An exception, or...

peter_sanders2

<p>I, as a rule, do not use flash on animals, especially nocturnal ones. However, deer commonly look directly into everything from the "brights" on a car to a 500mW laser pointer, by one account, unfazed. Would the same apply to flash? If not, does it apply if they have already been staring into head lights (assuming that doesn't light them well enough)?</p>

<p>I shoot with flash a LOT at night, outdoors. I use up to 10,000 watt seconds of power. To put in perspective, a Nikon SB-900 is roughly equiv. to about 80 watt seconds. My thinking is that since the flash duration is SO short, it doesn't bother anything at all. My philosophy is to power up and blast away!<br>

Kent in SD</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>I would think it may cause red eye if you shoot with the flash mounted on camera. I think I would try to bait them with corn or a mineral block. After they get used to the food being there, I'd set up off camera flashes and stake out a good vantage point facing where you expect the deer to be. Wear camo, or better yet get a blind. I know this goes well beyond the original question, but I think the unattractiveness of flash photography comes from direct flash photos. If you can shoot with off camera flash and be creative, you can get some very interesting, unique, and attractive photos.</p>