An OLD Car Question

<p>A while back, I picked up a couple of glass plate negatives at a tag sale. I finally got a scan of them, and this one brings out the old car buff in me too (I once restored a 1952 MG TD, every nut and bolt)<br>

Does anyone have any idea of the year and make of car. If it is any help, the photo was found in Seymour, CT (sometimes cars were produced very locally back then)<br>

Any ideas?</p><div>00WeTG-251091584.thumb.jpg.1c9e404e0308620847082b006dd4e793.jpg</div>

<p>Fender shape doesn't match Packards and the Bearcat doesn't have a windshield, but the Bearcat has almost the right shape. Also similar are Moyer and Chevrolet from the same era. Haven't found any photos matching this car yet. The license plate puts the photo in 1914 - the car is likely a 1905 to 1913 judging by the rust forming on the hood already. It does have a nice rear end setup though - leaf spring and torque arm and looks pretty beefy.</p>

<p>Neither the Mercer Raceabout nor the Stutz Bearcat had that abrupt transition from hood to dash. In fact they had no transition at all, having a hood wide enough to contain the entire dash as its back end. The conspicuous shape of a Packard's radiator was carried back through the hood. That wide flat dash without a gradual cowl sets this car apart from many, and from most after a certain date. I'd guess this is in the 1910-12 range. It looks a bit too new for much older, but it looks a few years old in the picture. This looks like a pretty sporty runabout, but not a particularly fancy one, and not one whose manufacturer had a distinctive style. Of course the headlights, like everything else, could have been changed, but note that it has steel, not brass. It looks slightly like a Hupmobile, but none of the Hubmobiles I've come up with on the net have such a long running board, or such a long body in general. Another thing to note if hunting for comparisons is the lack of any louvers in the hood. I suspect that with no further brand ID, this will be virtually impossible to figure out, considering how many different makes of cars were available in ~1910, and among those, how many might have been fitted with custom bodies as well.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>since this is a photography forum i hope you wont mind me asking a couple photo related questions ;) <br>

I wonder what is the size of the plate you scanned? also how much did you pay for it ? I never see anything like this for sale at tag sales or garage sales near me.</p>

<p>Thank you all for the replies. FYI, the MG TD was sold off in a divorce settlement. Pictures are all with the ex wife. It was my sweetheart. Dan, the glass plate is 4x6. It came in a paper envelope, with manufacturers sticker on it. CYKO. There were two glass plates. I will attach the second picture here. There is an address written on the outside of the envelope, and that is the house/barn I bought it from. Price was one dollar US. On the package there was a set of prices, that included the developing and printing of the plated\s, and I assume a roll of film. I don't have it here with me, but the prices were like 1 roll 10 cents 2 plates 15 cents. Then it listed some prints and a pricel The total price on the envelope came to 66 cents. Here is the other pic</p><div>00WfUd-251777584.thumb.jpg.3dee45b8dc518009b1562fa85338a8c7.jpg</div>

<p>David, Your brother-in-law might have a good thought. Locomobile was based in Bridgeport, CT, just a few miles down the road, and probably the "big city" that folks in Seymour would travel to if they felt the need for a car. From the brief reading on Locomobile, they were pretty expensive for their time. Thank you all. Any comments on "the team"</p>

<p>Looks to me like a 1911 Model T or earlier open runabout. Only the fenders being thin without an edge is the only real difference I see. the earlier one had that type of thin fender.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2008/05/13-ford-model-t-concept-design-challenge/1911-Ford-Model-T-line-up-ad-lg.jpg">http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2008/05/13-ford-model-t-concept-design-challenge/1911-Ford-Model-T-line-up-ad-lg.jpg</a></p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>It may look like a model T but it is not. The fords have the transverse leaf spring and this has a leaf per side, front and rear. To me it looks like a 1910-1911 Hudson. Here is a<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1910_Hudson_Model_20_Roadster_red_ny.jpg"> picture of a 1910 </a>and here is <a href="http://auto.ocregister.com/2010/06/10/my-totally-hot-car-1911-hudson/35623/">a set of pictures of a 1911.</a> The spring mounts look the same, front and rear. Fenders the same although this car seems to have the running board like the 1911 but the same rear fender as the 1910. The tank and trunk box look similar if not the same as 1911. The way the spare is carried appears to be the same also. The hinged windshield appears very close to the 1910 too. The wheel hubs look the same too.<br /> Anyway thats my 2 cents. What do you think?</p>