any idea about ross london telecentric lens?

mike_zhang1

I have an 11-inch Telecentric for my Ensign Reflex. That's a quarter-plate camera (3.25 x 4.25 inch film); so what strikes me most is that you will only be using the very centre of the lens' image circle. Almost any lens is ok in the middle.

The Telecentric is a telephoto; you need to mount it about half the focal length from your film/sensor. It's a simple screw mount in an inch size. The lens was available in a focusing mount, but mine, and the others I've seen for sale, have been for bellows cameras so don't have focusing.

You would have to have an adapter made, and if your lens doesn't have the focusing mount, your adapter would have to incorporate one, or you could have the adapter made to sit on the front of a bellows. Grimes would be delighted to make it for you, I'm sure, but it won't be cheap.

Here is mine:

4638685583_49da5e6d51_z.jpg

4638685591_e976d96151_z.jpg

There's a Ross brochure, 'The Choice of a Lens' reproduced at Camera Eccentric:

Camera Eccentric: Info

The Telecentric is on pages 20 and 21. From the tables there. it looks like your lens should have a 1½ inch mount, and mine should be a 1¾ inch (I thought it was 2 inch,but Ross would know better than me!)

I wrote the lens up for Camera-wiki: Telecentric - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

In the links at the bottom of the article, I see I found a Japanese collector who had mounted an 11-inch one on a DSLR.

Good luck!

You're lucky to have the focussing tube, but it'll need an additional custom adapter to fit any 35mm still-camera body. Or you could get a machinist to fit it with a 42 X 0.75mm T-mount thread.

As a first step you need to determine the 'register' - that is; how much distance there is between the end of the focussing tube and the image-plane at infinity focus. If it's shorter than about 40mm, then it won't be easy to adapt the lens to anything modern.

Maybe a bellows unit would be the best option?

I'm not sure what you're expecting from this old tele lens. If you're after a 'vintage' look, then it'll probably be too sharp. And if you're after great image-quality, then it'll disappoint. It's just a mediocre 225mm telephoto, with a slow aperture. Almost any old tele-zoom from the 1980s will give a similar image quality.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

• 1 month later...
You're lucky to have the focussing tube, but it'll need an additional custom adapter to fit any 35mm still-camera body. Or you could get a machinist to fit it with a 42 X 0.75mm T-mount thread.

For sure, but, as rodeo_joe says, make sure the machinist does a T-mount 42x0.75 and not the M42-mount 42x1.0.