Any reason at all for the Fuji S3 Pro over a D80???

b_n_f

The prices are essentially the same.....

I will be travelling with a friend for a month, and a good part of the time we

will be separated in cities and sightseeing. She doesn't want to spend a

fortune building a system, so I suggested that we "split" my Nikon system lenses.

This is for travel and documentary photography - no action that I can forsee....

So, as a 2nd body, the Fuji S3 has always intrigued me a bit... but the D80 is

soo tempting....

Any suggestions as to which would compliment a D70 in the long run AND on the trip?

At the moment, I think the D80 is a better buy. I have used my S3 for about a year, and I'm very happy with the image quality of camera, but it's slow, heavy and has some strange quirks that I could well live without. The camera was probably discontinued by Fuji months ago, and the rumours about a new S5 are getting more frequent every day.

On the other hand: if you can get the Fuji for a very good price, it produces the most beautiful skin-tones in the world, and the dynamic range is really better than most.

I chose an S3 because I want to shoot only jpeg during long periods of travel, and that is the S3's forte = jpeg quality with good dynamic range. The other thing I like about the S3 is its use of AA's. When I travel to countries with different voltage (220 vs 110) and sockets I can easily charge the batteries with a cheap charger/adaptor for that country. Then there are the colors and skin tones.

But the extra resolution from the D80 would be nice.

Here's some photos I took in Australia mainly with an S3 (all the wildlife) in August.

http://www.pbase.com/coraltown/australia_2006&page=all

Cheers, -Greg-