another wideangle lens

martin_czermak

Hi folks, please help me with your advice. I own a Super Angulon XL

5,6/58 with a max. picture angle of 110°. My next longer lens is a

APO-Symmar 5,6/100 with 72°. The preferred format size is 6x9. Now

I'm looking for a (little bit) longer wideangle lens, who fits

perfect between those two others. Would a 65mm lens or a 75mm lens be

the right choice? Which lens would you buy?

If you're shooting 6x9, your lenses probably have more coverage than you can begin to use.

I shoot 2.25" x 3.25" (if you're shooting roll film, that's the real size of your nominal 6x9) and have been very pleased with an 80 mm lens. 80/6.3 WF Ektar to be exact. It makes a nice change from 100 mm, and is usefully narrower than my next widest, a 65 Ilex. 65 isn't that much wider than 58.

More modern more expensive lenses should have more coverage than the 80 WF Ektar and be usable a little wider open.

Cheers,

Dan

A Super Angulon 72XL would certainly be worth a look. I am amazed at how much coverage, and how little distortion, this lens exhibits.

The 80 Super Symmar also has an excellent reputation, although (much to my regret) I have yet to play with one.

If you're adventurous at all Mamiya made a 5.6 75 for their 600 SE that is superb. It's a "wide field" design and just vignettes 4X5 by 1/4 inch or so but would be ideal for 6X9 or even 3X4. As manufactured it will be in a Seikosha shutter but the groups will mount right into a Copal 0. They go begging on E@@Y in the $250 range.

For 6x9 format using 57mm x 83mm, the actual size of everything I have.

The 58mm produces an image that is 52x71 degrees with a diagonal of 82 degrees.

The 100mm , an image 32x45 degree with a diagonal of 53 degrees.

65mm will be 47x65 degrees; 75 degree diagonal.

75mm will be 42x58 degrees ; 68 degrees.

75mm looks like it's exactly in the middle. Happy shopping!

I second Jim Galli's comments about the 75mm/f5.6 Mamiya/Polaroid lenses ... for 6x9, they offer plenty of movements and for what they sell for these days -- last year, I saw one sell for less than $100 on eBay -- they're a bargain compared to the performance they offer. If you don't want to remount the lens elements in another shutter, you can remove the lens/shutter assembly from the OEM focusing mount and mount it on a lensboard without too much difficulty.