Another NJ bird ID please.

andy_szeto

Took these pictures at the NJ Meadowland. Just not quite sure if this is a female Western Tanager, a Yellow Warbler, a finch or what. Tried the Audobon and Cornell bird apps and just doesn't seem a perfect match. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

YellowBird1.jpg.7c6947e2c4e5e2fb4100c288b295b44c.jpg YellowBird2.jpg.fe742a7e651951fea2cb2d20e74ef36b.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you, Edwin and Tony. I think the problem using those apps was that the bird picture on each page is always a male. And I have no idea the bird in my picture is a male or female. The Cornell University bird photo ID app matched my picture with an American Goldfinch, which I know is not right. Thanks again, guys.
  • Like 1

I like iBird Pro. Doesn't always have females or juveniles but is pretty good. Some birds change pretty dramatically between breeding and non-breeding seasons which can really complicate things!

iBird also has recorded songs and calls which can be helpful with questionable id's.

I have it on iPhone. Don't know if android version available. I think there is (or used to be) a free/trial version.

• Like 1
Test

Not so sure - leg colour looks wrong, and the original bird pictured seems to have a finer, insectivore bill, and a faint eye-ring.

You may be right and certainly a yellow warbler is a possibility. They can be hard to tell apart without being able to carefully see each of the important differentiating features.

• 3 weeks later...