Any heavy duty tripod for 36 inches slider ?

hoi_kwong

<p>I'm looking for a heavy duty tripod for my 36 inches slider for video. I added the slider to my Manfrotto (9 series) tripod but it was up and down when sliding my heavy camera (Nikon D3s and 24-70 zoom) from edge to edge despite I have locked the ball head tightly. <br>

I tried to have two stands on both ends of slider but it drove me crazy to level the height if I need to change the height frequently. Just wondering if it's possible to use one heavy duty tripod to secure 36 inches slider with heavy camera and lens on or it's a MUST to have two stands ? If one tripod is OK, please suggest brand name and model. <br>

Thanks. </p>

<p>A surveyor's tripod should work well although some modification might be required. They are widely available at various price points even at some home improvement centers. </p>

<p>Tripod stability is a factor; another contributor is the imbalance created as the payload travels from edge to edge which might require a very rigid center-mount, or modified to have a dynamic counterweight as the payload travels (with some pulleys and weight on a string). </p>

<p>Every making-of video/still photo I've seen of photographers/videographers using sliders showed a two-point support system: either a pair of stands or using a tripod at one end and the ground or other solid support at the other. A tripod heavy enough to prevent wobble and rocking for a 36" slider would be too heavy to be practical.</p>

<p>As Mike suggested, guy wires, bungee cords or other methods might help stabilize a slider with a single main support. There might be some clever damping systems, such as a hydraulic or air cushioned damper or shock absorber rigged to one tripod leg and extended to support the slider at the free end.</p>