Any favorite photography tips you've recently found?

<p> Yesterday I had one of those “aha” moments (or maybe a “well duh” moment) that has materially contributed to my quality of life. I’d been having a problem with a new heavier camera+lens twisting downward when set up in portrait orientation on a tripod. I googled the problem and found the answer hidden deep within a thread from several years ago on photonet (of course). To wit: flip the ball head in the other direction so the weight of the lens torques the plate screw tighter instead of loosening it. Easy solution, probably known to everyone here who doesn’t use an L bracket or non-twist plate, but totally new to me. And that got me thinking that there are probably thousands of other simple fixes out there to little irritations that many of us don’t know are solvable. </p>

<p> So my question to you all: Any recent “ahas” that have made your photographic life easier? I know that’s a wide open question—so be it.</p>

<p> As another example that I use a lot (and that I haven't seen anyone else doing): when I’m moving fast through rough terrain with camera strap around my neck and over a shoulder, I take it off and put it back on backwards, with the lens facing toward me, then shift it so the lens is at the small of my back — protects the (usually long) lens, keeps the camera (and photographer) stable, and keeps the camera almost instantly available. </p>

<p>You have a choice for vertical orientation with a simple threaded attachment. Have the camera slip suddenly and point downward, or slip gradually while you're trying to compose the scene.</p>

<p>The solution is to (a) shoot everything on a horizontal plane and crop, or (b) buy into a QR system in which the plate conforms to the bottom of the camera so it cannot turn, and clamps to the tripod with a V-block mechanism (e.g., Arca-Swiss, Kirk or Really Right Stuff).</p>

<p>That done, an L-plate is a convenient way to keep the lens centered over the head, but not a necessity for stability reasons.</p>

<p>At my age and temperament, moving rapidly through rough terrain is not a major concern. However maneuvering through crowds at a reception, city park, etc. is easier when I use a cross-shoulder strap like a Sun Sniper or Black Rapid. The camera is carried close to my left side, even pushed partly behind my back with my arm to negotiate narrow aisles. It also reduces the strain on my lower back, which even a light camera seems to aggravate after a couple of hours.</p>

<p>Get a pair of MuckBoots -- the tall ones.</p>

<p><a href="https://www.amazon.com/Original-MuckBoots-Edgewater-Boot-Womens/dp/B000WG4FYO/ref=sr_1_1/157-5998930-8613867?ie=UTF8&qid=1470663351&sr=8-1&keywords=muckboots+adult+edgewater+hi+boot">The Edgewater</a> are my choice. With these you can go in creeks, ponds, swamps, mud of all kinds, tall grass after rain or in heavy dew ... many of the best places and times for taking pictures.</p>

<p ><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=3885114">Julie H</a> said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Get a pair of MuckBoots -- the tall ones.<br>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WG4FYO/?tag=nmphotonet-20" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">The Edgewater</a> are my choice. With these you can go in creeks, ponds, swamps, mud of all kinds, tall grass after rain or in heavy dew ... many of the best places and times for taking pictures.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm surprised by how few wildlife and bird photographers have these. My regular hiking boots are "waterproof" New Balance, but when the dew is extra heavy, or it's muddy, I've got a pair of Cabelas' brand knee-highs. I have extra-wide feet (EEEE) so it's hard to find boots that fit. Surprisingly, few makers make hiking and/or muck boots in extra wide sizes. New Balance and Cabelas are exceptions, that I highly recommend. </p>

<p>I'm reminded of an old acquaintance who many years ago took a photography course, and said the course was not very useful, except for one piece of advice he got on the very first day. That was, when you put the camera down on a table or shelf, never let the strap dangle over the edge. </p>

<p>At some point not too long ago, I read the suggestion of reversing the camera when it's over your shoulder, and it was one of those "oh, duh, why didn't I think of that" moments. I do it regularly now. </p>

<p>By the way, most Manfrotto systems offer what they call "architectural plates" which have a bracket to prevent camera rotation in portrait mode. </p>

<p>I carry cards with contact info when I shoot events or go on photo trips. I used to print on card stock using my office printer. Last batch I used my photo printer instead to make wallet size (2x3) with contact info overlaid. I used an nice landscape and put the info in the sky. It helps builds credibility since it shows an attractive photo.</p>

<p>David, try being a woman with extra wide feet.....it's almost impossible to find hiking boots. Yes, New Balance. A pair last me about 2 years. I walk in anything with them and they perform. Cabelas stopped carrying (according to them) wide shoes for women. That's what I was told in the store a couple of years ago. I guess they think that only men need wide shoes, or that, (snarf, gag, hack, choke) women can just wear mens shoes. Nylon pants with deep pockets and zip off legs are really useful for the all day outing. They are light, dry very quickly, and work well in a wide range of conditions. A pair has lasted me about 5 years of heavy use. They are starting to get a bit snagged and ripped in small places from prickly understory foliage.</p>

<p>With a camera around the neck, in any configuration, rough terrain can have it's way, and injury to body and gear is always a possibility. The idea of moving quickly through rough terrain seems contrary. My camera is always in a back pack. This is what happened the one time I decided to go against my own better judgement.</p><div>00e5Sd-564783584.JPG.71ec1388b02544c07f00977a9fdfbcfa.JPG</div>

<p>Sorry to read that Laura. It's bad enough for us guys. Decades ago, we could get any style of shoe or boot in EEEEE, but that started declining a couple of decades ago. It steams me that companies are selling "hiking boots", that you'd hope to be able to walk in all day, and they just don't fit. A size or two larger does not work, because the ball of the foot is not in the right position in the boots.</p>

<p>Thank goodness for New Balance. Maybe we should start a campaign for them to add muck-style boots to their lineup. BTW, their custom insoles are also fabulous. If you haven't tried them, treat yourself. I even have a set of NB custom insoles in my Cabelas muck boots.</p>

<p>As for that sad, sad lens. I've thought about falls and what do I do. Do I sacrifice my body to save the equipment, or sacrifice the insured equipment to save my body? I logically decided to save my body, BUT I recently slipped on some snotty mud and landed full on my back and my equipment didn't get a drop of mud. It was probably the right thing to do, because trying to catch myself with my hands might have broken a wrist AND damaged over $10,000 in equipment (insured). Oh well, it's still in my head to sacrifice the equipment, but, when things are going South, your reaction comes from a spinal-level reaction. Still, people should sacrifice their equipment. I've had two or three friends experience serious broken bones when trying to save their equipment. Looks like someone made the right choice in that "victim of rough terrain" shot.</p>

<p>Also, one last thought, have the ranger or park contact information in your phone, just in case your down and crippled deep in the woods. You can't count on cell coverage in many places, but when you can, you want to be able to quickly get help. Of course, 911 will work when you have coverage.</p>

<p>For hiking rough terrain similar to what's pictured in Laura's Canon lens shot (hard to even look at that, sorry that happened, Laura) I wrap my DSLR in a doubled up gray plastic Walmart grocery bag and tie together the two loop handles on each side around the shoulder straps sticking out the top and hang the strap over my shoulders as I walk.</p>

<p>When I walk through thick brush or climb rocky cliffs I just grab with one hand the two shoulder straps at the top of the bag to keep the camera and bag from swinging, swaying and knocking into obstacles I may brush up against.</p>

<p>When riding a bike, I put the entire shoulder strap into the bag and wrap the loop handles around the right hand handlebar and grip the bar and loop straps tightly with my right hand as I ride through my town. I've done all of the above dozens of time over 5 years without any mishaps.</p>

<p>The Walmart bag is waterproof and dust proof and allows me quick access to my camera (no zippers, velcro, snaps, etc. getting in the way). And of course the bags are free. Even my plastic fantastic Sigma film legacy 70-300mm lens has survived.</p>

<p>Yes, I agree that the boot situation has declined over the years. 40 years ago I could get shoes/boots with little muss or fuss. I discovered Berkies, and thought I'd found footsy heaven. Fortunately, those still fit right, every time. Too bad the cork insoles won't take the demands of serious hiking. NB changes their boot styles, and some fit better than others, but they do fit, and I don't care what they look like. Around here, my walking surface is frequently jagged rocks, and it eats boots up. They call it Rocksylvania for good reason.</p>

<p>As for me, I'll sacrifice the gear. I have invested in good bags, another good gear tip. Why buy 5k in gear and put it in a $50 bag? The bags have their own rain coats, which have really come in handy, and do work. I've never looked back on those investments.</p>

<p>Frequently I'm in areas where there is no reception, but I don't have a cell phone to begin with. I think some NP's have locating beacons for entering the back country. I'd opt for one if I found myself in those circumstances. It's also important that someone else be aware of the hike location, just in case all fails, and it does. Mud, nasty stuff. There's a good amount of clayish mud around here, really slick, and as you say, snotty, stuff. </p>

<p>Laura, I'm lucky to have a NB store that I can go in, to try before buying. You are correct, that not all styles fit the same. My latest boots are very comfortable. They generally have a full compliment of sizes for me to try. I always start with the size of the latest purchase and then adjust from there.</p>

<p>Tim, sounds like a viable alternative that works. I think my affinity for backpacks goes way back to college and riding a bicycle. Everything went in a backpack then also. There's a large music festival going on now around here with many photo ops. I may try your ideas for carrying the camera around the fest grounds. ;-))</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think my affinity for backpacks goes way back to college and riding a bicycle. Everything went in a backpack then also.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I tried that with a Jansport bag I bought at a thrift store as well as with another 8in. cubed shaped soft drink cooler bag with multipocket zippered lids I could stuff with foam or cloth to absorb the shock from riding a bike on rough terrain.</p>

<p>I became too paranoid and nervous from all the rattling and shaking with my bike hitting every curb, chuck hole and rock so I resorted to the Walmart bag hanging from the handlebars that offered a natural shock absorber. It also kept me alert and vigilant making me mindful of my gear due to the fragile appearance of the Walmart bags.</p>

<p>If I had it socked away, out of site in a dedicated bag, I'ld most likely forget about how and where I rode or walked only to find later my gear's fragile parts and roto dials don't function normally. Out of sight, out of mind with camera gear just makes me even more uncomfortable. YMMV.</p>

<p>>>Surprisingly, few makers make hiking and/or muck boots in extra wide sizes.</p>

<p>I'm only an EEE and I have problems finding footwear, but those New Balances might be a good answer for lighweight hiking boots. Another brand you might consider is Mammut, which (for men, anyway) are the widest-lasted hiking boots I've found locally. They're what used to be called Raichles-- Mammut bought out the Raichle company a few years ago.<br>

<br>

I have <a href="https://www.mammut.ch/US/en_US/B2C-Kategorie/Men/Trovat-Guide-High-GTX%C2%AE-Men/p/3020-04740-4559">these ones here</a>, which are pretty solid backpacking boots, but Mammut covers the whole range, from approach shoes to full-bore mountaineering boots.<br /><br>

</p>

<p>Good suggestion, Alan. Wouldn't have ever thought of that.</p>

<p>I remember my dad taking my brother and I fishing out on his boat in the Laguna Madre miles away from the mainland of Port Mansfield, Texas to spoil bank flats fishing for Rainbow Trout and Big Reds with no one around for miles.</p>

<p>He had a GPS he used to mark good fishing spots and to navigate our way back to the mainland port since we couldn't see any signs of civilization or towns along the horizon.</p>

<p>>>take a hand held GPS like a Garmin with extra batteries into the woods where cell phones won't often work.</p>

<p>Darn good advice, and it would have saved the life of <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/27/us/missing-hiker-geraldine-largay-appalachian-trail-maine.html?_r=0">this unfortunate woman</a>.</p>

<p>If you want to use your mobile phone instead of a dedicated GPS like a Garmin, there's a great app called '<a href="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crittermap.backcountrynavigator&hl=en">Backcountry Navigator'</a>-- provided you have an Android device. It will pinpoint your location from the GPS even in remote backcountry, when you're completely out of range of the cell services. (I've done it, in the Utah canyons and Death Valley).</p>

<p>There are probably competing apps for the iphone, and I have no experience with them. A lot of backpackers are big fans of Backcountry Navigator.</p>

<p>Problem with cellphone navigation is when the phone dies. Of course you could take back batteries for the cell but there's also the risk of damaging the phone. With hand held GPS units, just take some cheap AA batteries as spares. Also, hiking type GPS's are somewhat waterproof and shock resistant - made for hiking and boat use. Whatever you take, take something!</p>

<p>Also set a "bread crumb" trail on your GPS. That way you can follow back the trail you took to get you out where you started. Otherwise, the GPS will point you in a straight line path back to the car. You'll be bushwacking through every piece of rough terrain until you get back. If you don't use the brad crumb, at least save some waypoints at each turn on the outgoing leg. But a bread crumb trail is better IMO.</p>

<p><em>Problem with cellphone navigation is when the phone dies. </em></p>

<p>Here comes another plug for Backcountry Navigator. (Honest, I don't own shares in the company.) <em>It works with your phone in airplane mode.</em> So the only little radio that's on is the one that receives the GPS signal. This cuts your power consumption considerably. </p>

<p>In practice, I leave the phone turned off, and I just turn it on (in airplane mode) when I want to mark a waypoint, or check where I am. I can go out for a week and have maybe a 65% charge left on the phone, if I'm not using it to communicate or take pics.</p>

<p>One other thing-- you can use BCN with USGS topo maps, which are in the public domain (i.e. free). It is a terrific app for backpackers and photographers.</p>

<p>But it's like you say, take something, whether it's a GPS unit or a compass, and for heck's sakes don't leave it behind in your tent if you go exploring off the trail! The other thing I carry is an <a href="https://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/resqlink-plb/#sthash.f5mRXzrj.dpbs">ACR rescue beacon</a>, because I'm usually out by myself. Might save my life someday if I break my leg. Or at least they'll be able to find the body . . . </p>

<p>Another vote for paper maps and a compass. I'm stunned at how many people go out on trail systems with nothing but a cell phone. They get lost and many don't even know that they are off trail, or not where they think they are. Usually when a hiker shows up in my location, they are well off trail. I go through a routine set of questions that usually results in the person realizing that they are off track and really don't know how they got there. Paper maps are available and most often folks say" oh, I'll just call 911 if I get lost". They assume there is always a signal and it's a terrible assumption. First responders have better things to do than render assistance to a lazy hiker who left their common sense at home.</p>

<p>Reading a map seems to be declining skill. Even the maps provided by parks and the like are seldom used. I use a hand held gps, but not specifically for navigation. I mark points for fungi documentation and associated photos. There is a set of back-up batteries in the camera bag. I really like the Appalachian Trail maps that are made of waterproof, darn near tear proof tyvekish material. We can also print out a topo map and laminate it for long use. Zip lock bags work really well also.</p>

<p>I checked those Mammut boots. Never heard of them, but looked at the web site. Nope, no wide sizes listed for women in either US or Euro sizes. Sigh.</p>

Laura, instead of printing it out and laminating the

Maps, use National Geographic Adventure paper. It's

made out of Tyvek which is waterproof practically

indestructible and you can print out your topo maps or

any other kind of trail maps or anything else for that

matter and confidently use it on your hikes

<blockquote>

<p>It's made out of Tyvek which is waterproof practically indestructible and <strong>you can print out your topo maps</strong> or any other kind of trail maps or anything else for that matter and confidently use it on your hikes...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've never done that and it sounds like a good idea but I have to ask whether consumer level printers have the ink that's just as weather proof.</p>

<p>Has anyone had problems with maps out in the wilderness printed with consumer grade inkjet ink on Tyvek material?</p>