Another Very Weird Experience

A little earlier, after processing a batch of images, I attempted to place them in my library. I would have done so, except for the fact that images I converted to b&w still were in color, and images on which I changed the crops from portrait to landscape and vice versa retained their original crops. So I deleted them.

To convince everyone that I am stark, raving ,f-'ing crazy, I just tried it again. This yielded exactly the same outcomes. So, again I had to rate even more of my time.

What gives, people?

A little earlier, after processing a batch of images, I attempted to place them in my library. I would have done so, except for the fact that images I converted to b&w still were in color, and images on which I changed the crops from portrait to landscape and vice versa retained their original crops. So I deleted them.

To convince everyone that I am stark, raving ,f-'ing crazy, I just tried it again. This yielded exactly the same outcomes. So, again I had to rate even more of my time.

What gives, people?

Just did it this minute - granted, only a single image - worked perfectly. My recollection is that there could be some kind of a lag. S/B the first shot in the portfolio - a butterfly from this morning. I will check back on it. Sorry you are having an issue - at the moment, nowhere I can take it other than hang a conversation out there.

Edit: Just checked - still Monochrome.

• Like 1

@michaellinder

I tried to duplicate the problem and I had the same experience. I initially thought that the 'update image' function under 'settings' wasn't working properly.

Until I read the small print in red when the úpdate'was finished: "

Note: you made need to hard refresh your browser to see the latest image in case of any previously browser cached thumbnails.

I hard no idea what a 'hard refresh' was so I looked it up. It just means clearing your browser's 'cache' of stored webpages and images. These days, browsers keep a local cache of files and images that you've previously accessed. Instead of downloading them again from the internet, they recognize the URL and load them from the local cache.

I use chrome and under the browser settings I cleared the local cache of files and images. Lo and behold, I discovered my new photo had indeed been updated. My browser was just showing me the old one in the local cache.

Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Mike

• Like 2

I don't have enough IT-technical insight or experience to comment. On the one hand, browsers loading locally cached (and possibly outdated) webpages/images is a much wider "problem" than just at PN. At least according to Google. On the other hand, there must be a way for browsers to figure out whether a webpage/image has been changed. Or for a webpage/image to tell a browser "don't cache me". This problem never occurs on the forum: we always see the most recent "version". Likewise for news sites. Interesting. Just out of curiosity I might dig deeper:).

the refresh browser suggestion is a good idea, waiting for the P.net system to catch up is another.