Any one had any problems with their Elan7s partial meter

canon man

Alot of the subjects I like to shoot require me to meter the subjetc

itself minus the background. The Elan7 manual says that the meter

measures 9.5% of the scene. The way it is described in the manual

leads me to beleive that it is not a circle either, rather a cros

shape. Can anyone verify or refute this?

I ask because I got some images back today. I photgraphed the tulips

I bought my wife for our aniversary and they appear to be overexposed

slightly and some are under, and in all the it causes the detail to

suffer. I used my 70-200 2.8 L and partial metering. I know I could

easily remedy this by buying an A2 or a 1n which I plan too, but I

still would like to know the pattern for the partial on the Elan7,

that way I can gauge whether or not to use it on some subjects

Yeah, its weak point! The camera definetly has its strenghts, and those strengths are worth keeping it. Mainly that is its near silent operation and interface. It is solidly built, but I am amazed at how sloppy my 70-200 2.8 is on its lens mount. I'll keep it around mainly because it will also make a great camera to put in my wifes hand while we are out shooting. I am selling my 630, and two consumer zooms to buy either a 1n, or if need be a A2w/VG10. I would prefer a 1n even if it meant I had to wait a bit for the Booster. I see a 1HS on ebay thats in beautiful condition, but although I aminly only use the center point I would like to have th eextra focus points to track wildlife.

That leads me to another problem I have with my Elan 7. I can't get all my Focus points to light up. The manual says that yo push the selector until one of the outside points lights up and then push again to get it into automatic selection for tracking action. Mine will not do it. It will however do it in the PIC mode for sports, but since this mode might as well not exist on any camera I use that does me no good.

This isn't in response to your initial question, but to the problem with focusing point selection. On my Elan 7, I find the situation you describe only when Custom Function 11 is set to 1. If set to 0 or 2, I can select any one point individually, or all 7. Are you using CF 11 on 1?