Anti-War Demonstration in DC. Comments welcome!

samir

All these pictures were shot with a Leica M3 with Summicron 50mm. The film

was HP5. This is the first time I shot at a rally / demonstration so be critical!

It was a sunny and bright day and a higher than usual percentage of my

pictures were not well exposed.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't participate in a lot of 'critique' here on this site (either in the critique forums or here on 'the boards') so I'm probably breaking some rules or something. Here goes:

For me, these images are lacking a human element. It's like you've allowed yourself to simply 'collect slogans' of signs that caught your eye. Whether or not you agree with the �politics� of a demonstration, I think to convey the message you need to somehow capture the �conviction� of those protesting. It might be anger, tears, fear, calm, etc. If you don�t agree with the politics of a given demonstration, you can always seek out the incongruous emotional displays; people laughing around a sign expressing anger, etc.

I don�t find any of that here. You say it�s your first attempt, maybe you�re shy about taking photos when people are aware you are there, etc. For this type of photography, I think you�ll have to get over this to improve.

The images lack any conviction, either on the part of the

protesters or the photographer. Maybe that was the way it was.

A bunch of people milling around holding clever (and not so

clever) signs they came up with over a Latte at Starbucks the day

before.

BTW, get a ND filter for your lens, and you'll be ready for the next

bright day of shooting.

Keep at it, learn from this one and apply it the next time out.

Good shooting to you.

Samir

The shots are a bit washed out. Otherwise they are OK as documents, but I can't really imagine what you will do with them to be honest as they do lack impact or striking compositions. What's with the German contingent "Pig ist Pig" etc. Can someone explain?

Robin Smith

Thanks for the comments. I take note and I agree with you, although the people were really quite, calm with a lot of middle aged people.

As you can imagine there were a lot of photographers, split in 2 groups: a first group was in the middle of the crowd. The second group was set all the way along the demonstration with their cameras on tripods and with telephoto, some on top of the trees. The series I just put here were from my first roll. I ll check and hope I will get more inspiring ones in the other rolls.

Bob : what do you mean by "unwashed" crowd.

As a former journalist, I learned to restrain my political opinions and only concentrate on the photos. Yes, more people interaction and less of the signs and slogans. Most people at these types of events are eager for the publicity and willingly put on a good visual display. In the thick of a crowd, your best lens choice is in the wide range--21mm or 24mm would have been perfect. HP5+ is a great film with good latitude and probably has better detail in the negative than is evident in the photos here. Good initiative on getting into the middle of things.

<i>

As a former journalist, I learned to restrain my political opinions and only concentrate on the photos. Yes, more people interaction and less of the signs and slogans. </i>

<p>

I'm a former PJ myself, and I agree that journalists should strive for objectivity. I made my comments about 'slanting' your view on the assumption that Samir (and perhaps others) have an interest in telling a particular story or advancing a particular view. As an example, I'm now employed as an engineer, and my union went out on strike three years ago. I took many photos in PJ style of the picket lines, rallys, etc. In that instance, it was not in by best interests or the interests of the union to publish anything that embarrassed the union.

<p>

Knowing the story you're trying to 'sell' helps.

Lee, Thanks for the comments. I had a VL 25mm. Obviously it was a mistake not to use it!!!

Regarding the story, I did not want to push a political story, I wanted to be there and wanted to experiment with this kind of photography. I was with a group of parents from my children's school but I decided I did not want to photograph them so I went on my own, so maybe this was another mistake...

Samir,

I feel a little unqualified to comment here as I am very much in

the same boat you are - trying to learn to effectively document our

times. I find that these types of situations it's often difficult to

focus creatively as there is so much going on. Perhaps it would

help to try to meet one person who has something that appeals

to you visually and emotionally and stick with them through the

event. In not that, you could look for a theme and work that angle.

In short, you need to determine what you wish to convey and look

for ways to do so. I think one of the importance aspects of

photography is to show people aspects of life that are often

overlooked: bring your on personal perspective. It's difficult but

that's what makes it so enjoyable. Good luck.

Samir,

I too attend the Anti-War ralley. Here are some of my shots.

Surprising to me ther wasn't that many "unwashed". And no more a "minority of voices" as described by the Bush administration. No more than the "majority" that voted for him.

This attached photo is the one that haunts me even today. It was also among the very first that I took that day. It is of a father that lost his daughter in the Shanksville, PA crash on 9-11. Amazing that a man that should welcome actions against those that hold "weapons of mass destruction", was there in the freezing cold to protest the Bush administration's actions.

Chip

Samir,

Wanted to add that I looked at this as an opportunity to try out the new Tri Elmar in my kit. I was taken aback at the depth of attendees. Young, old, the "unwashed" or "American dirt", the clergy, and everything in between. Too bad Norman Schwarzkopf wasn't there. Seems like he is now "unwashed" "American dirt"; he would have fit in well that day.

Chip

I'd certainly prefer to hang out with the "unwashed" than with people who talk about "third world toilets," especially since the latter people probably haven't taken the time to meet the people in those countries they are assailing.

That said, I have to agree with the criticisms of Samir's photos. I think Chip's are better but still need something to hang together as a group.

I don't think "objective" journalism produces any better results than "subjective" journalism. Everyone is subjective to some degree, and people who have a point of view and use it can often present a much more coherent vision. Take the over-used (at least on this forum) example of Salgado, for instance.