Any Dynax 9 users here?

sam_chapman1

I bought one of these about a year after it first came out, but one way or another, it didn't have the impact on Canon and Nikon cameras that Minolta was hoping it would. Some said that it wasn't a 'proper' Pro camera because it had a built-in flashgun, (even though this also acted as a slave for Minoltas other flashguns) and that whilst it's AF system pretty-well always 'nailed' what it was focussed on, it wasn't as fast as their competitors AF systems. Big and heavy, using a stainless steel body, it also offered via large, ergonomically positioned dials and levers (great when you need to use gloves) offering a wide range of functions such as data recording, daylight and flash +/- exposure compensation, auto-bracketing, time-lapse, red-eye, front and rear curtain flash sync and eye-start. In short, this was to be Minoltas' swan-song camera.

Dynax9.thumb.jpg.e502b0bc1bfac4c8889b744557e44283.jpg

I've still got and use mine, it's a big brute, built like a brick latrine and still utterly reliable. The thing is, I've often wondered how many Minolta actually made, how many around here have used one and with the benefit of hindsight, was this a 'better' camera than people at the time made it out to be?

Great topic, thanks for starting it Sam.

I recently became a Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha 9 user, and have the first roll of film (Portra 400) in it now. It is the most solidly built 35mm camera I have experienced. I like that it is compatible with several currently manufactured Sony Zeiss alpha lenses. It's easy to find lots of positives written about this camera, difficult to find negative feedback on it.

Regarding the 9 as a body, it has far more features than I will need. I am generally a manual or aperture priority shooter. Build quality is unquestionably robust. I was looking for a body to use my 28-70/2.8 G lens, and the 9 was it. I was coming from a 7000AF body, which had disintegrated badly. I like the knob controls, and that it has a PC socket, so I can drive a wireless trigger for studio strobe lighting. The electronic release socket fits the RC-1000 cable, which I had from the 7000AF system, so that is nice. I like the built in flash, and will use it as fill light for informal portraits in the 28mm-35mm lens range. It doesn't fit my lighting style for longer or more formal portraits. I like the flash bracketing feature which I am playing with now. Questions apply to the 9 as with any other electronic camera, which is, how long will the electronics last, and what are the solutions, if any exist? So far I haven't read much about this, and am not too worried. The 9Ti is a great looking special edition.

Regarding the Miinolta/Sony/Zeiss lens system, I happy with this. The legacy Minolta AF lenses are known for a pleasing color palette noticeably different (warmer) than Canon and Nikon. The Minolta G glass is professional grade. That Zeiss lenses are available is great, with sharpness and rendering Zeiss is known for. I have always wanted a Minolta 300/2.8 G and the 9 facilitates this possibility. The 9 can be found with an aftermarket upgrade to handle SSM lenses. I am looking for one of these now.

Overall I am happy with the 9 after a short introduction. I'll be shooting it over the next months and will be checking in on this thread.

Wilmarco Imaging

Wilmarco Imaging, on Flickr

wilmarcoimaging on Instagram

You've also reminded me of something else, which is that Sony also produce the Alpha A9, that enable you to use the original Minolta mount lenses, directly onto a digital body without the bulky Minolta to Sony adaptor. Mind you this is an expensive bit of kit, but at least it indicates that Sony hasn't forgotten it's Minolta roots.