Any other packrats out there?

I've started a major purge of crap I no longer need and I'm confronted with many dilemmas: should I really get rid of that Nikon F3HP box, the Nikon LS-4000 scanner box, the large format Nikkor ED120mm f/5.6 lens box, etc? I keep telling myself that original boxes increase resale value, but really I suspect this is just a deep-seated character flaw or evolutionary vestige of a now useless behavior trait; after all I still have the box for a Hasselblad Xpan I sold without the box.

2116083402_IMG_6034Boxes.thumb.jpg.1f79b1c7d5fb892156d36f7f795a023c.jpg

Edited by Edwin Barkdoll
  • Like 4
Test

Well, I have kept the boxes of everything I am currently using - not because I think it adds resale value later but as storage vehicles for all the extras that nowadays often come with camera and lenses. Lenses often come with cases - which I don't need until it becomes time to sell the lens - so the box comes in handy to store those. Similar with a lot of the extras (manuals, straps, cables) that come with camera bodies. Boxes are also convenient when one ships the item for service or sale. The only time I wish I could have kept older boxes was with some Leica equipment - not only because it does add resale value but because those boxes even hold resale-value all by themselves.

They throw away all boxes on used cameras.

Not my experience with my local (now closed for 2 years) camera store - they displayed used item with the box if available. I have no idea though why people think keeping the box adds value to whatever was in it

• Like 1

The only reason to keep an original box I think is if you plan or think you will sell it one day (comes to all of us). You then have a ready made box for shipping almost guaranteed not to damage the contents. Of course you can use another box with your own bubble wrap etc. etc. I keep the original boxes for the camera bodies and lenses if I get them new, but that's because I can and it makes selling them easier. With the exception of a few collectors items having the box makes no difference to the value.
Robin Smith

There is a feeling of excitement when you buy a used piece of gear in the original box. It implies the original owner took pride in his choice, and probably very good care of it. On the other hand, some of my favorite gear came encased in bubble wrap in a recycled cardboard box - at a discount, naturally. I have most of my original boxes, which may come in handy if I ever sell something, and my wife doesn't toss them (or me) first ;) Edited by Ed_Ingold
  • Like 4

Not my experience with my local (now closed for 2 years) camera store - they displayed used item with the box if available. I have no idea though why people think keeping the box adds value to whatever was in it

Because Antiques Roadshow told them it did and quotes them an absurdly higher valuation, "If only you had the box!"

• Like 1

This cracks me up...

Here is a perfectly good use for an unused darkroom sink. I am not showing the other side of the room, or what has happened to the old amateur radio area--and certainly not the garage shop. :eek:

As to saving boxes, I have found that when reselling something either privately or on Fleabay, one gets a significantly better price when the box is included.

packrat.thumb.jpg.4f53e6b8e3f1e983ea3c3d7bb397c95a.jpg

• Like 2

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

It is well known that old toys are valuable, and with box even more.

I suspect it surprises people that old cameras are not so valuable.

People didn't tend to keep old toys, and especially not the box, but did tend to

keep old cameras, figuring that they must be valuable.

It might be that boxes for old, maybe 80 or 100 year old, cameras help increase

the value. I did buy a used D700 and was surprised that it came with the box.

I didn't consider that when deciding to buy it.

As above, I like to keep boxes in case they are needed for warranty return.

I do probably keep them too long, but also throw them out when it seems long enough.

-- glen

boxes.thumb.jpg.4a41abf4adfddb5a2c6bd7fbd7acd63f.jpg

This cracks me up...

As to saving boxes, I have found that when reselling something either privately or on Fleabay, one gets a significantly better price when the box is included.

[ATTACH=full]1377796[/ATTACH]

One reason to keep the original box, and include it with a sale, is to help reassure people that the equipment is not stolen.

Edited by Glenn McCreery
  • Like 2