Any experiences with Tamron 1.4X TC?

robert_thommes

This would be the less expensive version (around $125 NEW). Tamron-F. I just

acquired one of these and am not quite sure just what I have. Heard that it

does a decent job. So what can I expect? I have a Canon 70-300IS USM as about

the only lens to with which I could use it. Your comments and especially any

sample images, are most appreicated. Thanks

Some comments and shots with the 1.4x here (http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/ef_70_300is_review.html) and here (http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/canon_EF_70-300_II.html).

You lose AF of course, but I've found that the Tamron 1.4x actually works OK with the 70-300IS lens at 300mm, providing better images than you'd get by simply upsizing the image without the TC (which can't be said for all lenses!).

He'd hardly be likely to say anything else!

I've found the Tamron-F to be quite good. Good enough that I've been known to use it on my 500/4.5L. In tests against the Canon 1.4x I see very little difference with an APS-C DSLR. Perhaps on full frame there's more difference in the corners.

I've directly compared the Tamron SP AF 1.4x teleconverter with the Canon EF 1.4x Extender, Version I (same optics as ver II). With my 135/2L on a 20D (using tripod, MUL, etc.), the Canon Extender is sharper in both the centre and corners at f/2, but they're identical at f/8, where and they're both excellent. I usually carry the Tamron with me in my daypack, as it's smaller and lighter than the Canon Extender. I always reach for the Canon Extender when I plan to use a TC for maximum reach, and sometimes I use both.