Anamorphic Lens and Adapter for Mamiya RZ67

artmaughan

Hello!

I am hoping the Hive Mind will have insights into this option so here goes:

Currently looking for an Anamorphic Lens (and adapter) for the Mamiya RZ67.

I currently see a few options for anamorphic lenses though unsure if there is an option to adapt them to the body of the Mamiya RZ67.

It would be great to know of anyone's experiences shooting on the Mamiya RZ67 while using anamorphic lens.

It feels like an amazing option to do some real creative work.

Thanks!

Art

If my example is anything to go by, anamorphic adaptors are heavy and cumbersome - and pretty useless for stills.

They nearly all take the form of a front-of-lens adaptor BTW, and so only need a filter thread converter and a suitable prime lens.

For a start they have a limited angle of view. When I bought mine I had visions of using it with a wideangle lens; alas no use! It only works with a standard lens or longer. It gives the equivalent AoV of a 35mm (on miniature film) or thereabouts.

Secondly the conversion to panoramic format loses definition, unless you're only projecting a transparency. Scanning and digital aspect correction results in an image that might just as well have been vertically cropped and enlarged.

My anamorphic adapter has been used only two or three times while I experimented with it, and now lies dormant somewhere. It's so heavy I was lucky not to damage a camera or lens while using it. However YMMV.

Thanks Paul.

I might have got around to making something like that if the anamorphic adaptor had shown any usefulness.

But, I've just been struck by the idea that sticking it on the front of a shift lens might have some potential. A support bracket that allows shift might present a bit of a challenge though!