Any real estate photogs here?

yardkat

Hi everyone,

We are thinking about listing our house. (Gulp.) I think I can probably do the photography myself. I can rent lenses locally for a day. I currently own a 14mm Rokinon, and Nikon 18-35 and 24-85. Would the 14-24 or 16-35 do better than what I have in terms of distortion or is what I have capable? I want it to look great and am happy to rent if it gets better results. I suspect the Rokinon maybe isn't awesome, but the 18-35 might be ok?

Any other tips for the photography? I will try some mild HDR but I actually sort of hope the windows blow out because view out the window of the next door houses or our garage out back isn't so pretty. ;) I'll shoot the yard and exterior in the evening for nice light. Actually the heavy HDR that so many real estate pictures have is really icky to me, I just want it to look nicely exposed and inviting.

Thank you, tips so very much appreciated! I have some (ok, a lot) decluttering to do first...

Unless you own some really high-end real estate, like a multi-million-dollar mansion, I notice that typical images for real estate sales are not of very high quality. Your 18-35 should be just fine. Lighting is more important. I have seen totally backlit house images in flyers. Since you live there, you have more control of the timing. Wait for softer morning or evening light or even overcast.

The real lenses to use are like the 19 or 24mm Perspective control lenses.

Unless you own some really high-end real estate, like a multi-million-dollar mansion, I notice that typical images for real estate sales are not of very high quality. Your 18-35 should be just fine. Lighting is more important. I have seen totally backlit house images in flyers. Since you live there, you have more control of the timing. Wait for softer morning or evening light or even overcast.

The real lenses to use are like the 19 or 24mm Perspective control lenses.

Yeah, definitely not high end real estate...weeping softly...

The amount of ‘distortion’ is more about CAMERA POSITION than the Lens’s inherent distortions (such as BARREL DISTORTION) which can be corrected, or at least adjusted to ‘very good’ in Post Production. I’d use the 14mm lens, if it were necessary to have a wider Field of View than 18mm. Considering you imply that there would be little cost benefit, I wouldn’t be renting other lenses and especially if you are not experienced with CAMERA MOVEMENTS, it probably is not the best time to learn how to use TILT and/or SHIFT on a DSLR. (i.e. using Perspective Control Lenses), as, IME for those who have not used a Filed or View Camera, identifying the results of Movement is fiddly, if not quite difficult, when one is viewing through a DSLR's viewfinder).

The other distortion to which you might be referring is ‘Foreshortening’ – this too is addressed by Camera Position.

So for these two example ‘distortions’:

> Barrel Distortion will be easier managed if the Camera is perpendicular to the Horizontal and Vertical lines in the image and somewhere about the middle height of the room

> Foreshortening will be better managed if the Camera position is chosen such that the Key Subjects (i.e. furniture) are all at about the same Subject Distance.

Using HDR is not the only method to balance the outdoor light and the indoor light: you can use (bounced or diffused) Flash to illuminate the indoor area light and thus balance it with the outdoor light; you might find that towards sunset you get a warmer (i.e. Colour Temperature) outdoor light and that ‘warmness’ will overcome the sparseness of the view of the neighbours’ houses. Personally I think that balancing the outdoor and indoor light levels makes for a better (i.e. more useful) marketing photo.

Another method, to somewhat balance the indoor and outdoor exposure, is to use the indoor lights “ON”, this also usually creates a sense of warmth.

One key element and one that you have already recognized, is “clutter”, pay attention to the details and especially the SMALL elements in the images (for example is it really necessary to have the electricity lead of the table lamp in shot when it could remain hidden behind the leg of the table - and choose your camera positions carefully so there are nice lines ‘into the room’.

Good Post Production skills are a great advantage, in this case stitching two images is an option if the room is really tight and the lens is not wide enough, but frankly, the 'stitching' results I've seen are not that good, maybe it's my eye for seeing error and/or maybe the Photographer was not adept enough, I can't say for sure,

As Shun has already stated - LIGHTING is extremely important, and you have the advantage to chose the time of day, perhaps different times of day for various locations

WW

The amount of ‘distortion’ is more about CAMERA POSITION than the Lens’s inherent distortions (such as BARREL DISTORTION) which can be corrected, or at least adjusted to ‘very good’ in Post Production. I’d use the 14mm lens, if it were necessary to have a wider Field of View than 18mm. Considering you imply that there would be little cost benefit, I wouldn’t be renting other lenses and especially if you are not experienced with CAMERA MOVEMENTS, it probably is not the best time to learn how to use TILT and/or SHIFT on a DSLR. (i.e. using Perspective Control Lenses), as, IME for those who have not used a Filed or View Camera, identifying the results of Movement is fiddly, if not quite difficult, when one is viewing through a DSLR's viewfinder).

The other distortion to which you might be referring is ‘Foreshortening’ – this too is addressed by Camera Position.

So for these two example ‘distortions’:

> Barrel Distortion will be easier managed if the Camera is perpendicular to the Horizontal and Vertical lines in the image and somewhere about the middle height of the room

> Foreshortening will be better managed if the Camera position is chosen such that the Key Subjects (i.e. furniture) are all at about the same Subject Distance.

Using HDR is not the only method to balance the outdoor light and the indoor light: you can use (bounced or diffused) Flash to illuminate the indoor area light and thus balance it with the outdoor light; you might find that towards sunset you get a warmer (i.e. Colour Temperature) outdoor light and that ‘warmness’ will overcome the sparseness of the view of the neighbours’ houses. Personally I think that balancing the outdoor and indoor light levels makes for a better (i.e. more useful) marketing photo.

Another method, to somewhat balance the indoor and outdoor exposure, is to use the indoor lights “ON”, this also usually creates a sense of warmth.

One key element and one that you have already recognized, is “clutter”, pay attention to the details and especially the SMALL elements in the images (for example is it really necessary to have the electricity lead of the table lamp in shot when it could remain hidden behind the leg of the table - and choose your camera positions carefully so there are nice lines ‘into the room’.

Good Post Production skills are a great advantage, in this case stitching two images is an option if the room is really tight and the lens is not wide enough, but frankly, the 'stitching' results I've seen are not that good, maybe it's my eye for seeing error and/or maybe the Photographer was not adept enough, I can't say for sure,

As Shun has already stated - LIGHTING is extremely important, and you have the advantage to chose the time of day, perhaps different times of day for various locations

WW

Thank you, this is informative. Great for the reminder about camera position causing more distortion than the lens itself. And for the reminder that it's ok to use bounced flash to balance the exposure.

I'll also have the benefit of being able to practice whenever I want since I live here. :)

I can stitch if I have to, I hadn't thought of that as an option...

Thank you!!

Read these two links for some good ideas and look at the pictures in the articles. I live in Houston, TX. Here listings require good to very good photos. Before taking pictures, the house has to be clean and look neat and bright. :

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/83682567/list/selling-how-to-make-your-house-look-great-in-photos

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/2632982/list/take-better-photographs-of-your-house-in-a-snap

This is a listing of a friend of mine who takes his own pictures. He does not use a real expensive camera but knows how to get lighting right and what angles to use.

231 33rd, Houston, TX 77018

If your home has a pool or extensive landscaping, get on a ladder to take an aerial shot.. Many realtors in Houston have a boom or pole and attach a point and shoot to it for aerial shots.

If your camera does not have a level, get a hot shoe bubble level.

That will make it easier to level the camera, presuming you are shooting on a tripod, which you would have to do for HDR.

There is some discussion about what height to shoot the camera at, as that affects how the room looks.

Eye level or midway between the floor and the ceiling (which is 4ft off the floor for the average house with an 8 ft ceiling).

The midway 4ft height allows you to shoot the room without tilting the camera, like you might at eye level.

I suggest shooting both heights, then choose the one that looks the best.

Kitchen will probably be eye level, so that you are above the counter level.

The more you practice the better you will do.

Gud Luk

I agree, don't rely on room lights to adequately illuminate the room for show.

Even in my own house, there are places where the lighting is limited, because we don't need the entire room illuminated.

I would try for 2 flashes, one with an optical or RF slave, so you are not so restricted in lighting, especially in a deep room, where a single flash will have significant light fall off.

At the risk of being burned as a heretic... there are worse options for potential purchasers than to stand in the middle of the room and take a spherical panorama with your phone, that viewers can then pan around. I've done that and the "stand in the corner with a wide-angle" approach. Wide angles do make rooms look larger, and as others have said covering more than 90 degrees helps. Lighting probably matters more - a house that looks dark is unwelcoming, but you might also want to hide some dodgy wiring or similar. Some reflectors or even white paper, hidden from the camera but bouncing light into corners, might help. But I trust the expertise of others who've done this way more than me.

Good luck!

Awesome tips, everyone! Thank you!

I do have a bubble level, I just need to figure out exactly where it is. I also think I can work with some flashes or reflectors. My house is pretty small, typical for our neighborhood, I think one flash will be sufficient...I hadn't thought of standing on a ladder for the backyard, but that's interesting. Tree trimmers are coming tomorrow, so I could get some practice ideas in tonight.

Thank you all for the very helpful suggestions, it makes me feel encouraged...

As a real estate agent on the side, I believe you should leave the photography to the agent unless his/her photography is terrible, in which case you should ask the agent to get a professional to do it. Good photography is very important in enticing potential buyers - especially when the property is not high end. You need to attract buyers who are willing to pay a good and at least a fair price.

Also, you need to prepare your home accordingly. Seriously, it does not take that much to do to increase the sale price of your home. If you need a booklet (complimentary from me) on how to prepare your home, please contact me.

• Like 1

Seriously, it does not take that much to do to increase the sale price of your home. If you need a booklet (complimentary from me) on how to prepare your home, please contact me.

Need to elaborate here: It would be good to go through a checklist of things to do to improve the sale of your home if it is "sort of" ready. it's another story if it is in very bad condition for lack of repair or cleanliness. From the photography perspective: I was asked to list a home in moderate repair condition and poor cleanliness. I recommended a professional clean and simple repairs; I took the photography and attracted a busy Open House. The home sold at full asking price which otherwise would not have been. Re "professional photography" - some of my coworkers do ask me to shoot for them and there are also "professional service" available which is inexpensive relative to the commission that the listing agent would receive. If you are confident that your photography will be better than the agent's or the "professional" that he/she can hire, then go for it.

• Like 1

I work closely with several Estate Agents, though I haven't done Real Estate Photography for several years.

The Real Estate Agents with whom I have recently dealt, all nuance the Photography Shoot to appeal to the intended or expected Prospects' requirements.

One small and recent example I recall was when preparing two properties in the same street, both properties about the same age, both owners were Couples each with two kids and both being sold at Auction by the same Real Estate Agent; the larger Property had four bedrooms and the smaller had two - the larger property's interior was photographed with all the family photos on display on top of the sideboards and on the desks.etc, and for the other property the Real Estate Agent requested the Family Photos be removed from display and in place use Fruit Bowl (full) a few Candle Sticks and a Vase with hardy (i.e. long living) Bush Flowers. There were quite a few other nuances too, that's just one example. The explanation of purpose was the larger house was being pitched for sale as a family home - and therefore the Photography required was to have an element of 'sense of family', on the other hand, the smaller house was being pitched for sale to a couple with no kids (no age necessarily assumed but likely younger) and it would be more likely that if the house exuded the element of kids, that could on the balance of probability be a turn off, rather than a turn on.

The salient point is there is a lot of Psychology that gores into top class selling and that's my only point

Certainly this is not to divert the tone or the nature of this thread - it doesn't matter if you agree or don't agree to the statements in the example given - I think Mary Doo has made a good point, and I agree - if the Real Estate Agents have a successful track record, then they probably know what they are doing when they direct the Photography, so whatever you choose to do, I think it would be well worth while taking into account their views on how the Photography is done and who does it.

Mind of course, in certain economic situations, a Real Estate Agent might choose to not have a Client who wants to change their winning formula.

WW

• Like 1

Yes, staging the place for the intended audience is important. Clean/tidy makes a huge difference. But ... lighting for the win! You have a huge advantage in being able to watch those rooms morning, noon, and night, to find that sweet spot when you're getting a nice cheery balance between windows and interior lights.

Yes, a flash - on or off camera, depending on how adventuresome you are - can really help if you're very careful to downplay its role in the scene. Otherwise the light just immediately rings false to the viewer. Doesn't feel right. This can also be made really noticeable when the color temp of the light supplied by the flash isn't a good fit with the light from your fixtures. People may not know why it seems off, but they'll spot it. It takes away from the credibility of the image, and that chips away at the overall feeling that comes from looking at the listing.

BTW, I've had very good luck using a 14-24 in such cases, but you definitely have to square that camera up to the room's lines, and use your tools in post to deal with a few artifacts. And if you've got a buddy with a drone, some low altitude aerials can be very constructive if the overall scene is appealing.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

We are thinking about listing our house. (Gulp.) I think I can probably do the photography myself. I can rent lenses locally for a day. I currently own a 14mm Rokinon, and Nikon 18-35 and 24-85. Would the 14-24 or 16-35 do better than what I have in terms of distortion or is what I have capable? I want it to look great and am happy to rent if it gets better results. I suspect the Rokinon maybe isn't awesome, but the 18-35 might be ok?

Any other tips for the photography? I will try some mild HDR but I actually sort of hope the windows blow out because view out the window of the next door houses or our garage out back isn't so pretty. ;) I'll shoot the yard and exterior in the evening for nice light. Actually the heavy HDR that so many real estate pictures have is really icky to me, I just want it to look nicely exposed and inviting.

Thank you, tips so very much appreciated! I have some (ok, a lot) decluttering to do first...

Been shooting Real Estate for 8 years now. Lots of good tips here - Photography For Real Estate

The 18-35 is fine. I use the 24 PC-E for all my exterior shots and the 12-24 for my interiors. Look for Scott Hargis on the photography for real estate site. He is absolutely the expert! HDR is fine as a tool. No reason not to use it. It can take care of a lot of your exposure and lighting issues. Photomatix now has Architecture presets that make processing a lot easier. I export all of my raw files from LR to Photomatix and then apply an auto white balance. The new auto tone control on LR is amazing. It has taken the place of many of the LR presets I have developed over the years. Good luck!

When we sold our house, I had the same thought but my agent greatly discouraged me. I did learn some tricks from the pro however. Each shot he took was a seven exposure HDR, this allowed him to balance the lighting (and he minimized the uglier effects of HDR). Most of the shots were at about 16 mm, and he did use two strobes to fill the darker corners of the rooms. They came out great, and the realtor did use some photos I had taken of our yard in the spring and fall when the gardens are more colorful. The house sold in 24 hours slightly above our asking price, so the photography may not have even been necessary, but I was satisfied.
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

1673862470_House(19of32)-2.thumb.jpg.86cd2aa8fd9e4121e8816ed0ae1f4b74.jpg It's been a longer time than I thought, but our house will go on the market tomorrow. I didn't take the photos, way too much to do, but I took one of our street and nearby park in case they wanted to include those. Thanks everyone!

I'm going to miss this street!

• Like 5

Best of luck, yardkat - and a good time for photographing leafy streets! (I do think it's important - you know how much shade and protection from snow you have, you can see whether large trucks would be unable to get down the street without getting hooked on branches, but also it just looks pretty!)
  • Like 1

Having just gone through the process of selling a house, our agent had a photographer she works with and did a phenomenal job. That's a part of the agent's job and, at least in our case, it's all a part of the marketing strategy and thus comes out of the commission. Good luck on the house, and knowing what the market is like it should sell very quickly!
  • Like 1