Any 380EX on XT users out there?

robert_thommes

Got the chance to get an external flash unit...the 380EX. I have only had very

limited experience with a Sunpak 383 on my recently replace 300D. I do not use

a flash very often at all. So would the Sunpak be sufficient for use on my

newly acquired 350Xt, or would the 380EX be a much better (to use)flash? If

so, why? Which unit would be more automatic when using it on the Xt?

Thank you

One more thing. For either flash unit, I would still choose to use them on a flash bracket. I have a nice one, but would need a cord. I'm thinking there are "right and wrong" cord options. So which would be the proper cord when hooking to a 350XT for either the Sunpak 383 and/or the Canon 380EX? Thanks folks.

I have a 380EX, as well as 580EX, and have used ETTL and auto thyristor flashes extensively. With the 380EX, you gain ETTL. You don't get a head that swivels (like the Sunpak 383) and use of partial power settings. If you are used to and like the Sunpak, I'd stick with the Sunpak unless you really want certain ETTL features, such as high speed sync, and want to use shutter priority and program. Some people like auto thyristor better than ETTL for exposure consistency. The 380EX is a nice flash. Maybe read up on ETTL at photonotes.org/eosflash.

I do not use a flash very often at all

Either do I, that is why I got a 380ex (it is more automatic) on the XT. They can be had used for about $100 or so. Try one out - you can always sell it and move up to the 430ex or 580ex if the 380ex doesn't meet your needs.

380EX is just fine on an XT... that was my first experience into flash and off flash photography, and it worked well enough, and was a great learning experience in what works and doesn't.

If you can score a 380EX for cheap, it's well worth the money... especially if you dont' plan to do any off camera work... otherwise, $260 for a 430EX is a better option.

David,

By "off camera work", just what do you mean? I'm thinking of using this flash on a flash bracket, which is certainly off the camera body. Is that it? I also need to know the proper off-camera cord to use between the 350XT hot shoe and the mount on the flash bracket(which has a mount similar to the hot shoe on the camera).

I think David means using the flash on a stand, wired or wireless connection. For your use on a bracket the Off Camera Shoe Cord 2 would work. It has been replaced by the 3 model, but you don't need it. In fact, try to find one used. There is also the Promaster knock-off. To answer your original questions directly: in my opinion, the Sunpak 383 would not only be sufficient, it would make more sense for your situation (what we know of it). The reason being, you already have the 383, it works fine on the XT, you already know how to use it, you wouldn't need an off camera shoe cord, and it probably has a bit more consistent flash exposure. This, again, is all 'in my opinion'. As to which would be more automatic--I say the 383, but add to the tail end of the phrase, 'with consistent exposure'. Otherwise, you CAN plunk the 380EX on the camera and shoot in any of the modes, and without changing the f stop and ISO on the flash, but whether or not you can shoot without having to compensate the flash from shot to shot is another story. You will also have HSS, second curtain sync, etc. etc.(what ETTL gives you), but do you need them all?

I`d agree with Nadine, use the sunpak for simplicity, many folks can`t get their head around Ettl as there are many variables. the auto thyrister is a simple set ISO & f stop matching the camera and shoot within the range on the scale and alter accordingly. If you need the extra features the 380 OK :)