Any One Used A Nikon D3 to shoot a wedding?

fotografz

Okay, I cancelled my order for the Canon 1DsMKIII after seeing sample shots and preliminary reports done

by photographers who's work I respect. It is suspected Canon placed to strong of an AA filter in front of

the sensor to correct a Moiré issue from packing so many pixels so close together.

Unfortunately, I have sold my 5D and 1DsMKII in anticipation of the two new 1D MKIII cameras. I have had

the 1DMKIII for some time now, and am not all that happy with the images when combined with fast L

glass. They simply require to much post work no matter how much I twiddle around with the settings.

In retrospect, selling the 5D was an error in judgment. I hated using that camera for the sound and feel of

it, but it DID make fine images.

Strictly personal preference, but I will not shoot some key wedding images with a single memory card

camera, so I have to have a 1D series camera ... or now perhaps a Nikon D3 with the possibility of a D3X

later.

While the thought of swapping systems makes me cringe, the new Nikon may be my answer. But, I would

greatly appreciate any input from those who have actually used the D3 to shoot a wedding ... especially

low light with faster glass. Sample images would be most welcome.

I haven't (yet), but there are quite a few reports. These stuck out:

http://cliffmautner.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/09/ok-its-after-1a.html

and also

http://www.susanstriplingblog.com/index.cfm?postID=78

there doesn't seem to be any question what this machine is about. However, if you haven't got your nikon connections or ordered r-e-a-l early, the wait could be horribly long... :-(

i've been shooting some parties -- Pre-K kids parties -- with one. Tend to crank the ISo

to 800 and above and have been shooting NEFS. The lenses have been the new 14-24mm

f/2.8G and the 24-70mm f/2.8G .

Noise is really wel lcontrolled and colors have been faithful.

I've been processing the NEFS with both Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Capture NX.

Lightroom is definitely far more efficient but Capture NX is yielding better image quality

especially as regards noise. I'm doing very little post process tweaking. Color relationships

in both Lr and Capture NX are more accurate - not as overly warm --than with my Canon

1Ds mark 2 and 1D mark 3 bodies.

The 14-24mm f/2.8 G is awesome. It's definitely living up to the hype I heard in Japan.

Ellis, you are one of the few pro photographers that have used the 1DMKIII and the Nikon D3

on the job that I know of. What's your impression of IQ beyond the warmer aspect (which I've

always thought when comparing systems). Specifically tonal gradations, and skin rendering.

Marc,

You mentioned "swapping systems makes me cringe." Does Nikon have equivalents to the 24 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 50 f1.2, and 85 f1.2? I thought Nikon was a little behind in fast prime lenses. Or would shooting at 2.8 with ISO 6400 be about the same?

Also, "not all that happy with the images when combined with fast L glass." Are they coming out too soft? I was thinking that camera had the best focusing system Canon has to offer and the results would be superior. Is this another case of the AA filter?

Would love to hear your comments,

James

Just a side comment...an AA filter is needed when the sampling of an image is not done at a high enough density. (This follows from Nyquist sampling theorem) In theory, the more pixels one has, the less there is a need for an AA filter because the sampling density is high. (There is also the issue of the Bayer filter and interpolation algorithms.)

To me it seem like Nikon is leaning toward wedding photographers with this camera. From the articles I read they opt for fewer pixels in exchange for better low light performance.

I think the strong point on this camera is the FX CMOS sensor and "based on test" produce stunning images at high ISO's. For all that we invest in fast glass Nikon has made the logical choice to put a light sensitive sensor in the D-3. It looks like the D-3 will be a solid choice for high end wedding photogs.

Order it from a Wolf Camera store or Ritz and you can play with it for 10 days if it isn't what you wanted you can take it back for a full refund.

I've seen some images from the 1DsMKIII that gave me pause ... now I've seen others that

don't. Really confusing. At that kind of money it better be the latter, not the former.

Interesting comparison done here ... just scroll down a bit:

http://www.diglloyd.com/diglloyd/blog.html

James, the fast Canon glass (and at the time, the only full frame sensors) are why I went

Canon in the first place. I do NOT want to swap systems unless absolutely necessary

because I have all these fast Canon L primes ... and am waiting for the new 200/2L IS to

be launched. I don't use zooms, so the excellent New Nikon zooms hold no interest for

me.

Marc I was checking on d3 avail and was talking to my sales guy (very smart and trusted) he said the new replacement for the 5d was to be announced about Jan 14th (I believe) In all my research I have seen the the 5d is still holding up very very will in regard to image quality against the d3 and d300. Ken Rockwells report and samples of the the d3, d300 and 5d really show the greatness of the 5d. If the new version gives you the second card slot you should be set.

Marc, I still have my order in for the 1ds/3. Probably will still buy it. If I don't like it I'll return it, because the store owner and I go back a long way. The reason for a delay in shipping last November was said to be the higher speeds were off. Nothing regarding what you've experienced was talked about. Too bad these companies can't be more upfront about and lett people what the trouble issues are before they ship. Then again, if they say something everyone will send the cameras back to be repaired!

I'm faithful that if there is a problem Canon will update the newer versions through downloading software.

I have shot and owned Canon's Nikon's and Fuji's and I can tell you

each has it's pro and con's and it comes down to what is important to you.........

I bought and tried those three makes all at the same time and decided

that I love Canon, but my associate photographer prefers Nikon :)

to each their own............like they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Has nothing to do with Canon verses Nikon Steffi. I need two fast AF digital wedding

cameras, and some preliminary reports show possible issues with the 1DsMKIII ... while

others tell a different story. Just getting input on alternatives that'll deliver what I want and

need. I may not go for either.

"I have had the 1DMKIII for some time now, and am not all that happy with the images when combined with fast L glass. They simply require to much post work no matter how much I twiddle around with the settings."

Marc - are you talking about sharpening? In your experience the 5D produced better images then? How so - just curious since I have not shot with the 1DMKIII.

Bogdan

Bogdan, not much difference really. Both are good low light cameras. I just hated the

shooting experience of the 5D and lack of dual card slots ... so I sold it for the 1DMKIII.

Focusing and shooting is faster with the 1DMKIII, I just think the AA filter may be a bit

strong and seems to show up most in lower ISO images. IMO, the 1DMKIII is much better

at ISO 640 to 1600 than at lower ISOs. To my eye it just looks to waxy at 100 to 500.

Some of the 1DsMKIII images I've seen appear to exhibit the same characteristics ... but

I'm trying to sort it all our before spending so much money for a camera body.

I fear shooting with MF digital backs is spoiling me.

Thanks Nadine. I'll search them out.

I actually got a chance to use a D3, but only for a few moments. It belonged to a doctor I know who didn't know how to put his flash on it (no joke). I asked him how long he had been on the waiting list (I put myself on it the day it was announced). He said he wasn't, he just walked into a camera store and bought one. Obviously more to it than that.

So I can only tell you about the feel of it. First off, it's big. A little too big for my tastes. Brimming with buttons. A little hefty but my lenses are all made out of lead anyway. One thing I can say is that the screen is GREAT. Big, bright, crisp. Manual focus was a breeze, even in low light. Good for me because my best lenses are all MFs.

To add to my annoyance, the doctor was with a stock broker friend of his who also had bought a D3 that day, and who bought a top-of the line 17-55 lens to go with it. Unfortunately, that's a DX lens, which means the D3 was totally wasted on it.

That's why the waiting list is so long. They're all going to doctors and brokers who have magic purchasing powers, but who would be better off with a point-and-shoot.

"...he said the new replacement for the [Canon 5D] was to be announced about Jan 14th (I believe)..."

Odds of that being accurate: 5%. It's PURELY a guess. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

As far as this Nikon D3 topic -- since so many of these have been sold and they are everywhere it must be a *perfect camera* since SO MANY PROBLEMS are about the 1D3 and 1Ds3 (not, and tongue stuck firmly in my cheek).

I'll probably be lucky to see exactly one person with a D3 in 2008, while I'll see tons of 1D's and 5D's as well as the 5D Mk2 starting in May or June.

And Edward, LOL! with your story.

Ken,

Not sure why my luck is as such, but I've run into 7 journalists with D3's since they came out. A couple covering something in the city (I'm in the south bay, so was up in SF).

I'm not saying they are all over the place, but that's 7 in 2007 :-)

allan