Any ExifTools users here? Need help...

<p>I'm trying to use Phil Harvey's ExifTools program to extract embedded JPGs from my Digital Rebel/300D's CRW files. I've used the firmware hack so that the CRW file contains high quality larger JPG instead of the normal medium JPG. <br /> <br /> This is a testament to the vast powerfulness of ExifTools, but I'm overwhelmed by the options and proper usage of switches and syntax to achieve this.<br /> <br /> Could someone kindly show me the command line syntax required to extract the JPG from the CRW file, while at the same time preserving the EXIF data from the .THM sidecar file and also preserving the original CRW creation date? <br /> <br /> Thank you for any help.</p>

<p>I used a modified version of Dave Coffins program "crw_parse" ... he wrote this program to adjust crw-files with an inconsistent filelength (after file recovery for example). My modification would take out the embedded jpg-file (in addition to what Dave programmed into it). But Canons EOS Browser can also extract embedded jpg-files.</p>

<p>As for the exif data ... the easier way is to take all exif data from the thm-file. The thm-file is a small jpg-file (with the extension .thm rather than .jpg). It contains a complete exif-header, which can be added to the extracted large-jpg (which contains no exif header at all). (I used M.Wandels "jhead" to transfer the exifheader).</p>

<p>I'm quite confident that you can do all the work with exiftool too ... but have to admit I never used it for that.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>Just for the record, here is one of the examples in the exiftool application documentation:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>exiftool -b -JpgFromRaw -w _JFR.JPG -ext CRW -r .</strong><br>

Recursively extract JPG image from all Canon CRW files in the current<br>

directory, adding "_JFR.JPG" for the name of the output JPG files.</p>

</blockquote>