Any reason to use Omni-Bounce outdoors?

pete_rock

Would there be any difference in using an omni-bounce on my flash

over using a bare flash outdoors? I just got the omni-bounce (3500xi

and Maxxum 7) and have taken a few indoor shots with it according to

directions, with the flash tilted at a 45 degree angle.

Now, if I'm shooting outdoors (people in front of Christmas displays

at dusk/dark in the city) and use fill flash, should I still go 45

degree angle? The reason to do that in the first place is for a

ceiling bounce, correct? So if I have no ceiling than I figured I

shouldn't tilt. But then if I go straight ahead flash, do I leave

the omni on? Just wondering if there will be any benefits. Reduced

redeye or softer shadows? What do you omni users do in outdoor

situations?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pete,,,,,,,,,if I am going to be shooting close to people outside,day or night a Omni-bounce will give a much softer light.I does kill the range on a strobe ,so do not get too far away. It is also nice soft light for macro shots outside ,flowere etc. Tilting it only works if you are bouncing off something.

Without something to bounce against, the Omnibounce really does not soften the light

to an appreciable degree.

I use it outdoors, on my camera, at a 45 degree angle with my Vivitar 285HV because if

it is aimed dead-on it will flash into the sensor and put out the wrong amount of light.

Also, the Omnibounce spreads the light out to cover my 24mm lens (used with film).

Michael..........have a question. I always thought that the size of the light source relative to the subject is what made light harder or softer. So, if that's true, what's the difference in size between a flash without the omni bounce and one with it? It's the same size as far as the subject is concerned. granted, with it the light is diffused, but that would just spread out the beam, not change it's hardness. Being close, yes, I agree, that changes the size of the light source to subject, but that would be the same with or without the omni bounce.

mind you, not disagreeing with what you say, just trying to understand all this light stuff.

When I first got my Omni-bounce, I did some A/B tests with and

without it outdoors. Most of them were macro shots. It's a good

thing I labelled the shots and took notes, because I could not tell

one bit of difference based on the results. I no longer use

the Omni-bounce outdoors.

<p>

It does a very nice job indoors with white walls and ceiling, though.

I leave the omni-bounce on at all times. Contrary to what some people say, I see a difference even outdoors. It softens and diffuses the light noticeably. On my auto units-a Vivitar 2800 and Vivitar 283, using a combination of the omnibounce, a ND gel and a 0.25 - 0.5 CTO gel has two effects- the light more closely matches skin tones, and it allows me to open up half a stop or more, allowing a faster shutter speed than would otherwise be required to burn in the ambient light. Outdoors, tilting at 45 sends most of the light into space. On all except manual mode, the flash will attempt to compensate with more output, wasting battery power. To use the dome with the flash head straight on, just put a piece of opaque tape on the underside of the dome so that the light doesn't shoot straight into the sensor and prematurely cut off the output. The best thing to do is experiment with slide film and take notes.

OK OK , sorry I had a long day yesterday. I was thinking of the Omni-dome ,not the omni bounce.The bounce at 45 degrees would still soften the light ,but not enought for me to use it. I was thinking the square plastic cover that fits on the end of the strobe and cuts the light way down.

An Omni-bounce does two things, it eliminates the fresnel lens on the flash and it scatters

light every where.

When you are using the omni indoors you are relying on its ability to bounce light off

walls, ceiling, etc. Outside you are using it to return the flash to its original size (the omni

basically creates a 2"x3" bulb).

The second aspect of scattering light everywhere wastes power if you have the flash on

camera, but if you are holding it in an outstretched had, this feature greatly increases the

chance of proper illumination on your subject.

My rule of thumb is if I'm hand-holding the flash (off camera) the omni is always on. If the

flash is mounted on the camera I will only use the omni shooting close to the subject.

I don't think the diffuser makes much difference if there's nothing to bounce off. Remember what matters is the size and distance of the light relative to the subject. The diffuser doesn't make your light any bigger relative to the subject, so the light is not appreciably softer.

The only difference you will find using an omni-bounce outdoor is > it diffuses the flash light allowing it to cover a wider angle therefore allowing you to use lenses as wide as 24mm. No other benefits unless you need soft light for macro work.

In order to have soft and shadowless light indoors or outdoors for people pictures, you would require a diffused light source/panel larger than your subject like a soft box.

The omni-bounce only modifies an ordinary camera flash to give a bare bulb effect.