Any recent Dominican Republic experiences?

steve_larese1

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I'll be going to the DR in Jan., Punta Cana and driving to Puerto Plata via Santo Domingo. I'm not finding a lot of recent posts about the DR, and hope someone can help:</p>

<p>1) What are must-shoot locations, in your opinion?</p>

<p>2) Is crime more of an issue in the DR than elsewhere in the Caribbean? I'm leaving the resorts, and have used common sense worldwide with no issues. I've heard various things about the DR, but mostly that the people are wonderfully friendly. I usually travel with a D700 and a Leica M6, but am considering taking less expensive film gear to 1) mitigate loss and 2) travel even lighter.</p>

<p>3) I've heard driving is insane there. Any experience?</p>

<p>4) What are the topics you appreciate about the DR, and what would you like people to know before they visit.</p>

<p>Thanks for you help,</p>

<p>Steve</p>

Driving. Totally insane, at least in the squalor outskirts of Punta Cana. The box trucks just put

themselves wherever they want because they're the biggest thing on the road and the motorcycles pass

you on either side with no regard for safety even on blind turns. Most of the motorcycles I saw down there

had no plates and were driven by young teens or were acting as overloaded taxis.

Then again my experience was rather limited to middle of nowhere back roads either sitting in the back of

an open cargo truck or myself adding to the horde of unlicensed drivers on an ATV with no plates. Oh,

and just ignore the random guys standing on street corners holding rifles. Nothing to see here. Move

along.

<p>We were in Punta Cana resort a few years ago. The resort was pleasant, but boring. We took a trip into Santo Domingo and did the usual tourist things. Needless to say, there was much more to see outside the walls of the resort, although the staff seemed trained to discourage the "dangers" of traveling to the city. As we rode big busses, I didn't get a feel for the driving, but it looked OK. I don't think you'll have a problem, based on your "common sense worldwide" comment. If I went back, I'd do what you're doing, checking out Santiago and Puerto Plata. I didn't find the scenery very compelling, so the people in the cities were more interesting. I have an album on Picasa. Enjoy your trip.<br>

http://picasaweb.google.com/PhilStiles/DominicanRepublic#</p>

<p>If you go out on your own in Santo Domingo you will be accosted by people who insist upon being your guide. Do not venture out on your by yourself. They are very aggressive. If you agree to go with a good one, you will get a good walking tour of the city, and they will keep the other preditors away from you. That's the up side. The trick is selecting a "good" guide. At the end of the tour, they will give you a sob story about how poor their family is (and they may be very poor) and expect a rather large payment, which is negotiable. As you might assume, SD is not my favorite destination. But, your experience may be different.</p>

<p>Steve, I go to the DR about once every 2-3 months and the place is one of the most photogenic islands I have ever been to. First of all don't be afraid to venture out of the resort its no more dangerous than probably your neighborhood back home. Use common sense like don't wear your camera dangling from your neck while you walk down dark deserted streets and you'll be just fine.<br>

If you're a people photographer like me then you will find some good Dominican life shots just up the road from Punta Cana/Bavaro in Veron. On your way over to Santo Domingo you'll go thru a city named Higuey which has a very large cathedral church, also a good photo op. Between Higuey and Santo Domingo(airport code SDQ) I've never found much to photograph. Some might suggest Boca Chica, its just before you get to SDQ.<br>

Once in SDQ take the new toll highway up to the north coast it will connect with Hwy 5 just east of Nagua. The drive along hwy 5 going to Puerto Plata(airport code POP) hugs the coast and is full of endless photo ops of beaches and towns. Places of photo interest along hwy 5 to POP might be Nagua, Cabrera, Rio San Juan, definitely stop in Caberete and Sosua and finally POP. If you have some extra time on your hands take a day trip west of POP over to a little fishing village named Luperon, some nice photo ops there too.<br>

I've been traveling to the DR for the past 4 years and have never had any problems with driving there. I always rent a car. Yes, they drive a little erratic and the roads are full of potholes so pace yourself while adjusting to their driving habits but you'll get the hang of it.<br>

Check out the travel forums on the website DR1 lots of good DR info.<br>

Here are some of my photos of the Dominican Republic:<br>

<a href="http://www.georgiaflash.smugmug.com/Travel">http://www.georgiaflash.smugmug.com/Travel</a></p>

<p>Steve, US dollars are ok in the tourist areas but as you get out in the country side it will be harder to convert into pesos or get change. Best to convert into pesos at banks, do not convert in airport(worst rates) or on street(lookout for counterfeits). When I was there last month the going rate was about 35 pesos to 1 US.<br>

I'll be on the north shore day after tomorrow for New Years when will you be going down?</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>The DR is one of my favorite locales. Just use common sense, watch out for pick pockets, shady tourist "guides," etc. It pays to know the local lingua, I speak fluent Spanish so this helps a great deal. I generally never travel in the Third World--and I've been everywhere (except Antarctica!)-- unless I am well armed: generally several concealed knives and a small, easily hideable .380 auto Beretta, if I can get away with it. (I am an retired Marine with extensive hand-to-hand combat experience, having served in Vietnam as both an infantryman and UPI photog. If you are untrained in these things, don't take a chance, just use your head and stay away from obviously dangerous situaions, something I never did but am fortunately alive to tell the tale. )</p>

• 6 years later...