Any danger of letting AF-S motor die on lens

chris_bassett1

I have a 70-200mm f/2.8G lens (that's probably about 6-7 years old) that I got really cheap as part of a bundle of lenses from someone I know. He told me that he thinks the AF motor on the 70-200 was dying (and this is evidenced by a squeak when focusing--focusing is still spot on and accurate, and quite, but it squeaks when it has to search).

Like I said, it still focuses fine, and is quick, but just makes noises... This must be a first gen lens (he got it used and paid a good amount for it) so there is no papers on the lens, but I did find a place near me that will fix it regardless when the motor does decide to go out.

So anyway, my question is: since we are pretty sure the AF motor is dying, is there any danger in letting it completely die until replacing it? I don't have to worry about it damaging any other components do I?

I can deal with the squeaking noise, but who knows, it may still work for another year or so, or die tomorrow.... either way, I know it's going to crap out at some point, probably sooner than later, but just want to make sure that letting it die is not going to harm anything else. VR motor is still in good shape.

I can't think of any problem the motor would cause, but one problem I can think of is Nikon no longer providing parts when it does finally break. I'd fix it now rather than risk never getting it fixed at all.

Kent in SD

That's what I was thinking. Even though it may live for another month or year, I may be screwed if I wait too long. Was also considering buying a spare AF motor just in case it dies again in a year or two (I can only get a 6 month warranty on replacement unfortunately). I anticipate of the $450 quoted for repair, about $150-200 is for the motor itself...

You could also try and bring it in at Nikon for maintenance service ( or just a repair quote) , if there is something wrong with it they will tell you and inform you about repair costs..

A squeek in a lens is not always a real problem, in AF-S 70-200 from 2007 / 2008 there was a squeek when turning the Focus manualy past infinit when brand new , and it never gave any problems , just a "feature" of the lens...

I'll probably get a quote, see what it costs to just buy the motor (but not have it installed). Then just wait for it to die. But again, like yo usaid, it may not even be a problem. Does Nikon require you have paperwork for the lens? I purchased it used quite cheap, but with no paperwork or docuemntation. Still has serial number on it though, obviously.

I did post a video from youtube that shows the noise I'm hearing, and most people who've looked at it say it's the AF motor as it seems to be a common thing. This lens, is also probably one of the first lenses, so probably from the era you're describing: 2007-2008, so it's older. That and I don't even know if it's a US version or grey market. I guess worst case is Nikon would refuse to look at it if it was grey market and then I'm just back to square one with repairs. At least I have a worst case scenario (local shop charging $450 to replace the motor, which they can get).

• 2 weeks later...
So I just got the lens back from repair. $500 to replace the AF motor (apparently the lens was dropped at some point, as they said there was impact damage which damaged the motor). Anyway, $500 for a new motor, calibration and cleaning, so it's essentially a "refurbished" lens now and works great. Hopefully, with what I've spent thus far (about $900) on this, it will last at least a few years.... But I have read about people who still have these lenses from day one, and they're still going strong, so hopefully that's the case here too.