Animal behavior book recommendations

nature-photography

Mark, I suppose you live in the US. Well, at least we don't have racoons in our backyard over here in The Netherlands. Remind that the internet is even bigger than the US. :-)

<p>

Although I can't recommend you any books on "backyard" animal behaviour, if you are looking for books on the behaviour of african wildlife, I have some tips.

<p>

One of the best books is still: "The Safari Companion, A guide to watching african animals" by Richard Estes. For more information, see <a href="http://www.wildpicture.com/pages/books/book03.htm">my book review</a>.

<p>

I have just received another book that looks very promising: "Creatures of habit". Haven't read it completely yet.

<a href="http://www.wildpicture.com/pages/books/book36.htm">A full review</a> on this one will appear within a few days. Pictures and short description are online already. This book seems to be so new that Amazon doesn't have it on their site yet. As soon as they get it, I will provide a link.

<p>

The first book is a field guide, a book to take with you on safari. Although I would recommend studying it a lot before the trip. The second book is a bigger book (hardcover) with good text but also very nice photographs and should be read at home.

<p>

Regards,<br>

Hans<br>

<a href="http://www.wildpicture.com">Wildpicture.com</a>

I have "How to spot an owl". The title says it all. It's about how, when and where to find them, species by species. Very well done. I've heard here there were other books in the same serie

(How to spot a ______). I think that once you find a subject, it is very important to study its behavior as an individual.

Not exactly backyard wildlife, David Mech's books on wolves are simply a pleasure to read.

If you continue with an interest in animal behavior you might consider picking up "An Introduction to Behavioural Ecology" edited by Krebs & Davies. You don't have to have a Ph.D. to understand it, but it is fairly technical. This book gives a good overview of the behavioral ecology of many different types of animals. It lays out the underlying reasons why scientists think many animals behave the way that they do, particularly in regards to mating and foraging behavior.

Like I said, its probably more technical than you are looking for now, but keep it in mind if behavior begins to peak your interest.

I second the recommendation for 'the Stokes Guides' - excellent.

- three volumes on birds

- one volume on amphibians and reptiles

- one volume on insect lives

- one volume on nature in winter

- one volume on mammals (animal tracking and behavior)

The above cover the 'most common' North American animals, with good life history descriptions.

The "How to Spot..." series include "A Fox", "an Owl" and "Hawks and Eagles" - also excellent.

One of the most invaluable sources for this type of book is your local Audubon chapters bookstore (if they have one). They have species accounts as well as incredibly detailed regional accounts which have proven to be the most valuable resource for me.

Watchable Wildlife is another series worth considering. This covers a specific state and list where, when you can spot certain species. Also, there is a series of "<name of state> Wildlife Viewing Guide".

A couple of very enjoyable, readable and entertaining books on this subject are "Up North/A Guide to Ontario's Wilderness from Blackflies to the Northern Lights" and the follow-up book "Up North Again" by Doug Bennet and Tim Tiner, published by Reid Books Canada. These have descriptions and anecdotes about birds, mammals, fish, reptiles, plants, etc. You can flip through these books and just stop to read whatever grabs your attention.

ISBN 0-409-91101-1 Up North

ISBN 0-7710-1115-6 Up North Again

If you're into insects, there are a couple of good books. "Life on a Little Known Planet: A Biologist's View of Insects and their World" Originally published in 1968, revised and updated in 1993. A bit wordy, but readable.

One of my absolute favourites is "Broadsides from the Other Orders/ A Book of Bugs" by Sue Hubbell, published by Random House ISBN 0-679-75300-1. This book is highly entertaining, and gives a good introduction into the lives of various insects.

Try "The Birder's Handbook" by Ehrlich, Dobkins, et. al. Once you identify a bird and want to know more about its behavior, what it eats, etc. then this book is an excellent reference. There are interesting essays on particular aspects of bird behavior or biology spread throught the book. This is a book you will keep referring to over and over and is an ideal companion to a field guide.