Announcements: K-r and inexpensive DA35/2.4

andrewg_ny

<p><a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10090908pentax35mm.asp">DA35/2.4 AL</a>, MSRP $219, 124g. I'm sure more than a few will complain that it's not f/1.8 like the Nikkor, etc, or f/2 like the discontinued FA but if like most of the DA Limiteds with more modest max aperture (yes, I know it's not Limited, sealed, etc.) wide open it's probably not bad for its purpose--very compact, faster than any zoom, and cheap enough to be sold with entry level cameras.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10090910pentaxkr.asp">K-r body</a> looks promising even though it's predictably making the K-7's position weaker. </p>

<ul>

<li>6fps</li>

<li>illuminated viewfinder AF points </li>

<li>920K LCD</li>

<li><strong>excellent</strong>-sounding compromise of allowing Li-Ion battery <strong>OR</strong> AA via adapter</li>

<li>dedicated AF assist lamp</li>

<li>"Pet" scene mode!</li>

</ul>

<p>I don't think USA pricing is listed yet but UK is GBP 599 with 18-55 so I expect USA MSRP will probably be ~$700 kit? That's a guesstimate, but I expect at time of introduction it will probably be somewhere between 100-200 more than K-x?</p>

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>More on DA35/2.4 AL: Appears to have no distance markings on focusing ring, don't know yet about quick-shift focusing, haven't seen it mentioned yet. In the past, no mention has meant no quick-shift focus, so this may be another downer.</p>

<p>There are <em><strong>two</strong></em> hoods listed on the <a href="http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/smc_PENTAX_DA_L_35mm_F2.4_AL/">pentaximaging.com product page</a>, don't think either are bundled:</p>

<ol>

<li>Plastic Square-edged Spring Type (PH-SA49)</li>

<li>Rubber Round Shaped Threaded Type (RH-RC49)</li>

</ol>

<p> </p>

<p>I am not excited and I don't see the point for the 35mm f/2.4. What the heck is wrong with Pentax. Why isn't the old FA 35mm f/2.0 be back? Why do Pentax give us reasons to whine? I am sold on the recent lens on DA 15mm f/4.0 limited which comes out with everything I don't expect that Pentax does it good to pull out a good limited lens that I highly recommend to others.</p>

<p>Not that I will buy or care to try the new 35mm out on cheaper price. For one, I don't see any loyal users who have DA 35mm f/2.8 limited will have any reason to get exited with Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 AL. What is Pentax doing on the lens line? It is not full frame, nor does it have an old school aperture ring. I am scratching my head with this lens just as much as the 100mm WR version comes out. At least the macro has a good reason for weather seal for macro usage. What is so special on this new 35mm lens. Why not 28mm f/2.0 or God forbids a 24mm or 28mm f/1.8 with Pentax name on it. Why is Pentax so illogical and sporadic in lens roadmap? Are the good folks in Pentax lens development all gone for retirement and have the noob product management run the show and come out with odd products. I am stumbled and I am sure someone can correct me in the whining.</p>

<p>I will admit that I'd be a little more forgiving of f/2.4 if the lens was a little more pancake-y. Since it's not quite THAT tiny, it seems like offering f/2.4 for prices like others offer f/1.8 or f/2 is just giving people a reason to go elsewhere. I suspect however that Pentax will be bundling this lens in kits where it will probably add less than $100 to the cost of the camera and will be offered in matching colors (maybe not for me but cool that it exists). It's not like any enthusiasts were excited about DA-L 18-55's low-rent features either.</p>

<p>Lets hope this isn't the last lens announcement for the season, and that the K-5 is announced soon with perhaps another lens of a little more interest for enthusiasts.</p>

<p>Folks will no-doubt whine about what the K-r is not, but it sounds like it matches or improves on the K-x in most regards, and should remain competitive. The product is fortunately less embarrassing than their youtube video. The trick dual-battery type is an excellent idea, and they managed to cram it in this little body, so kudos there. There's also a new major AF module version, SAFOX IX, any improvements here will be welcome, but I'll note that K-7's SAFOX VIII+ was a noticeable improvement over what came before, so this may yet improve on that too. Would have been nice if they'd figured a way to include AF in video but that's probably no mean feat. Maybe K-5 will? </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"???? Thats it? I'm goin to bed (;"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Perhaps you missed the part about the Pet scene mode.<br>

Pentax also announced another pair of compacts, <a href="http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/RS1000/">one of which</a> is 'skinnable' with user-swappable faceplates. Not for everybody, but kind of cool. If they can't be found in stores and if they shoot like poo then it really doesn't matter though.</p>

<p>I'll be the guy that's excited about a lens I can afford. Although I wish the new DA35 was f/2... a half stop isn't going to kill me. Seriously. Bokeh at f/2.8 is generally pleasing; just ask the DA40. I can <em>afford</em> it.... Wait.... did I say that out loud? (don't let the wife read this....)</p>

<p>I dig the idea behind the K-r. It's a small step in the right direction. And frankly (since apparently my name is Frank...) compared to my DS.... everything is uphill from here, but I try to enjoy what I <em>do</em> have instead of wanting what I <em>don't</em> have. But then again, I'm a vulture.</p>

<p>The K-r video is straight out of Golden. That's what Golden is like from top to bottom. They're generally informal and try to script jokes a little too much. So if you've always wondered: That's really what Golden, CO is like. If you've ever known anyone from Boulder, CO (a mere 20 minutes North) you'll be glad Pentax is in Golden. Boulder is .... unfortunate. :-D</p>

<p>My thoughts <a href="http://enticingthelight.com/2010/09/09/pentax-finally-announce-new-equipment/">here,</a> if anyone cares.</p>

<p>Good job on the K-r, tremendous fail on the DA L 35mm f/2.4. I'm sure they'll sell loads in pink as companions to the K-r in kits, and that's good for the bottom line, but they've insulted long-time Pentax users who <em>still</em> need <strong>a frickin affordable fastish normal prime</strong>.</p>

<p>It's. Not. That. Difficult, Pentax.</p>

<p><strong><em>That's</em></strong> the much-anticipated announcement?! I'm sorry, but there's gotta be more than that or there's going to be a long line at the strychnine stand over at PF. There have been pretty consistent and credible rumors about a note-worthy from Pentax release this month and, while this might qualify in a perverse sort of way, I can't believe this is it.</p>

<p>Dave et al., there <em>will</em> be more stuff announced at Photokina proper. The K-5, for starters. Then there might be an 18-135mm consumer lens.</p>

<p>Like I said in my blog post, this is still not enough, not in the current climate of innovation and expansion set by the other brands. There better be a TC and a couple other NEEDED lenses announced, and I would even say they need to announce the immediate release of a MILC and show a FF prototype under glass.</p>

<p>The DA35 f/2.4 is an <strong>affordable</strong> prime. Hats off for Pentax for thinking of the novice or newer, amateur.<br>

The K-r essentially improves over the K-x, regardiess of how it is positioned. Another well-done move, take what already wins awards, listen to users and improve the capabilities. Also looks like the first Pentax AA unit that has voltage regulation to handle the increased Li-Ion input. Well done!</p>

A826849D-9CF0-6C1F-CD7C-8D85ADCB8FD9

<p>Although I'm not sure I need one I agree the 35 is interesting just because it's affordable. A step in the right direction IMO but as I already have a DA40 I doubt I'll be getting one. Unless it might get bundled with the K-r body for next to nothing...<br>

The K-r looks nice. Nothing earth shattering and it looks like no weather sealing, but hopefully a capable camera. AF points are back which is nice and the high ISO sounds interesting. The proof will be in the handling and most importantly the IQ.</p>

<p>The DA35/2.4 is also notable for being light -- 124 grams. That's not much heavier than a body cap. The lens hood will add significantly to the weight!<br>

Hybrid aspherical element, eh? Must be a plastic aspherical element molded to one side of a glass element. Also a plastic lens mount, obvious in the picture. Very much a cost-engineered lens. Not for "enthusiasts".<br>

Perhaps they view the K-r and DA35/2.4 pair as the digital replacement for the K1000 and 50/2.0 pair so loved by introductory photography classes.</p>

<p>To all of those who are loving the DA L 35mm f/2.4: Please go <a href="http://enticingthelight.com/2010/09/09/pentax-finally-announce-new-equipment/#dal35mm">here</a> and see the comparison to the Sony and Nikon equivalents. Unless they sell it for $125-150, I think it's an insult of a lens.</p>

<p>And I'm still waiting, 3 years on, for a DA 28mm f/2.</p>

<p>Even for small lens value of distort very important! Compare those items like pro-for fast f number ,will be some thing wrong for me(going to get one for BW) ,however price on unmarked lens ring should be publicly recognize for less than Sony or Nikkor!</p>

<p>Will they ever bundle a digital body with a prime again like in the old film days? After schlepping the Super Takumar 35mm F2 for a few days a lighter slower prime starts to make sense and aren't most photos made at F5.6-11 anyway? As long as l get a bright viewfinder and acceptable corner sharpness fully open I could get interested despite my dislike for the make of most plastic lenses.</p>

<p>While I'm still going to steer clear of calling it an "insult" I will also note that the Sony and Nikkor include nearly-silent in-lens AF motors, while the Pentax is not SDM. Yet another reason this lens should be $160 instead of $220. I'm still kind of expecting cheaper prices with kits and/or rebates.</p>

<p>Pentax just needs to get it in their heads that this lens is an important piece of attracting people to the system and is a good candidate for loss-leader pricing if there ever was one.</p>

<p>K-r looks like a decent evolutionary upgrade. No surprises but on paper looks just fine.</p>

<p>This 35mm lens. Hmm. Can't fault Pentax for getting into the consumer prime market, good on them. But at Miserere pointed out, it's well beaten by the competition (on paper). Losing in price and speed, it's only advantage is size. That's not new for Pentax, but for a budget prime you'd think a few cm of size isn't a big deal. I also have absolutely no interest in colours, but if it helps Pentax sell gear, I can't really fault that.</p>

<p>The idea is fine, but I think there are more pressing requirements in the lens line up (I'm biased towards higher end gear), like a pro level fast normal, and a fast moderate wide. Granted, the optically great FA* 31mm is currently there too, but I have a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 on the way for a fraction of the price.</p>