Anti-Newton Ring spray?

david_gagnon

I am having a problem with Newton Rings showing up on my prints. I

have recently started printing 8x10 negatives with a glass carrier.

I've purchased a product called "Anti Newton Spray" by Tetenal, and I

would like to use it to try to alleviate the problem. However, after

searching for a while on the forum, I couldn't see the main part of

my question addressed. Are the rings formed from the emulsion side of

the negative too, or is it just the acetate side? I don't really want

to spray this on both sides, number one, for fear it may damage the

emulsion, number two, it is quite costly($13.95 for an itty bitty

can!). Hope someone out there has already tried this, or at least can

tell me if I can get away with just spraying the one side.

When I first noticed it in the print, I knew what it was. I've read

horror stories about glass negative carriers. I immediately removed

the carrier and carefully held it, turning it over, twisting it at

various angles to teh light to try to see them in the area they

appeared on the print, but to no avail.

I thank you in advance for your answers.

David G. Gagnon

Thanks for that suggestion, Art. I had seen that in one of the threads

as a remedy, but I'd still like to know if it's both sides of the negative that produce the rings. If not, it will be easier, housekeeping-wise, to just dust the glass that lies against the side of the negative that's the culprit.

David G. Gagnon

Is your glass carrier ANG? If not, maybe an ANG carrier would do it.

Here is a good source:

The LightHouse Photo Shop and www.fpointinc.com are owned and operated

by

Focal Point Industries, Inc.

2867 Stonewall Place, #101

Sanford, Florida    32773

For inquiries and information, contact: mike@fpointinc.com

(407) 322-2123

GOOD LUCK..

Thanks to all who have already answered. I'll try the spray on the base side first, then I'll try the talcum powder. If I get tired of fiddling around with those, I'll get off my wallet and spring for the AN glass (It's cheaper than I thought...I had seen on one of the threads where someone had it priced at $400.00. The dealer David Stein

mentioned has it for less than $100.00 for an 8x10 sheet. He's about 70 miles away from me in Florida, so that will work out well.

I'll post a follow-up when I am able to get out in the darkroom and try these suggestions. Thanks to all who have helped me out again!

David G. Gagnon

David, I recall an earlier post on the subject of Newton Rings there was the recommendation of putting a border of ruby lith tape around the edges of the top glass. The thickness of the tape should keep the glass far enough from the acetate to eliminate those rings. Could be! Lots cheaper than the ANR glass and less messy than spray. On the other hand, could you eliminate the offending top glass entirely? My Elwood is so hot that the glass serves the purpose of keeping things from buckeling, but maybe you've got a cooler operating enlarger. Good luck!

Doesn't your glass carrier have two different pieces of glass, one that is diffused and looks like the anti-glare glass you see in picture glass and the other side clear glass? If not, and if instead both sides are clear glass, throw it away and get a decent glass carrier. If it does, which side of the film are you placing against the diffused glass? You should be putting the base (shiny) side of the negative against the diffused glass. If you're doing this and still get the rings then I don't know what the problem is. You shouldn't need to use anti-Newton spray with a good glass negative carrier. That stuff is made primarily for contact printing since contact printers usually just have clear glass. I've used a Beseler glass carrier for years and have never seen a Newton ring. Good ones aren't cheap - mine cost about $125 as I recall - but they'll save you much aggravation.

This is probably a silly point, and I almost apologize for even mentioning it, but you talk about spraying "both sides" and you say you are afraid that if you do that you might damage the emulsion side of the negative. You aren't by chance thinking that you use this spray on the negative are you?

My experience is the same as Brian's. I use the Beseler carrier, which is white plastic on the top and glass not the bottom. The emulsion side goes down, of course. I have never had a ring problem under any condition. You can buy a sheet of plastic like this and tape it with gaffers tape for a hinge to a piece of glass and make the same thing yourself for less than $12. I'd try this before I started spraying things on my film.

Brian, No that's fine that you mentioned not spraying the negative. The instructions did say to do it, though. I guess spraying the glass may do the same thing. I have a homemade negative carrier made out of birch 3/4" plywood with two plates of standard window pane glass. My enlarger is an old metal Elwood 8x10 that I didn't have a carrier for. The ones I found for sale were in pretty rough shape and either were glassless or the glass was broken. I wasn't even sure whether they'd fit or not. So I did what works best for me (in most cases) and made my own. Short of the Newton Ring problem, it works great. I tried to just use the bottom glass, but the negative would not lie flat, so I added the second glass on top. This is just a hobby for me right now, as I have a real job during the day. I usually try to get by with good to great results at a minimal cost. I may have to go the Anti-Newton glass route before it's over, though.

Thanks.

David G. Gagnon