Another Pentax lens question...

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by Andy Collins, Jul 25, 2017.

1. I know very little about Pentax manual lenses, which is ironic because my first slr was an ME Super, albeit with an SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/2 and a Gemini 28mm f/2.8. That was as far as my Pentax lens experience extended before leaving manual cameras to dive into the world of EOS a few years later. Even since I began collecting cameras some years ago, I only had a few lenses, most of which were excellent, several versions of the 50mm f/1.4, from Super Takumar through the Pentax-A and Pentax-M 1.4s, the Pentax-A 24-50mm, the Pentax-A 35-105, and a couple others. Recently I acquired the 28-135mm f/4 beast, as I posted last week. So far I'm enjoying it a lot and building up muscle carrying it around. My question this time concerns the SMC Pentax-A Zoom 28-80mm f/3.5-4.5. I've read mixed messages about this lens, or maybe I'm just mixed up. I understand that it was a kit lens and that the non-SMC version was not a very good lens, but that the SMC "A" version (which is what I happen to have--it came with a pristine ME Super for $32!) was pretty good. Is that correct? What have any of you experienced with the SMC version of this short zoom (or the other one, for that matter), and is it a keeper or one to move along?

2. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

Andy,

Years ago I had the 'Takumar-A" (non-SMC) 28-80 and used it on a ME Super body for a while. It was a budget lens, largely plastic construction as I remember. I don't know if was even manufactured by Pentax, or possibly sourced from Cosina or elsewhere. I don't think it got the highest user reviews, but I thought it was a surprisingly decent lens.

Hope you can post some results from your 28-135.

Dave

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  3. Thanks Dave. That's pretty much the same opinion I've read from others regarding the Takumar-A 28-80. I'm really curious as to how different the SMC is to the Tak-A though. As for the 28-135, I will certainly post some pics. I'm almost finished with the roll of film, so hopefully I'll have some soon!

4. off topic, but...
    When I used Pentaxes (link), zoom lenses were exotic and mostly unsharp.