And now for something completely different - TMC Pocket Projector

JDMvW

TMC Pocket Projector

In 1985 Herb Keppler discovered a really かわいい (Kawaii LINK Kawaii - Wikipedia) little "pocketable" projector:

"Eureka, the answer has been found. TMC (standing for the Taylor-Merchant Corporation, a firm long associated with audio visual products) imports a great little unit made by the major projector manufacturer in Japan where· it 's called the Cabin 150. It 's mostly metal , very solid' weighs 3 lbs. , has a 60mm f/2.8 lens of good quality ... and, being 8 '14 x 3 x 7 in. , fits nicely into an average briefcase. List price is $84.50 [1985]. ... it works very well. You just slip a single slide in the top."

I rediscovered that article just the other day. I had searched before on eBay, but the prices were more than I would pay on what is now almost a "hog's hip pocket" projector. When I searched the other day, There was one in box of a slightly more basic model than Keppler's for BIN of only $8--even with postage, it was still less than a fancy pizza, which, as you old timers know, is my measure for much of the old crap I end up buying....

I am a camera collector but I haven't bought a camera for a month [applause from fellow Camera Collectors Anonymous members]

However, I did buy this little projector. :(

This is not so monumental as a (new) Foton, but I figure that a couple of you, at least, might be interested in this oddity. So....

First the strip tease, unveiling of the gem, Old in Box [OIB}:

TMC-Pocket-Projector-79.jpg.78f1087d680841baea3a11e7322e0a0a.jpg

/

TMC-Pocket-Projector-81.jpg.03a7084c31de9efc5626f1f583fc15a0.jpg

TMC-Pocket-Projector-83.jpg.051db03993a699164b4ebe2a3e5e0bca.jpg

and the little gem, ready for use:

TMC-Pocket-Projector-84.thumb.jpg.6578605fc5d61df544f78b81fa60c763.jpg

My "Pocket Projector" is working, but I am waiting before using it until I have received the 100w, out-of-production projector bulb for it. Of course, the bulb was more expensive than the projector.

Mine has the two individual slide slider, and a smaller device for ready-made film strips:

in the strip holder

TMC-film-strip-1.jpg.a22fa9a97b531eb3eae9741352565560.jpg

the film strip itself:

/

TMC-film-strip-2.jpg.7be58f87a338f2478b15eadb68799cb8.jpg

You can see that my outfit was used by somebody at LaSalle Extension in the interior decoration unit. The film itself was obviously not Kodachrome.

de gustibus non disputandum est

Edited by JDMvW
  • Like 3

That is almost exactly like my first projector - IIRC, from Boots the Chemist, and labelled a waste of money by my then wife until she saw the slides projected onto the creamy/beige wall (a screen was a waste of money, too). In later years it earned its keep projecting home-made oil slides for the mobile disco with which I was involved.

• 7 months later...

The description of the 60mm lens, reminds me that I have a 2.5in lens for my Kodak Carousel projector (that I have barely used since about when I bought that lens).

The usual lens is 4in, which requires a big room to get big images, but with a shorter lens, big images in a smaller room.

I remember Kodak selling a 2in lens, but only for use with 110 slides (in 2in mounts). There was also a miniature

Carousel projector for smaller 110 slides, but you could have them mounted in either mount size.

I now have a DVD player that will play DVDs (or CDs) full of JPG files on the TV screen (only 37in, but big enough),

and so very rarely get out the actual slide projector. I could scan slides and display them that way.

• Like 1

-- glen

Neat! I have a remarkably similar device labeled "Minolta 16" which I bought decades ago to project some Minox slides. The beastie took standard 2x2 mounts but was set up for the 16mm frame size. It has a 40mm f/2.5 P-Rokkor lens and a 75W bulb. Think I'm still on the original bulb -- hasn't seen much use!

Somehow or other it seems I've ended up with both one of those TMC projectors, and with a Minolta 16. The Minolta came with a little stack loader too, and a hard carrying case. It's so close that the parts are almost interchangeable, but not quite.

They're actually pretty serviceable little projectors, though not much use these days. Not too too long ago, I used one for showing slides to relatives and the like. I have a little table top screen to go with them, though I'd be hard but to tell you where it is at the moment.

They do run pretty hot, though. I would hesitate to do long shows with one. Keep the accompanying lecture short!