Antelope canyon in November

kevin_qu

Everyone will have a different opinion but mine is that you have a real Catch 22 situation on your hands. The best time to avoid the crowds in Upper Antelope (and it DOES get crowded)is early morning but the best light is mid-day. I can't really speak to the size of the crowds this time of year since I've only been there in March, April, and July so maybe you'll get lucky. Good luck and good shooting.

I was there in 2003 in late October and as I recall mid day was the best time to go but there are people and courtesy is important both as a photographer to other photographers and to other visitors.

I know it is expensive to go on a trip like this, but it is expensive for everyone. You need to respect others. I only say this because I was treated in a couple of instances with discourtesy by photographers who forgot that there is more to life than THEIR shot. :)

Very well said, Nancy. I was at Mesa Arch in Canyonlands last month for a sunrise shot. I had gotten their early because I knew it would get crowded. A guy from New York came 10 minutes later and sets up his camera right in my path - I asked him politely to move over just a little bit. He ultimately did, but not before mouthing off and getting real rude. I just don't get it - some people think they are the only ones on this planet.

I have to agree with most everyone else. As close to noon as possible. I was in there about 3 weeks ago, and the light was somewhat less than spectacular. I've done antelope in summer and it is much better, IMO. I can only speak for the lower, never been to the upper. If you do go to the lower, you can get a "photographers pass" at no extra cost and the guides should leave you alone, unless you want a guide!

Hey Kevin,

<p>

<p>

I hate to add more opinions to the mix, but from my experience in Antelope Canyon last May, I found that Lower Antelope was better in the early morning. I visited Lower at both high noon and early morning and found the walls to have a much more dramatic light in the morning. The guides will leave you alone once you enter the Lower canyon, and I doubt it ever gets crowded.

<p>

Upper is supposed to be better mid-day (when I was there) which is when the light shafts appear. I honestly didn't enjoy Upper very much due to the Disney-like crowds and tour groups going through. I may be overly sensitive to crowds when I'm shooting and this might not bother you at all. Regardless, Upper is definitely worth seeing, whether you're shooting or not.

<p>

Jimmy B

<p>

<a href="http://www.jimbicegophoto.com">http://www.jimbicegophoto.com</a><div>00InPp-33513184.jpg.4a6d5a2a5f98a6d6e94279411017dcec.jpg</div>

Kent asks the deepest question. Why do people keep going to famously photogenic locations that have been photographed to death by others often by far greater photographers? I have only my answer. I go to these places because seeing them often has value beyond the act of doing "my" photograph of a given location. Some places are so strikingly beautiful that when I do photograph them, I almost do not care if I have film in the camera. Some wish to do "their own" version of a place. I certainly agree that it seems a bit silly to see a crowd of people in a few square feet of space in a national park with hundreds of square miles of wilderness but I suspect that will not change and with the advent of easier to use pocket digitals, will only worsen.

Eric

In response to Jimmy. I agree with your point that morning light is better, especially in May, but he is planning on visiting in November. The morning light in May is about the same as noon light in November.

In response to Kent, Antelope is one of those special places that every nature lover should see in his/her lifetime. It is such a unique slot canyon, regardless if you are a photographer or not. Yes, there are a couple of other slots in the area that are as photogenic or better, but they are much more difficult to get to, or off limits. For ease of access and pure astonishment, Antelope canyon cant be beat!

Thanks all for your replies. That?s a nice shot, Jim.

Crowd doesn't bother me. My understanding is that lower and upper oriented differently. My concern is how low angle of the sun affects photographing lower and upper canyons.

It looks like lower is still worth to go around noon in November. Upper is best in summer for the light beam. I was in upper in April 2004, so I might skip it this time.

• 2 weeks later...