Any Rolleiflex 4x4 Users?

I recently picked up a Rolleiflex Baby and was interested in trying

the "Super Slide" out.

I understand that 127 slides can be mounted in specially made mounts

and viewed with a regular 35mm projector. Here are the questions I

have for anyone who has tried this:

How complicated is it to get 127 E6 film processed?

How easy are these to mount at home? (B&H has both film and mounts)

I have heard of problems with plastic reels in Baby Rollei's is this

the case with the only slide emulsion out there?

Do 35mm projector lenses normally cover the 4x4 format?

Thanks!

I can only answer your first question...as that is as far as I have got. I have an E6 127 film in my Reflex Brownie!

I asked the 2 pro labs I have used for my 120 work if they can process 127 E6 film, and they have both confirmed that they can, so you should have no problems there at all.

I'm told that the 4x4 slides should project fine in a 35mm projector, but I've not got that far yet.

I have had no trouble mounting superslides myself. My Pradovit projector has no trouble covering them. I have also projected them in Carousel projectors with no problems. My regular processor can'(or won't) process 127, but I have located one that will. Ask around,

Ditto. I've been happily mounting 4x4 slides myself for some three years now, and it is no more difficult than with 35mm slides. And yes, any good slide projector will handle them. The problem may be locating the slide frames. Last year I found a guy on ebay.de who lives a few miles from my place here in Bonn, and who had many thousands such frames to sell new in box. I bought all I could conceivably use, but I imagine he must still have plenty. If you need some I could try and put you in touch with him.

Based on the report I read recently, the problem with 127 spools will affect all brands of film, because all currently available new 127 film uses the Efke spools -- which are, we're told, something like 0.8 mm or about 1/32" too long across the outside of the end flanges (though I gather the center spindle length is fine). That means they won't fit in a few very tight cameras, of which I recall the Baby Rolleiflex is one.

It may also be that they'll fit some Baby Rolleiflex examples and not others -- if so, the only way to find out is to try it, but if you've purchased any 127 film recently and it worked, you should be fine, because all the new 127 spools in the world come from the same molds. It should also be relatively trivial to modify the camera (which would reduce collector value, but if well done shouldn't reduce usability and won't affect use of in-tolerance spools if they ever become available) to take the available Efke spools.

The projection of superslides should be fine with every standard 35mm projector. Slide frames are available everywhere on e*ay, I currently use them with to-be-cropped 6*6 slides. I use the antinewton GEPE frames which are about USD$3/package.

<p>

I would love to use a baby rollei, but until now could not find an affordable one. Maybe someone out there has one for me (or a Yashica 44)?

The original, pre-war 4x4 Rolleiflex had a crank for film advance the same as its larger brother. The post-war 'Grey Baby' used a knob advance ala Rolleicord. The pre-war models are eagerly sought after by collectors, so if you want one be prepared to pay a premium or accept one that is cosmetically unappealing to collectors. I do not presently have a 'Baby', either pre or post-war; however, in my most arrogant opinion the pre-war version was vastly superior in build quality though lacking in some bells and whistles. The best of the Japanese clone was the 'Primo Jr', and a close second was the Yashica '44'. Its main shortcoming is the f-3.5 viewing lens vs the f-28 on the Rollei. I am quite happy with my Yashica though I am actively pursuing a pre-war Rollei. Usually I am a confirmed Leica nut but there are times when I prefer the TLR 44, especially when the large 'super slide' format is exploited for its coverage.

I am expecting any day my first 4x4 Baby Rolleiflex in the mail. It is a little bit annoying that film is rather limited for this film size, but I will try to deal with it. Most likely, I will use only B&W film since I am not a fan of slide shows. I already use extensively a Rolleiflex TLR ("full size"), so the 4x4 is more a travel camera when I don't want to use its bigger sister camera. I am still looking for a suitable lens hood for the 4x4. I am used to have a lens hood on every lens when used.

An additional note about film: It is not so that Efke is the only choice. There are several people on both sides of the pond that would crop whatever 6x6 film you want down to 4x4 size, and a short while ago there also was a guy selling a machine to do it yourself on ebay.de. If I remember correctly he was not seeling a single machine, he was actually offering to build such a machine for everyone who wanted it.