And Kodak P3200 is now back

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Dave Luttmann, Feb 23, 2018.

1. paul ron

paul ron NYC

ok so who got their orders? let see those pics already?

2. Ok, finally I have some examples from my new order of P3200. All were from this past Saturday night, with a Yashica TL-E and a 35mm f/2.8 Auto Chinon lens, processed in HC-110B to ISO 6400 (8 minutes at 75 degrees).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's so much nicer to use this film fresh, no base fogging as happens easily with TMZ; I have some that expired in 2014 and it's barely usable.

3. The above makes me glad I ordered a bunch. But dang, gotta wait as they were sold out.

allancobb likes this.
  4. paul ron

paul ron NYC

awsome examples.

thanks... cant wait to see what the others are doing.

allancobb likes this.
  5. What did you shoot it at?

6. I used shutter speeds of either 1/30th or 1/60th, all handheld. Apertures were either wide open at f/2.8 or at f/4; the occasional bright floodlit buildings were 1/60th at f/5.6 tops.

These exposures were based mainly on prior experience in similar settings and developed to 6400 to cover the worst case. Even though initial scans showed a few seemingly blown-out highlights, they were easily reduced (with details coming out in PS elements).

Cheers, Allan

Moving On likes this.
  7. Thanks.
    What speed film was the camera set for?
    The reason I ask is I have read that the 3200 was 1600 and also read somewhere else it was 800 with the "3200" representing a push value.

ROCHESTER, N.Y. February 23, 2018 –Kodak Alaris announced today that it is bringing back KODAK PROFESSIONAL T-MAX P3200 Film / TMZ, a multi-speed panchromatic black-and-white negative film. While the nominal film speed of P3200 TMZ is ISO 800, the “P” means it’s designed to be push processed to EI 3200 or higher. This film excels when shooting in low light or when capturing fast action. It is ideally suited for handheld street scene photography, night work, and in dimly lit venues where you can’t use flash.
    Kodak Alaris is bringing back T-Max P3200 high-speed B&W film

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  8. I didn’t actually use a meter the other night, but I was exposing for situations that would call for EI 6400 (and developed accordingly) if I had one. I generally find that with this film the speed and aperture settings I used above work well in night time street and cityscapes scenarios.

It’s true, the film is nominally ISO 800 and is therefore pushed higher, but that’s what it’s really designed for, outperforming slower films pushed 3 stops (Tri-X, TMY) in shadow detail characteristics.

Moving On likes this.
  9. Thanks.
    I'm still working on getting freed from the meter.

10. I suspect that on many old cameras, or old handheld meters, you can't go up to ASA (from the old days) 6400.

11. Quite true, in fact the camera I was using (a circa-1970 Yashica TL-E) has a highest meter setting of 800.

12. This is bigger news than many have thought (IMHO) since a write up of the film's return and photo of box appeared the latest issue of Digital Imaging Reporter. It was the only film write up in the whole magazine.

13. A bit late to see this thread, but for what it's worth, a few comments as I used this film quite extensively from the late 1980s till the mid 2000s.

Even recently I've been using some which were frozen when it was discontinued.

Excellent film, one of my faves. Very chunky grain, which was it's look really. At 800 it was quite flat but pushed to 1600 or 3200 was excellent. 6400 was about as far as to be realistic. Beyond it didn't look that great, but pre D3s and modern digital, it was all we had.

I used D76, HC110 and TMAX dev, all excellent, even D76 at 1:1. I even experimented with Rodinal but at the lower ASAs, interesting look esp if you're a grain junkie!

Important note though, a terrible film to "stash" as even in the freezer, the film fogs quite rapidly (relatively to say, TriX or Tmax 400). According to Kodak literarture, it's to do with background radiation. Also definitely one to hand inspect when passing through airport Xrays. Pretty much all my "stashed" TMZ has pretty high levels of base fog even though it has been deep frozen since being bought fresh at the time. Also keep cool as the heat does very much does affect the fog levels.

Very very happy to be able to get fresh rolls of this, though admittedly these last few years have been using DELTA 3200 which is pretty nice too.

allancobb likes this.
  14. I haven't had a chance to try the one I bought yet.

It seems that others aren't saying much since April.

15. paul ron

paul ron NYC

it was a big hit at the time. seems it petered out. im sure kodak will be very disappointed.

16. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

Just because no one here posted any pictures doesn't mean the film isn't selling.

17. I shot one roll of it at work, and have had a second sitting in my F2SB for a few months now.

Here's one of the better ones from the roll I shot. This was shot in an F2 Photomic with an Auto-Nikkor 45mm f/2.8 GN. It was shot at EI 3200 and developed in TMAX developer.

frame 1ed-web.jpg

Dave Luttmann likes this.
  18. Love the grain. I've got 10 rolls to play with. Gonna be fun.

19. Makes me want to go pull out my old High School annuals....

20. Ok, here are a couple more, from Bourbon Street on a Friday night, with a Yashica TL-Super, 35mm f/2.8 Auto-Chinon... both are crops due to getting photo-bombed each time (and trying hard not to get bombed by flying beer).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers, Allan