Any reason to upgrade from Canon G5 (to Powershot Pro, F828)

b_n_f

I've got a grand or so that I am thinking of spending on a new camera. My current G5 has

been my digital workhorse for more than 18months and I kind of have the bug for

something new...

But, I don't want to spend for spendings sake. BESIDES, the increase in megs (for me after

5megs who cares), is there any reasonable reason to upgrade to a Powershot Pro, Sony

F828 or something along those lines? Start-up time and continuous shooting are

important (though what can catch my little Contax SL3200 R-Tune!!!). Thanks.

I personally don't see much of an advantage to moving to a prosumer camera line from another prosumer camera line.

If I were going to step up to something better, I would move to a DSLR.

But that's just me.

Also, what about the G5 do you not like? Do any of the prosumers you mentioned really address those needs?

If moving to a DSLR doesn't appeal to you, the Konica Minolta A2 is the best fixed-lens,

small sensor camera I've used. Good responsiveness, a huge range of features, a great

lens, manual zoom, lots of control options, and the best viewfinder in class.

I've made photos with one that produce 13x19 prints indistinguishable in quality from

what a Canon 10D produces. The Canon can do a lot more in low light and when you need

low shutter lag, of course.

Godfrey

I have both a G5 and a Sony F828. The Canon G5 is a good camera, however, the F828 is definitely and without a doubt an upgrade from the G5. The F828 has a Carl Zeiss zoom that is unmatched by another digitcam I know. The pictures are razor sharp, the color is just great. The flash is way, way better than the G5 for indoor or flash fill conditions. The auto focus in the 828 uses the Sony infrared diamond pattern recognition that is even better than the ones in my Canon 20D or my Fuji S3 Pro. For under $1,000.00 you can't go wrong with the F828. The only negative aspect on the 828 is that ISO 400 and higher is useless due to the noise. But it does have a very fast lense with a large apperture. Good luck.

Mike:

erh...this!

This guy has been posting Ads in all of the photo.net forum alerts. Didn't you get one?

wired circle posted a response to a thread in the photo.net Digital Cameras Forum on which you registered an alert:

----------------

Subject: Night club shoot

Visit www.wiredcircle.com for your next camera or upgrade. Great prices and

customer service. They have Instant Messaging at Aim(aol instant messaging) at

"wiredcircleteam" go ahead ask any thing you want any time. They have all the

Accessories you need for your camera needs as well.

----------------

To post a response, come back to the forum at: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00B6jR . If you no longer wish to receive new responses to this thread, use this URL to disable the alert: http://www.photo.net/bboard/shut-up?row_id=AAAG7bAAMAAAnDpACY

Mike:

erh...this!

This guy has been posting Ads in all of the photo.net forum alerts. Didn't you get one???

wired circle posted a response to a thread in the photo.net Digital Cameras Forum on which you registered an alert:

----------------

Subject: Night club shoot

Visit www.wiredcircle.com for your next camera or upgrade. Great prices and

customer service. They have Instant Messaging at Aim(aol instant messaging) at

"wiredcircleteam" go ahead ask any thing you want any time. They have all the

Accessories you need for your camera needs as well.

----------------

To post a response, come back to the forum at: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00B6jR . If you no longer wish to receive new responses to this thread, use this URL to disable the alert: http://www.photo.net/bboard/shut-up?row_id=AAAG7bAAMAAAnDpACY