Any Luck with the Magnifying Viewfinder on a D200 for Glasses Wearers?

zack_zoll

<p>I picked up a D200 recently as a sudden replacement for my own camera, which finally gave up the ghost. I can't afford to buy a better replacement right now, so it's pretty much a stopgap measure until I can recover from renovations, car repairs, etc. As such I'm hesitant to put any money into it, but I'm (surprise!) unhappy with the viewfinder. Like others, I have some trouble with manual focus lenses. Has anyone tried the DK-21 magnifying viewfinder with this camera? More importantly, anyone with glasses? Or any other finders for that matter?</p>

<p>I'm not doing macro work, so extra magnification at the cost of viewfinder coverage is not a good idea for me. I've heard that you can see the whole frame clearly (and your settings) if you move your head about a bit, but I'm not sure how well it would work with glasses. Can anyone help here?</p>

<p>Ive worn glasses for years, but do not have a special or magnifying viewfinder on my D100. There is an adjustment on the viewfinder, which I use to adjust to my eye. I just move my glasses up on my head, and look thru the viewfinder and adjust it to my eye once. Once it is done, never have to change it. Though at times it has been a nuisance (glasses get dirty from my hair) it has worked for me on Nikon's since the 50's. <br>

Though I have some manual focus Nikon lenses, it works for me. If I remember correctly, the D200 viewfinder does not show all that's in the image anyway, so don't want to look through glasses, as then Id see less.</p>

<p>I appreciate the help Robert, but unfortunately I'm blind as a bat - they're not reading glasses :( The use of the diopter helps; after adjusting it I can usually manually focus at f/2.8 or so without problems. But I still can't focus my 50 1.4 wide open with any regularity, as my eyes (or the viewfinder) aren't sharp enough to see it 'snap' into focus.</p>

<p>The reason you can't focus your f/1.4 lens accurately may have nothing to do with your vision, and a lot to do with the finder optics of the D200. I had a D200 for six months(my first digital camera), and one of the reasons I got rid of it was the poor finder optics:1) It couldn't be accurately focused at f/1.4, and, 2) the outer ocular lens is plastic and easily scratched. Try focusing with an all-glass finder on a D2 or D3 series camera with your f/1.4 lens.</p>

<p>Eyepiece magnifiers decrease your "eye relief", the distance from the finder to the pupil of your eye, so they're near impossible to work with glasses. Sorry, that's just the physics of the thing.</p>

<p>he round screw-in D2X magnifier, in a screw-in to clip-on adapter, is better than the rectangular clip-on magnifier that was really only built to be used on the D100 (it just came out so late that it missed its target camera).</p>