Any Cosina spies out there?

chip l.

Shortly after PMA 2003 it was indicated that Cosina was coming out

with something late this year; that was very different that what we

are used to. Anyone heard "valid" rumors as to what that might be?

Maybe after the Bessa TM, maybe a Bessa RM that took the older

single and dual cam Leica SLR lenses?

No... they said at PMA there was going to be another RF product.

I was once told about a half frame 35 RF, but other folks more connected to Kobayashi-san say that project has not seen light of day.

Now if you want something unusual... think square format 35 twin lens reflex, with internchangable lenses. Think C330 in 35mm... but thats not what I think Cosina has in mind.

I think what Chip is referring to was a Steve Gandy report on a PMA interview with the Cosina president in which there's a references to a "unique addition to the Voigtlander RANGEFINDER line unlike any other rangefinder currently in production" being introduced by the end of the year - which to me means a body - my guess is still a 1.0x viewfinder body with 50/90/125-135 frames plus (perhaps) a Leica screw-mount version of Cosina/Voigtlander's 125mm lens now available if SLR mounts.

However, in the meantime Cosina has been busy -

The Bessamatic SLR already mentioned,

new versions of existing lenses in mounts for Nikon rangefinders, including the 12mm and 15mm, and the 90 APO-Lanthar (re-rated as an 85mm);

Nikon F SLR versions of the 12 and 15 (requiring mirror lockup - and having the weirdest viewfinder you've ever seen);

etc. etc. - see cameraquest.com....

But, there's still 3+ months left in 2003. Watch for that 1.0x viewfinder Bessa-(X?, F?, R3?, dunno)

A Bessa R3 with life-size finder has only a 37mm effective rangefinder base length, shorter than even the Leica 0.58 which, in turn, also lacks 135mm framelines. It's unlikely for such an R3 to focus a goggle-less 125mm f/2.5 lens accurately. The Bessa T, however, does have a long enough base length for this lens.

The 125mm Macro, if (a big IF) converted to rangefinder mount, will have an M mount since the LTM Bessa R cannot focus it accurately. (Their 90mm lens is only f/3.5) It will also lose the close-focusing ability.

My take on the R3 is a variable finder in the style of old Canons. It will, however, kill the sales for the Bessa T and thus can only be a replacement for the latter. To make the rangefinder version of the 125 sufficiently appealing, it will require such a camera.

Perhaps Alex Shishin will break the news to us via Japanese mags?

>Nikon F SLR versions of the 12 and 15 (requiring mirror lockup - and having the weirdest viewfinder you've ever seen);

These SL lenses will be available in Nikon F and other mounts. Both ultilize their existing, long-available finders which are hardly "weird" in any sense. However, the rear lens caps ARE very long, each sporting an accessory shoe for their finders. See http://www.cosina.co.jp/12-15sl/index.html

Andrew:

1) The beauty of a 1.0x finder lies not in whether it would improve focusing accuracy, but that it would allow shooting with both eyes open. It's a kick, if you've ever tried it with a Nikon SP, Canon P or Contax G2 (w/90mm lens). Just a disembodied frame floating over a stereo image of reality...a real "I am a camera" experience.

That being said - a 1.0x Bessa would be more accurate than the current .6x Bessa rangefinder - no?

2) The finder for the Nikon F version of the 15mm Super-Wide Heliar replaces the entire pentaprism with a plastic pyramid - definitely a candidate for weirdest-looking finder ever (although there are others). The Nikon F does not have a normal accessory shoe to fit the regular Voigtlander 15mm finder. (yes, you can buy an additional accessory/accessory shoe that fits over the rewind crank, and then use the normal 15mm finder - but you have to remove it every time you rewind film.) Regardless, CV is making and selling the weird finder in any case.

see picture at http://www.cameraquest.com/VCSL1215.htm

Increased rangefinder precision is a big advantage as it widens the ease of use and the line of lenses.<br>

However, any Leica or Bessa DO HAVE a set of 1:1 viewfinders if you know how to use them. For Bessas built-in 1:1 finders are 50mm, 75mm, 100mm, 135mm.

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005WKI">

<b>See my other thread about how to use them.</b></a>

>Just a disembodied frame floating over a stereo image of reality

Our own Michael Bender has posted several times about opening both eyes when using the Leica M, resulting in the same effect.

>a 1.0x Bessa would be more accurate than the current .6x Bessa rangefinder - no?

It would still less accurate than the Bessa T or even a Leica 0.58. Anyway time will tell whether this is what Cosina will offer.

> The finder for the Nikon F version of the 15mm Super-Wide Heliar replaces the entire pentaprism with a plastic pyramid

You can see from that Gandy page, that the "pyramid" is merely the foot for the accesory shoe. You still need to buy the finder separately. Admittedly it allows rewinding and entails less parallex error than the Nikon (AS-1?) ISO shoe adapter.

As Andrew says - we'll find out the truth eventually, one way or the other.

As to 1:1 viewing with both eyes - covering the viewfinder with a finger still means you only see the subject with one eye - not stereo vision. (Chewing gum on the frame selector lever - no comment). There are other workarounds, too (Kontur finder, Leica's own non-focusing 50/90/135 accessory finders).

A 1:1 viewfinder that allows viewing and focusing all at once with both eyes is one thing. Workarounds (even ingenious ones) are another. Don't confuse the two. They are not equivalent.

How about aperture priority (who makes the FE10?) Might be a good step for those getting into RFs from their hyper-automated SLRs. Also, a short step to an aperture priority SLR - provided Nikon blesses it.

Lens and accessory lines are pretty complete.

I would love a more quiet shutter, but I am not holding my breathe.

chad