And another one bites the dust - Ilford.

Look like Ilford may be on the way out.

<p>

<a

href="http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/business/general/s/128/128120_

fears_for_700_jobs_as_ilford_faces_closure.html">Ilford faces

closure</a>

<p>

<em>MORE than 700 jobs in Cheshire were today at risk after photographic products maker Ilford Imaging was put into administration.

The 740 staff at Ilford's factory in Mobberley, near Knutsford, were told the shock news today.

No job losses have been announced yet at the company, founded in 1879. Three partners from the Manchester office of accountancy firm Grant Thornton are conducting a review of the business, which they will try to sell as a going concern.

Should they fail, the company will be put into receivership and finally into liquidation.

</em>

<p>

Who said film was dead...

I don't recall seeing any notice hereabouts that Agfa spun-off its entire photo film division from the main company last week. It's still afloat but the separation from the main industrial and medical imaging group doesn't exactly strengthen Agfa's commitment to film, either. I'd look for Fuji to be interested in buying up all or part of the Ilford "family silver."

Damn it man!

How am I supposed to learn a film if they keep yanking them away from me as I try to learn them?

I just started developing my own film and was planning on taking a 10-week darkroom workshop in the fall. I did a few rolls of Tri-X, but some news from Kodak made me worry about its longevity (I know it's been around forever, but does anyone feel Kodak's actions are indicative of an ongoing commitment to film?), so I decided to try Ilford.

I just shot a roll of PanF50+ and Delta 3200 this weekend and I loved them both!

What's left?

Is Neopan any good for 35mm?

This is getting really annoying!

I agree it is annoying. I have been been slowly moving to Ilford and away from Kodak. I know that Kodak's days in the B&W market are numbered. I was counting on Ilford being the sole manufacturer left standing after the dust had cleared from the plunging sales of B&W products. Maybe I need to revisit Fuji's line.

I mentioned it, Lynn, because the Agfa story apparently slipped under PN's radar, also because it's sadly resonant with Bob's Ilford link. Agfa's situation isn't nearly as dire as Ilford's but the decision by Agfa management to demote its film division to third string status ain't exactly good news.Ilford can still pull its corporate socks up. Still, the partnership with Fuji on a chromogenic product probably means that Fuji might pick up Ilford cheap long before the receivers arrive--if indeed they ever do.

AIIIIEEEE!!! Say it ain't so, Joe!!!

You just made me choke on my soda when I read this - right after I wrote a post about how film isn't gonna die!

I'm going to have to watch this very closely - I've never been a big shooter of Ilford B/W films, but I use their B/W papers a LOT and I'll be very peeved if I have to switch over now...

The news about AGFA has been on PN since last Thursday in the Photography News forum. What I thought was interesting is that the Corporation financed the Top Management's buyout of the imaging division. I don't guess they had a choice with no apparent buying emerging in the search.

If anyone needs a large supply of 4x5 or 8x10 inch sheet film and Kodak, Ilford or Agfa still makes it, I would BUY, BUY, BUY while it was still available.

I wouldn't worry too much about 35mm Tri-X at the moment, but it'll be sheet film first, 220, then 120 and then ???

I understand that Fuji has lost more of a market share than Kodak. Ilford has apparently held their own, but as we just found out, not making a profit.

From talking with some people in the know, Kodak has apparently cut enough losses with the closing down of the Fair Lawn Kodachrome processor that some people feel K-14 is safe for another few years. Apparently the hemorrhaging has been stopped, but the patient is still in "serious" condition.

You don't go bankrupt in England, the government just closes you down if you are insolvent with no chance for a recovery.

It appears all film companies are in serious condition, but aren't quite dead and buried!

Robert Johnson

I was born and bred on 35mm and I would use it until the day I cannot find any film on Earth no matter how much I'm willing to spend.

But seriously, obviously there are quite a few people who prefer to use film in this digital age. Isn't it enough to form a niche market? Maybe the half dead film companies can just merge into one and just provide for the niche market, by mail order most likely. I'm sure they can still make a lot of money.

What about those of us who prefer to use all manual cameras? Do they have a digital all manual SLR? If not, I hope they can make some digital chips for the all manual cameras in the future, when the technology is more matures. After all, it's pretty easy to make them for all manual cameras without all the complex features.

I seriously hope for all photographers they save the business. I use Ilford and learned on it in my photo classes in high school. It will feel very weird not being able to buy it anymore. They have some great products. I wonder if Fuji would get involved or not. My question is whether Ilford will retain its name and current products as is if someone does buy them out. If Efke can survive, I can't see why Ilford can't. But this is scaring me because its really starting to sound like film will be very hard to get in the future, especially for the larger format cameras. If Agfa and Ilford did merge, I wonder who's black and white film recipes would be sold as they both have great products. But I doubt this. It would be a great way to bring APX 25 back out again.

Thank god I don't have a darkroom anymore.....

It's too bad.. HP5, FP4 and Delta 3200 were among the tops for me in the B&

W film world (along w. Tri-X and APX 100).

Although.. I'm glad I'm not in that filthy, smelly, toxic darkroom anymore...

thank god for Photoshop...

Im in what is supposed to be a "Advanced Black And White" Photography class, well its funny now nearly 2/3rds of the class ALL DOES DAMN DIGITAL! I MEAN! CMON PEOPLE! All you photographer that I have changed from working hard in the darkroom to create a hand crafted print...to now sitting your butt down in a chair and moving a little mouse around... MAKES ME UPSET! Its REALLY hurting is photographer that use film! and I use Ilford Delta 100 in 8x10 size...that is something that is getting hard to find! NO WAY am I changing film eaither, if it comes down to it I will buy 10000 boxes of it and deep freeze it. Maybe I should buy those boxes anyways just to show Ilford that people still NEED there product!

<i>...but it'll be sheet film first, 220, then 120 and then ???</i>

<br><br>No, it'll be 220 first--it'll be gone before Kodachrome. And it wouldn't surprise

me that much if 120 disappeared before 4x5, but both those events are well over a decade

from now. But 220 and Kodachrome? 5 years max.

<br><br>The question is whether someone will have the guts to slash Ilford down to a

size that can survive in the current market. I believe it can be done, but I'm far from

certain it WILL be done. Sometimes so much effort is spent avoiding bloody surgery that

the whole patient is lost.<br><br>

Kodak, for their endless litany of faults, suddenly seem like they might have a decent

vision of how to keep the patient alive as long possible after all. No point in being heroic

about saving each and every emulsion only to lose everything. (That's spoken as a Tech

Pan addict currently getting freezer space ready.)