Any experience of the Metz 44AF-1?

richard_driscoll

<p>Has anyone any experience of the Metz (Mecablitz) 44AF-1 with a Nikon DSLR (actually a D7000). It would seem to be a rough equivalent to an SB700. In particluar, does it work reliably both on-camera and in off camera wireless CLS mode? I know that a non-Nikon flash is always a risk but in the UK it is about half the price of an SB700.<br>

Failing that a used SB600 would suit or are there any other suggestions?<br>

Minimum requirements are:- medium power, 16 mm DX coverage, tilt & swivel head, i-TTL and I-TTl-BL, off camera CLS slave.<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>I have used a 50 AF-1 on a D70s. iTTL, iTTl-bl seemed to work well. I could not get the CLS system to work but I think that was a function of the D70s. I didn't work at it much because I had no need CLS at the time - I just used a radio slave in manual mode. The flash worked well for me until I dropped it down the stairs..after that not so much.</p>

<p>I'm not sure about the 16 mm DX coverage. I think the 50 AF-1 is 18 mm with the built in diffuser in place..the 44 AF may be similar. </p>

<p>Richard,</p>

<p>If the Metz 44 meets your requirements then go ahead an get it. Don't worry about it not being Nikon, Metz engineering is as good or better than Nikons.<br>

In the days before digital everyone used Metz guns and they were well known for superb perfomance and reliability and the camera manufacturers had nothing that even came close. It is only with the advent of digital and high power hot shoe flash guns that manufacturers products have started to come back into popularity.</p>

<p>Thanks Simon. Yes, I remember Mecablitz from years ago when they had a very good reputation. In fact I have a catalogue from 1970 with several of their models in it! I was also pleased to see that they are the same company and that the flash units are still made in Germany.<br>

I was a little cautious because I have a an old Vivitar 3500 TTL film-type flash which was never very good. Instead of indicating satisfactory exposure in the viewfinder like the Nikon one you have to take your eye away and look at an LED on the back. If you are too slow the LED turns off anyway and then you don't know what happened - very annoying.</p>

<p> </p>