film cameras either, after the FTn, keeping my original FTn until the FE2 came out, and then settling for pairs of FE2 and then trade up to AF with the pair of F100 bodies until the D700 came along, and I'll probably just get another after its replacement comes out and the prices fall further.

94. Great shots of the city! I still shoot with my Nikon Ftn. Same old tank keeps on clicking. I am now diving into developing film & prints at home. This gives me a immersion in the total creative process...
    I did look at the new Nikon digitals last winter. They are all very nice and full of gadgets, but I'm not into gadgets. I use a smart phone, an mp3 player and work on a laptop all week. Though the gadgets are attractive, they are also addictive for me. Deep down I am in love with vintage stuff. Old sax, old bicycle, old camera and now old enlarger...

95. The only way film makes sense to me is medium format. You get the kind of resolution and latitude you have to pay at least $8K for in medium-format digital. I own three Pentax 645 bodies (they really do handle like an SLR) with doubles of the range of lenses. I used to use them for weddings, one with the tele and the other with the wide, and a third for when the job needed a second shooter. Now I don't do weds any more and only occasionally use the one, and I'm looking to sell the other two, can supply complete outfits, mint shape. The slides are gorgeous. Could make a cool lamp-shade with them if I worked in wood frame.