Anti virus programs

<p>My desktop software license expires in 7 days. It's McAfee Live Safe that came with the computer at $20. Now they want $79.99 to renew. I checked what it's done for me in the last 12 months: 2 viruses or threats removed or quarantined; 21 risky connections blocked and 21 spam messages blocked. <br /><br />Why so little? is Windows and Internet Explorer and Firefox that I use also blocking most of the threats so McAfee does little more?<br /><br />Getting back to upgrade, it seems like overkill plus I have iPads that it cannot be loaded in, I believe.<br /><br />What software would you recommend? I have one desktop Windows, 1 laptop (Windows), an iPad, and Android cell phone and an Iphone.<br />Thanks.</p>

<p>After years of nothing but conflict issues and unwanted solicitations from Norton and MacAfee I switched to AVG free quite a few years ago. This seems to perform well, albeit that every time I need to bring the system up to date I'm harangued mildly to uptrade to the paid version , and if I'm not a little careful I could end up with homepages and bars I don't want. </p>

<p>I was running Comodo internet security suite, free version, for years and contracted two viruses recently that it did not detect nor did Advanced System Care Malware Fighter free version. I switched to Norton as it was on sale just before the first of the year and can be installed on 5 devices. I still use Malware Fighter as it is combined with Advanced System Care which does a very good job of keeping the registry clean and defragmented, junk files cleared, and similar tasks. ASC is available in both free and paid versions at http://www.iobit.com/iobit2015.php , worth having.<br>

Windows 8.1 on 2 computers, Firefox with bluhell firewall, ASC, Norton.</p>

<p>Kaspersky is another very good security suite. </p>

<p>I dumped McAfee on this machine before the free, bundled installation ended and never used it on the other machine. I contacted McAfee about some abnormalities with browsing and their rep said if I had an infection they would help me recover them otherwise they were not interested.</p>

<p>I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus. I can usually find it on sale from Fry's. In fact you can usually find all the major anti-virus products on sale for little more than the sales tax after rebate.</p>

<p>However, whichever anti-virus you decide to use, be sure to <strong>completely </strong>remove your previous anti-virus product. Here is a link to a list of removal programs that Kaspersky keeps. Although I have not used the McAfee removal tool, I have used the one for Norton with good results.<br>

http://support.kaspersky.com/consumer/tools-utilities</p>

<p>Nothing will cause more problems than having two anti-virus programs or the remnants of an anti-virus program on a computer at one time. </p>

<address>Alan, Another vote for Norton (360) Like Dave (knock on wood too), since installing Norton a few years ago I've had no virus problems. Happy Camper so far. Not saying there are no BETTER options, just saying what has worked for me. I recently bought a new computer & gave the bundled McAfee the boot while installing my more familiar Norton. (I hate new learning curves) Best, Len. </address>

<p>On my main WIN 7 Pro computer which I use for image processing, I use Norton Internet Security but I have a couple XP computers with very useful legacy programs with no anti virus. I just don't have the computers connected to the internet for any reason. Problem solved. For surfing the internet, use an Apple product such as an iPad. </p>

<p>So I checked some of the ratings from PCMag and others and decided to go with Kaspersky Internet Security which include the anti-virus program as well as a firewall.<br>

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LC9UU6C/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1</p>

<p>Anyone use Kaspersky? </p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your input.</p>

<p>when windows xp was still supported, I used microsoft security essentials.<br>

it was very good.<br>

now that I am still using win xp ( certain programs will not run under newer programs)\<br>

\I use avg free and malware bytes.<br>

I tried hard to install avg-free but all versions seem to have a built-in beg to pay for the official version.<br>

but if I were running vista or 7. I would use microsoft security essentials.<br>

I can see no need for anything else/..<br>

I do have ccleaner and auslogic disk defragger.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm using a combination of Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast freebie. Works together well. The Avast deep scan picked up some malware problems with old files I'd copied over from my older PC back in 2012. Fortunately I'd never installed or accessed those older files so no harm was done.</p>

<p>But we need to be realistic. Malware is big business and the malware developers are way ahead of us. There's money in ransomware, security data theft, keyloggers and zombie/bot malware. According to some recent news reports, malware development is run like any conventional business, with incentives for the best malware developers.</p>

<p>Personally I'm more concerned about ransomware, making our media files inaccessible until a ransom is paid. I'm considering keeping my primary photo and media editing PC completely offline. But this isn't really practical with most editing software, which is required to be online at least part time for updates. And Windows really needs to be online full time to ensure updates for security. So the next most practical compromise is to use the primary PC only for accessing the bare minimum of websites that can be trusted and to avoid everything else. I'm using my laptop for most routine web access, and don't share files between the laptop and desktop, or network them.</p>

<p>Zombie/bot malware isn't as much of a personal threat. There's no incentive in crippling computers and mobile devices. They need to function as normally as possible in order for zombie/bot malware to function effectively. The secondary threat is theft of passwords and valuable data linked to banking and commerce.</p>

<p>An interesting string of comments. I'm surprised no one is using Trend Micro, it's what my office uses and the IT Dept. recommended it for my home. I've used it for years and it performs well, has a light footprint and you can license 3 computers per subscription. The only difficulty involved their proclivity to default to auto-renewal payments that got out of whack once, but a phone call straightened it out. Alan, the cost is about the same as your upgrade quote... Mike</p>

<p>If Canon (and all photo editing software) would write their software to include Linux, I would never have to use Windows at all. It's a never ending process to protect yourself from hackers attacking Windows. All OS's, including Linux, are capable of being hacked, but Windows is by far the worst. I only use Windows for my photo editing with Canon's DPP. Other than updates and <strong>outgoing</strong> data, I never use Windows on the web. All my internet surfing is done through Linux. I have never used any security program with Linux for nearly 20 years, and have never had a problem with viruses. When I do have to use Windows (Win7/64bit), I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's Windows own security program......you would think that they would know best how to protect themselves. So far, no problems. I make sure to keep my OS updates current, and I always turn off (unplug) my computer when not in use. You can't be hacked if you're not connected!</p>

<p>Here's an article on <a href="http://www.decentsecurity.com/#/holiday-tasks/">how to clean and optimize your windows computer</a>. Written by somebody "who actually knows." I follow this author regularly, good bona fides, @SwiftOnSecurity of Twitter fame, probably more than you want to know.</p>

<p>On a more serious note: I'm a techie, I just took a serious course on <em>Economics of Cyber Security</em>. Key conclusions: be careful out there, keep all your software up to date, a vigorous dark industry is creating new threats all the time, all the security product vendors are playing catch-up.</p>

<p>Don't buy Lenovo who just got <a href="https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/02/man-in-the-midd_7.html">found out pre-installing a horrendous security flaw on their laptops</a>.</p>