Another beautiful 4.5 Novar

<p>I just finished cleaning up this Ikonta 521/16 6x6. Got it all restored to working order, even the self timer, that is great for those long exposure shots when you forgot your cable release. If you have ever used one of these, you know that with the double exposure lock, if you press the button and forgot to cock the shutter, you just lost an exposure on your roll. So I disabled the lock but retained the red wind indicator to indicate that you wound it, but got rid of the (OH SH*T) factor.  The f4.5/7.5cm  Novar lens cleaned up cristal clear and I'll post some shots with it. It's a Real Nice little camera.</p>

<p>Hey Great to here that you like the Novar lenses.  As a repair person, I regularly test Novar lenses to 125 line pairs per millimeter at f:5.6, below this they look pretty aweful.  When I use these lenes they all look great in prints up to 11x14, and I have not one complaint.  However, when I go to sell them, they just sit on the auction site, or the local shops shelf.  Please post some images, and lets end the misconceptions.<br>

Mark</p>

<p>Here's a few Tri-X shots from a Super Ikonta III I had w/ the Novar 75 3.5 lens. Like an idiot I sold it, and have been haunting the auction sites like a ghoul lately trying to find another one. I swear I couldn't see any difference between the Novar and my other Zeiss folders w/ Tessar lenses at the smaller apertures. At least it went to another photo.net member. Thanks Jeff, and I hope you have fun w/ it. The Novar is really a great lens.</p><div>00Rihe-95535684.jpg.cfdfacd4affb41bbd1cc2e062f4cd7b0.jpg</div>

<p>Cliff, GREAT SHOTS, from an old film camera. As I have said before how will the DSLR's fare when they get as old as some of the  cameras that you, Gene M, JDM, Louis,  SG Adams, as well as  others use to take these wonderful pictures. I never get tired of viewing the photos all of you post using these "old good for nothing"film cameras. Thank you for making my day brighter. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would like to see someone like Russ have access to a bunch of these "Dust Collectors" since he is teaching photography. He could loan them out to students to use for the course and then as an incentive for the best progress (or something), actually give some away to young people that will use them, that have been taught how to use them, and how to do darkroom work etc. Does anybody think that is a good idea? Hey Russ what do you think? Would you like all the old farts out here to donate cameras for your students and get them to post pictures here from them?  If you get any real cruddy ones I will offer to fix them for your kids, no charge. </p>

<p>Great shots, Cliff.  I have one or two just like that, and I love my results as well.<br>

One tip.  You say:  "If you have ever used one of these, you know that with the double exposure lock, if you press the button and forgot to cock the shutter, you just lost an exposure on your roll. So I disabled the lock but retained the red wind indicator to indicate that you wound it, but got rid of the (OH SH*T) factor."  Not quite true.  The double exposure lock locks the body trigger button, but you can still trip the shutter by pushing the shutter release lever at the front of the camera (the silver thing that engages with the mechanism coming out of the body).  A little bit awkward, but you didn't need to disable the lock.<br>

</p>

<p>Hey August, you must have skinny little fingers to be able to get in there and trip that shutter while still getting a good shot. I think double exposure control is ok on a camera that cocks when you wind it. Sometime, it is nice to make double exposures intentionally. I don't like the locks myself.</p>

Cliff, yeah it is fiddly, depending on the camera. On some you can nudge the paddle coming out of the body which is a bit easier. I have a couple of prewar folders from before they introduced the advanced technology of having a body shutter release where you have to reach up to the lens for every shot. I also have a Bessa I on which the button trips the double exposure lock right at the top of the stroke but only fires the shutter when pressed all the way, so I've inadvertently tripped the lock without taking a picture. I just wanted to correct the impression that in such cases, you are absolutely SOL. I thought so at first and wasted a few frames before I realized I could reach forward and still fire.

<p>August,<br>

I've never had a problem getting to a compur to trip it, since they generally have a little knob of some kind, but

this little thin piece of tin in the Klio shutter it tucked in there too far for my fat finger to get to. I guess you could drill

the little piece of tin and put an (oh s**t)  extention on it.</p>

Nice shots.. indeed sharp! Well there's no bigger Novar fan than Russ! Regard to his students; I'd be concerned

that through disregard these fine classics would be abused. I think the Holga or some other inexpensive alternative, better suits the purpose. Although those who can progress or appreciate one could be awarded a nice folder! I sympathize with the dust collection etc... Russ?

Thanks for the discussion about the release. I think I've experienced this but due to my ignorance I assumed it was my error or the cameras, I lost an exposure or two. Now I understand better.

<p>Thanks Cliff. That shot of the tree standing all alone is a real keeper. Did you mention what film you're using? It looks like Agfa, but I doubt that's what it is these days. Maybe someone should start a Novar club. The only bad thing about this is once people start realizing they can produce great photos, there goes the low prices!</p>

<p>Chuck,<br>

I agree that I would not just pass them out to the kids. They would get destroyed for sure. That's why I thought that a teacher like Russ that knows these cameras could instruct them how to use them and take care of them properly. Then pass some around maybe in groups to use, and then give one away at the end of the class. I think we need to get the younger photographers back into film, and  medium format has a great wow factor for them.<br>

Steve,<br>

This was Konica Centuria Pro 400. I think it may be discontinued. I got it in 220 rolls and cut it in half and re-rolled on old 120 backing paper. Came out to $1.00 a roll. Can't beat that. I process it in standard Kodak C-41 Chem.</p>