Any Experience with Comet portable flash? Anyone.

fotografz

Hello all. I am seriously considering acquiring a battery powered Comet CBm-1200 value kit for my

lighting arsenal. The application will be for wedding and event work and some smaller commercial

location applications when working alone.

While I already have a Hensel Porty, that kit weighs in at over 50 lbs, almost 70 lbs with second lead gel-

cell battery and 2nd head ... and is considerably larger over-all. Not a problem when working with commercial PAs ... but somewhat prohibitive when alone.

In contrast, the Comet kit weighs 15 lbs, probably 20 lbs with extra NiMH battery and 2nd head ... and

requires a much less bulky bag to contain it all.

My question is that I have no experience with the Comet brand at all and would appreciate any experience

or info members here may have had ... especially as it pertains to reliability and after the sale service.

Thank you.

Chip Simons uses the 400w/s portable light. I watched him use it at a workshop shooting portraits at night. It was pretty impressive with just the reflector. Check out chipsimons.com for examples.

A couple other pros I know use Comet. My impression from them is that the equipment is reliable and consistent, though expensive.

Marc,

I recently used a Comet PMT 1200w/s unit with a dynalite fan-less head for a job where I was the assistant. Biggest gripe? It was slow. At 600 w/s it took 5-8 sec to recharge.

I've used the comet heads before with AC power packs and they seem kinda cheap. I did not like the way the reflector/tube protectors were attached as they seemed loose and wanting to fall off. Overall, I was not impressed.

I'm trying to remember the name of a battery I used earlier this year to power 1600 w/s white lightings but the name escapes me. They did a pretty good job but were somewhat heavier than the comet pack.

I've been thinking about this problem myself. I've gotten used to doing things a certain way on commercial shoots which just aren't possible for weddings/eshoots. The best solution I've come to? A cart.

Thanks Michael !!! On the job experience is invaluable.

My main issue is size and weight for this set-up. I have a Porty which would make it

through a Nuclear strike, but is just to much for working alone. A cart isn't an option for

wedding stuff. For any commercial application, I have assistants and the Porty is the

weapon of choice for location stuff.

I've also got a Profoto 600R battery unit which is smaller/lighter, but it only has one head

outlet.

So, I've now resigned myself to just getting a really small AC power pack and heads:

Looking at a Dyna-Lite 1000W/S box that recycles in 1.5 sec @ full power, and a couple

of fanless mini heads .... just for use with translucent umbrellas, not softboxes. Whole kit

weighs less than 11 lbs and fits in a small case that I can piggy back the camera case onto

by using a Kata modular rolling trolly and bag system.

Dyno's are great. Small, cheap, light and reliable. Easy to use and they don't trip breakers like speedotron. They also make a battery/inverter that's pretty good (150-200 1000 w/s pops from a full charge) but is an extra box to carry and not especially light-weight.