Any Experience with ACS (Authorized Camera Service) Sherman Oaks, CA?

david_h._hartman

Ive checked Community> Member Recommendations>

Repair> and found no listing. <br>

<br>

Authorized Camera Repair<br>

12918 Riverside Drive<br>

Sherman Oaks, CA 91423<br>

(818) 788-0404<br>

<br>

The list of "Nikon, Inc. Factory Service Facilities"

shows that they are AF-S trained. Im sure they have seen

plenty of F3HP(s). Willie, the owner back in the 80s, also

ran the EPOI, Nikon service in Torrance in the '70s. I used to

know camera salesmen who liked Willie. Any opinions on ACS today?

I may have a sick AIS zoom lens for them.<br>

<br>

Any other suggestions in Los Angles County?<br>

<br>

Thanks for considering this,<br>

<br>

Dave.

I used them for years, stopped for a while, and then recently started going to them

again. I have always had good luck with them until my most recent CCD cleaning on

my D100. While it isn't <i>really</i> their fault because they have to send all DSLR

work down to Torrance, they promised me that I'd have my D100 back in about 4 days

and it ended up taking almost three weeks. I understand that they are at the mercy of

Torrance, but I was just a tiny bit put out that they didn't even bother to call.

<p>However, they did some excellent work on an FE2 and a friend just used them to

repair an AIS and was very happy. I don't think you'll have any worries.

ACS was the place to go in the '70s and '80s, and Willie was the man. Earlier this year I called ACS to see about getting a meter-coupling prong mounted on a 500mm F4P lens, and the guy (sounded more like a kid) who answered wasn't sure if they could do that and no one else there could tell him if they could, so I opted for Nikon in Torrance as I didn't want to be a guinea-pig for ACS. Not exactly a tough job, so I'd be careful and speak to the guy who would do the work if I were you and make sure he sounds like he knows what to do -- and use a credit-card for any potential dispute.

Thanks for the responses. I went to ACS on two or three occasions and met Willie. I presume he is no longer living. That�s one of the reasons I asked this question.

I remember an LA Times photographer who essentially opened the door to ACS, coming and going, with his F3HP and 400/5.6 ED-IF. Willie pointed the guy out to me and commented that he was in all the time with broken equipment.

Best to all,

Dave.