Any ideas on what Leica will REALLY announce????

erik_l.

I'm still waiting for a M body that has 24mm framelines and a 24/1.4 ASPH to go with it. Problem is that neither will ever happen...

<p>

realistically i would like a re-designed 50/1.4 APO-ASPH-Whatever that would be noticably sharper and more contrasty than the previous one.

That due to a huge surge in sales of the R9, Leica has been able to buy both Canon,

Nikon and a controlling interest in Mamiya & SINAR.<P>My guess they will announce

a digital body (probably a

reflex camera), possibly an autofocus system (according to apocrypha, Leica was the

first camera company to develop a workable autofocus but never developed it as they

could not get the accuracy they wanted --this was in the mid 1970s) an/or that the

company has been sold once again.<P>My hope? that

they are bringing out a digital SLR body with a Foveon X3 CMOS chip in it and that the

chip is bigger than the one Sigma licensed. Why not a digital M series camera? To get

close to or exceed 35mm film quality you need a chip that needs a fair amount of

electronics & battery power to go with it and who needs or really wants a heavy

rangefinder camera?

I think we will see some high quality mounts for the existing

lenses, like the 50 Year 50mm Summicron, to match the

upcoming 50th anniverssary M3 (which will be an MP with M3

style top cover).

I'd like to see a 75mm 'cron, and an improved 50 'lux, and maybe

a collapsible 90.

I'm sure they will say something about a digital option for the R lenses. That announcement has been promised. As far as the wish-list goes, I'd like to see an ASPH 35mm Lux that doesn't block the finder. I'd like it to be not much larger than my pre-ASPH lux. They ought to be able to do it! So what if it's not quite as good as the current one? Compactness counts.

What person in their right mind would perch a flash atop an Imarect finder? Sounds a bit top heavy to me. I'll stick to holding the camera in my right hand and the flash in my left so I don't ever get those horrid side shadows when I tilt the camera 90 degrees.

In the real world - - not in fantasy-land - - I'd like to see a redesigned 50mm Summilux ASPH. Leica started with a 50mm, and it was the "lens of choice" for years and years. Somehow, we've gotten away from the natural look of the 50mm for the wide angle and super wide angle shots that the modern lenses permit. I'm not complaining, as I've recently become addicted to the 24mm Elmarit! < grin >. However, we forget that many of the classic Leica photographs were taken with a 50mm, and that it is an "all purpose" lens.

Now, many of us sing the praises of the Noctilux (50 mm!!!); but wouldn't it be nice to have a 50mm Summilux that either equalled or exceeded the capabilities of the 35mm Summilux ASPH at f1.4?

Gee, Al, I'd have thought for sure you used one of those vintage Leica flash hats (code BEANIE, I think) that has the hot shoe on top. That way the flash is always centered over the lens, whether you shoot horizontal or vertical. A special Reindeer edition mounts two strobes side by side.

Yes, I was quite serious about the flash on an Imarect. Having top & bottom hot shoe connections would require wires to run alongside or through the Imarect. The additional leverage that the flash would place on the camera's shoe would be a factor also. When originaly designed the accessory shoe was engineered to hold a finder or accessory rangefinder. When small flash bulbs hit the market in the 1950's little fan fold flshes were popular, but they weighed next to nothing. The more powerful shoe mount electronic flashes today are not light weight units, and put quite a bit of torque on the shoe, which is held by 4 very little screws.

Let me see,

Minolta joins Leica to develop a little Digital Camera using a M sort of mount.

Of course it will be the Digital Leica, DL in short.

It will eat batteries like hell and become un-servicable in 5 years due to lack of spare parts (the famous Tamagoshi-BlackForest CCD could not be produced anymore in DumbLand...).

The Leica MP will be produced by a new plant in China. Soon, the quality label shall be: "Made in China, at the turn of the century".

Sorry, I cold not resist, Nurse, time for my injection, Mwwwwaaaaaaahhhhh!