Any experience with Kurland photo/eBay stores?

tow_teo

I'm new to this forum and to the world of Leica. I'm currently in the

process of acquiring my very first M system, and the web site by

Andrew Nemeth has been a good starting point for me. I have heard

mixed opinions regarding ebay for equipment buying/selling. What

about (reputable?)shops who post their used equipment on the ebay?

Some I have come across include Precision-camera, kurland photo, etc.

In particular any experience with the latter? I'm new to online

shopping and ebay, so I greatly appreciate your kind advice.

Thanks.

Definitely, stores with a good reputation try and uphold that reputation on eBay. You'll see it in the prices their items fetch. Stores with a wretched reputation (like the notorious Cambridge Camera Exchange of New York, who trade as Cambridge Camera, Cambridge Photographic, and Air Watches on eBay), maintain that same reputation on eBay, as evidenced by their horrible feedback.

Dealing with solo players is more of a risk on eBay.

What counts also is good return privileges. That can overcome a seller who doesn't have any photographic reputation, per-se. I got a Summitar for $66 from Auction Drop, because nobody trusts that sort of place for photo gear, but they (and their feedback) made it clear that they are 100% friendly about returns. Turns out it was gorgeous.

The one extra problem with Leica M equipment is that it is so expensive, and is luxury goods, that the THEIVES also prey on people trying to buy them. If a Leica M items looks too good to be true on eBay, it IS too good to be true. Those are the "money in, nothing out" ripoffs. There are too many Leica shoppers on eBay for there to be super bargains -- eBay is a rather "efficient" marketplace in terms of setting prices.

You need to start by following items and closing prices on eBay, and learning what the market price really is. Take notes. Then, be patient. None of the Leica gear that one would want to use is so rare that you need to win on the first auction you bid on.

Eli Kurland was formerly the manager at Wall St. Camera and has many years of experience with Leica equipment. He opened his shop after Wall St. Camera closed up a few years back. Eli's shop was totaled by the dust kicked up on 9/11, but he re-opened with an even better store. 100% trustable guy, if a bit pricey, but he mostly deals in the really minty stuff.

Other good options for used Leica are Photovillage (Rich Pinto), Tamarkin, Jim Kuehl (no internet presence though), and KEH.

Kurland is in the same building as the Leica Gallery on Broadway, in the old Tamarkin premises.

They do indeed deal in top quality stuff and are knowledgeable straight shooters in my experience and opinion. I have bought some smaller items from them and would not hesitate in dealing with them in an auction situation.

Cheers

Tow - Hope you've had a chance to look at <a href=http://www.photo.net/neighbor/opc.tcl?category_id=0>this page on photo.net</a>, which reflects members' positive and negative experiences with hundreds of individuals and camera shops (following the appropriate links). Some of the shops are of course owned by individuals, as noted above, so it may make sense to check in both places.<p><p>

Good luck.

I would highly recommend keh.com and camerawest.com. Both are 100% great.

I have had very mixed results buying on ebay - and the prices often tend to be higher than

what you would pay at a dealer. Some great experiences, and some disappointing, but no

disasters (yet)!

Mike

Michael S. Thanks for the link> I just posted my experience there of a couple months ago with "recordingofhtemonth", EBay alias for a Min Cho of Edgewater, N.J. Why I ceased buying on EBay.

Tow: read feedback carefully: the seller always gets the last word, but you can often tell he's lying by his refusal to apologise, & making up a story.

Eli Kurland was an owner of now defunct Wall St Camera - I have dealt with him for at least 13 plus years, Nikon Leica Contax Canon. Very Reputable. I like his personal service. He actually had one of my old items on ebay recently. Feel free to email me with any questions on his reputation. I would prefer to buy almost all of my equipment thru him.

Thanks for taking the time to share some of your experiences. I'm sure each has their fair share of both good and not-so-good stories to tell. Nevertheless, we just have to be sensible and use our judgement and not get overly excited when we see a "good deal". Well, my hunt goes on. Thanks for reading.

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
<p>Eli Kurland is a very honest and reliable person I've ever met. I've got Rolei 6008i w/ P20 back from him, Hasselblad & Leica items as well as Widelux 1500, all equipment in top shape, very reliable salesman and a great person to deal with. Highly recommended!</p>

<p>Eli Kurland is a very honest and reliable person I've ever met. I've got Rolei 6008i w/ P20 back from him, Hasselblad & Leica items as well as Widelux 1500, all equipment in top shape, very reliable salesman and a great person to deal with. Highly recommended!</p>