Any good photo opertunities around Salt Lake City UT?

dennis_j_smith

I will be in Salt Lake City, UT the week of September 22. I will not have much time to spend photographing (work related bummer), but the morinings and evenings are open, and perhaps a day or twoo. Anyone know of some good photographic opertunities in and around Salt Lake? Thanks in advance, Dennis!

It depends on what you like to shoot. For fall color you can try the Alpine loop up American Fork Canyon south of Salt Lake City. It goes around the back side of Mt. Timpanogos, 11,000 ft or so and then you go by Bridal Veil Falls in Provo Canyon if you turn right when you hit the main highway again. After Bridal Veil Falls, go back up the canyon(uphill) and through Heber City to Park City. Very nice and scenic also.

In SLC, there is always Temple Square, centerpiece of the Mormon Church, with its tourist attractions.

This is the Place State Park right by University of Utah can be good.

Kennecott open pit copper mine isn't bad and from the view area you can get some images for stock use.

Get the AAA guides, or contact the Ut tourist council and they will send you info on a lot of other stuff. Without knowing what you like it is hard to make specifics.

Good luck.

I agree with Dan Smith that the Alpine Loop is spectacular in the fall. However, there are two reasons why it might not be the best choice. (1) It is accessed from American Fork Canyon, which is almost an hour drive from SLC. An additional 1/2 hour or so gets you onto the loop. Round trip time from SLC can be 3-4 hours travelling. (2) It is renown. It can be VERY crowded, especially on weekends in the fall. Traffic can be bumper to bumper all the way through the loop at peak fall color times. The short answer is: It can be worth the hassle if you have all day. If you are pressed for time, not so much.

I would suggest instead: Albion Basin. The Albion Basin is a 30 minute drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon from downtown SLC. Little Cottonwood Canyon is where Snowbird and Alta Ski Resorts are located. The canyon itself is spectacular in the fall. Albion Basin is at the top of the canyon above the resorts. It is famous for its wildflowers from July through August. Small Alpine lakes abound. Climate is alpine & sub-alpine. You can drive right to the campground at the base. Once on the trails it seems as though you are hundreds of miles from civilization, not just a few. Altitude is 9,000 to 10,000 feet. The weeks near Sept. 22 should provide fall colors and perhaps wildflowers depending on weather conditions during the summer months. Fauna includes: Deer, Mountain Goat (if you are extremely lucky) Squirrels, Birds etc. It sounds like I work for the Travel Bureau (I don't) but if you are short on time, or even if you are not, I don't think you can do better than Albion Basin. As for other tourist or travel themes, I would concur with Dan's suggestions.

If you want more details, please feel free to contact me.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree with Phillip, Albion Basin is convenient and not crowded. Big Cottonwood Canyon (at 7200 South-20 minutes from SLC) is also nice, up around Brighton Ski resort. There are lakes, trails et cetera. Also, shots of the Great Salt Lake in the evening with Antelope Island a background are also interesting and can be reached easily by driving 20 minutes west of Salt Lake. Red Butte Garden east of downtown (up behind Ft Douglas and the Univ of Utah) also has some nature trails and nice areas for wild flowers et cetera.