Animated GIFs from photo sequences

I have been playing with making GIFs from some photos I had taken in sequence. If anyone else has done this, I'd love to see them. I couldn't see any appropriate forum to start this thread so I'm giving 'No words' a shot. If the admins want to chime in as to where it should go, I'm all ears.

By the way, this ship is the Dona Francisca. If you are interested, it is for sale. The owner is asking U$S30million. It does have accommodation for a crew of 7 plus the passengers.

Dona-Francesa.thumb.gif.86e7e2e0e64ac479a2b7472777bd4580.gif

• Like 1

you just invented the cinematograph :)

He He. Thanx Luis but I take no credit except for the photos of the Dona Francisca.

Apparently this feature has been in PS for a long time.

The GIFs are a bit of fun but they sure make BIG files. I swear I can see Popeye on the deck.

• Like 1

clouds-GIF.gif.9e9620fec24727fb6871f5b5e95edec4.gif

Here is a smoother version using 25 frames and 128 colors rather than 64. This is about a 7 MB file, so well within the 1 GB limit. The first GIF was less than 1 MB, which I was assuming was the limit.

Interesting that I have the clouds moving in the opposite direction frtom the first GIG! Not sure how I managed to do that.

Edited by Glenn McCreery
  • Like 1

47483738661_122d369362.jpg

schooling-fish-1-of-6-at-25-percent by Tom Yin, on Flickr

My first attempt at an animated gif, but it doesn't animate for some reason when I post it to Flickr. What am I doing wrong? The file is large, over 4 MB. It is taken from a video, one screen every 6 and downsized to 1/4 of normal size.

I discovered that if you click on the image, it will take you to my Flickr site with that gif, which is still not animated, but if you then click on the download icon (downward arrow), but just 'view all sizes' without downloading, it then animates. Odd...

Edited by tcyin

Phil S, that's very nice.

It is a large file that takes a while to load. I see that it contains 84 images. My internet isn't the speediest down here in coastal Uruguay.

I wonder why make a GIF from a video rather than just compressing the video and using it as an MPEG or other video format? Would a video showing the same thing be over 20MB?

I'd like to see more GIFs created from a small sequence of photos taken as stills, like Colin's above, or an animation created from a single photo, like this below, which I posted on the Post Processing Challenge last week. (975K).

That's what I was implying in the title of the thread when I initiated it.

My curiosity was raised by examples and tutorials on how to add motion to a single still photo. A popular one is to add motion to a waterfall in a single still image.

GIF-on-Ball-timeline.thumb.gif.73c4aa8bedaeee12557f96b8325bca96.gif

• Like 1

• 1 year later...