And Kodak P3200 is now back

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Dave Luttmann, Feb 23, 2018.

1. It would be interesting to know how the pre-ordering goes. Will they sell out of the initial shipment?

I'll get maybe two or three, but am really waiting for the Ektachrome (is that really gonna be here?)
  2. I'll definitely buy some just to support it, but this is not one of my favorite emulsions.

I too am waiting for Ektachrome.
  3. Count me in...
  4. paul ron

paul ron NYC

id like to see some examples of what this film can do.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  6. paul ron

paul ron NYC

thanks mark. i was reading about it on another forum, apug, ang there is talk about it actually being rated at iso 800 but can be pushed to 3200.

here is kodak blurb on it..... scroll down to it....

Kodak Alaris

also its only available in 35mm.

i never had a need for it, but sounds interesting.

btw what sort of shutter speeds do you think were used in those shots? looks like it was slow, out of focus in most examples.
  7. Yes, I know those videos aren’t really a good way to assess the film, but that was the latest, quickest reference I could find. I expect those shots were hand held and there’s no way to tell how adept the guy was at holding at his selected shutter speed.The second video pointed out the 800 push thing. I plan to try some and see for myself. The home developing of the black and white is new to me.
  8. Lots of images out there by searching for TMax 3200 or TMZ, etc., but here are some of mine:

And here is a link to the P3200 Flickr Group with more. This has always been one of my favorite films, having a distinct "look," which is why I would use it as opposed to just high-ISO digital. I was sad to see it go and I'm elated (already pre-ordered some) to see its return.
  9. To do for the rest of this week(time permitting)

1. Shoot and develop a roll of P3200 from my "stash"

2. Pre-order some fresh from B&H

I want to keep a few rolls on hand for a direct comparison when the fresh stock gets here.
    allancobb likes this.
  10. paul ron

paul ron NYC

perhaps because the only examples are from 35mm format, they are so grainy.

here is tmy-400 120 645 rated at 1600. thats why i dont see any sense in reviving 3200 which kodak says is really an iso 800 film capable of 3200. i could have easily pushed one nore stop from my 400 film and still have less grain.

marksmith likes this.
  11. Nice shot Ron.

It's true you can push TMY to 3 stops, but the look, to me, of P3200 pushed to that level is different. Not only that, P3200 is designed to go farther to 6400 with standard developers, and all the way to EI 25,000 in TMax and XTOL developers.

From the Kodak datasheet, "Because of the shape of the characteristic curve of the film, you will obtain better shadow detail and highlight separation when you expose it at EI 3200 or 6400 than you can obtain with 400-speed films pushed by 3 stops." This is what sets it apart technically, but as far as aesthetics are concerned, it's the unique tonal and medium-coarse grain qualities of P3200 that I find pleasing.
  12. Sorry, I meant nice shot Paul! :)
  13. paul ron

paul ron NYC

interesting, thanks for the data sheet.

im looking forward to seeing what everyone does with this film.

on apug, one of the advertisers has a test roll fresh from kodak. hes going to try it and display some results soon.

more to follow.
  14. I've got 30 rolls on pre-order. Super stoked. If this works out, it may be my goto for street work.
  15. I will have to try some.

And yes, Kodak recommends TMY up to 3200, so the main use for this should be even higher.
  16. They "recommend" 3200, but the datasheet goes up to 6400 for a lot of common developers and as high as 25,000 for some.
  17. Well, I just ordered 5 rolls. I also did 5 rolls of Delta 3200, which I've never shot, so I can make a side-by-side comparison.

Interestingly enough, I think the only time I bought any at retail I paid around $9.50 or $10 at the local camera store. This would have been 2006ish. That store(still in business) is always a dollar or two more expensive than B&H, but I find it interesting that for a "new" emulsion the price is not that different.
  18. TMZ has times up to 25,000.

As well as I knew it, the reason for discontinuing TMZ was that TMY worked well enough up to 3200:

(and in the same three developers that are used for pushing TMZ).

Most films will stay in "good enough" condition frozen, much longer than the printed date.

That seems not to be true for TMZ, so that could be a reason to bring it back.

I have some old TMZ that hasn't been stored frozen. It might work at EI 400, but otherwise has
    a lot of fog.
  19. They say that using ISO conditions it rounds to 800.

Note, though, that there is a whole characteristic curve, not necessarily represented by a single number.

It is more obvious on the Ilford films that the curve doesn't follow the usual shape.